Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

That's always been the case for me. We sure did trade down. But years ago when I was complaining about how Chloe was being thrown under the bus for angst to Chelsea's life, I was told Chloe was a nobody anyway so it didn't matter. 

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You wouldn't have been told that by me.

Even though Chloe had been written as a pretty vapid character most of her time in GC, Chelsea was also written as an equally, if not more, vapid character. I often mentioned in posts, that together, one character constantly seemed to cancel the other out- one made the other redundant.

Even given that, I've always asserted that if I had to choose between the two characters, I'd choose Chloe because, at the very least, she had some personal history in GC while Chelsea just had ties to Newman and Abbott men.

A decent writer could easily create story that had to do with Chloe's personal history being Esther's daughter and being named after the town's most illustrious resident, Katherine Chancellor. Chloe seemed to have a personal history all on her own that could be mined for material, while Chelsea's personal history in GC would always be tied to a man from one of the town's prominent families.

To SS's credit, Chloe was actually written with a bit of depth during most of her run this time around (and Chloe and Chelsea were no longer interchangeable this time around) but I fear SS has mucked it up by tying Chloe's child to Kevin.

Here's just a thought but

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Bella was named after the Bell family by Angelica McDaniel. Which lets me know that she was intended to be Billy's. Would CBS really name Kevin's kids after the show's creators? I think not. This is probably just a way to shelve her paternity cause the show wanted to focus on Philly/villy triangle. And Billy having a kid didn't factor into that. 

I like you scenario and I think it's spot on. Chloe will be vindicated. 

• Members

Chloe will be vindicated since we KNOW Adam isn't dead and that she helped him escape. The patnerity reveal was an unnecessary at this point. Bella would've been fine staying with Esther and off-screen. Should've been saved for return and made Billy's to tie Jill/Esther since they are living together - if Jill does return. I'm assuming Chelsea's hunt for Chloe will lead her to Adam. I can't even imagine what convoluted mess they will create to explain why he's stayed away unless I'm wrong that he was eventually exonerated from the charges. 

• Members

This is what I mean when I mention today's writers' lack of discipline in plotting out story points and how storylines will be revealed.  Some people call it slow storytelling but I think it used to be methodical, for the most part. 

As a fan of ATWT and Y&R (my Top 2 soaps growing up), I loved how the headwriters could drop breadcrumbs on certain storylines and lengthen out tidbits and plotpoints over several months to years before a reveal!  And they were able to accomplish this because they had other interesting stories going on simultaneously. The viewer never relied on just one storyline to be entertained. 

Today, it's as if writers don't know what B and C storylines are or how to create them!

• Members

Today.s show.....

Scotty is so boring. He has no story and now Victor has made him a party planner?

Please register in order to view this content

Nikki and Victor and her singing party/event.

Oh Nick was on ...I thought it was Scotty. Both are boring and so not needed.

So the big thing Jack remembered was Dina leaving him for a tennis match.

Jack vs Ashley fighting over Dina....yawn......silliness

Why are they wasting that hunk of a man on Dina's arms? He has done nothing!  He could at least appear shirtless while answering Dina's door.

• Members

And if I hear Scotty say one more time that he owes Victor ....I am going to hurl my TV set out the window. I think he has said that a million times already. Who is writing these awful scripts?

• Members

I actually like that the Abbott Siblings are reacting differently to their Mom. But that's largely because the actors are giving it their all vs. the writing itself (and the pacing has been terrible).

Jack has ALWAYS been Dina's favorite and more prone to forgive her than the others so it makes sense he'd be willing to hear her out. And Ashley has always been the most resentful of her mother (for many good reasons) while ironically morphing into a slightly more earthy version of Dina herself. 

But Traci is GLARINGLY absent from this story and it makes absolutely no sense to continue it without her around.

• Members

That's a shame. I love bad Cane. I only wished they would do a long 'fall from grace' arc where he gets exposed publically and Jill is in town.

Hehe at Victor/Nikki today.

I loved Jack/Ashley today over their mama.

Archived