Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

And why even sell it to them, GIVE it to them. If Dina is dying what is she going to do with the money from a sale? If it was really important for her to mend all wounds with her family, wouldn't giving them her company be a peace offering? Or a token of her trust & love?

It's a ridiculous as Kay leaving Chancellor Industries to Victor (given his age, she actually left it to Victor's children). And just like Kay, ( if Dina is dying) why isn't she asking her kids if they are interested in buying it if she wants the cash for some reason

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought the location shots this week were well done, along with some of the stories.  I like the turn Cane is taking, at least it makes him a little more interesting and IMO there is sound reasons why he would want to jeopardize Billy.  They've been building that up for months and to say it's out of the blue simply isn't true.

OTOH, the Scott/Victor story is not good and neither is his "investigation" into Abby.  Talk about a weak premise - this is one.  There's no reason for Victor to 1. suddenly doubt Abby's ability in running Newman and 2. think she's hiding something.  THAT came out of the blue.  Cane/Billy did not. 

All in all, it wasn't a bad week.  Not stellar by any means, but improved over the last month.  The pacing is still shitty.

• Members

The show is so directionless.

Hilary acting like 1974 Jill Foster when she runs into Julie. Wasn't she married to a very rich man a few months ago? Wasn't she into business? Why did she act like a poor teenaged girl meeting a celebrity for the first time in her life? The GC Buzz stupidity has to go and everyone should go back working at Newman and Jabot.

I enjoy Gina T., but I cannot see her as Phyllis who was obsessed with Danny Romalotti twentyfive years ago. At some point soaps have to learn to let go. Phyllis has been married to everybody, has had all kinds of scandals, divorces, she is someone's grandmother and it is stupid to write her like a young woman. She should have been a brand new character or Grace Turner.

Some Newmans need to go. Noah is just a reminder that Nick and Sharon are not as young as we think. Chelsea belongs to a another Y&R era, "the ABC Years". Summer should be forgotten like AMC's Bobby Martin and Victoria needs a different role after all these pointless kids and marriages. 

The Abby actress does not convince me at all. She looks like someone from Vanderpump Rules or America's Next Top Model and she cannot carry the next Abbott generation. Perhaps they should write her like Kimberly Simms on GL, involve her in an affair with a married man.. Cane? 

Ashley is still acting like Eileen on RHOBH. Sad, bitter, obsessing over the same things again and again and trying to pretend that everything is fine. 

I really needs this regime to do something good with Dina. The idea of killing her off sounds insane and tasteless.  

The show needs to work on its structure and the stories will be written by themselves.

• Members

One thing I can give SSM props for is that she is playing up to most fans hatred of Cane. Instead of us just simply hating him, at least we could grow to LOVE to hate him now that he's behind this ploy to bring down Billy. I can't wait for it all to blow up in his face, and he goes back to the groveling grifter he is.

• Members

Is Goddard strung out on something, or have I just started noticing his worst acting tics? He pops his eyes out every ten seconds at something. It makes him seem sketchy. Maybe I'm off base, but did his hatred for Billy not even really exist until he had blackout sex (raped?) with Juliette? He wasn't this fucked up when he was on the pain pills.

• Members

Too many of you to quote.  But I don't get the Scott/Victor - spy on Abby thing at all.  Why would Victor encourage Abby to be a leader at Newman, and then get a rat - Scott - to spy on her?  Why would he trust Scott at all, and why on Earth would Scott trust Victor?  I guess maybe if he talked to his mother and just out of some kind of respect that Victor put up the cash to save his life...but if you look at any history, you know this old coot always has alternate motives. 

Ordway - horrible.  Abby has zero purpose right now.  I didn't get the end of the relationship with Ben/Stitch...because she didn't love him?  Honey, are you blind?  Summer - same thing....these 2 are weak actresses - should have been gone a long time ago.  I actually started watching Y&R again when Marcy Rylan (whatever she is now...Emmie or something?  Lizzie from Guiding Light)...I started watching when she came to Y&R and I thought - OK, they're going to do crazy wild stuff with Abby...fun.  The swap to Ordway was just - tired.  She's not sparky, edgy, and not the actress they needed.  Hunter whatever her name is - Summer - sucks the life out of most scenes she's ever in.  Juvenile, young - not in a good way.  I don't think you can write anything serious for her because she can't handle it.  And how old is she - she should have skills by now?  If it were the time of Hayden Panettiere - that's who (at the right age) you'd want to play Abby or Summer.  These 2 actresses just don't have teeth. 

At least they've made Heinle/Snore-toria look better recently.  She looked like a ragamuffin for so long. 

• Members

I know the show hasn't been good lately but are folks pretending Cane wasn't the same guy who I've heard almost drove his wife crazy?

I was on hiatus from Y&R back then but I'm curious to find out. Is this Cane any worse than that Cane whose deception nearly drove Lily insane?  That sounds pretty nefarious to me.

Am I missing something?

• Members

I think the show has been a lot better these last few weeks. Finally has some movement

I'm loving the LA material.  Cane a destructive shark and I'm digging it. They need to end the marriage to Lilly so he can really let loose.

Kind of sad they've reverted Phyllis back to a desperate floozy trying to hold on to a man more devoted to someone else but I can't say she's not in character and Gina T is clearly having fun with it. The fact that she's doing all these hijinks over bum ass Billy makes it a little ridiculous though, but I can't lie I'm on the edge of my seat every time Victoria almost catches them so mission accomplished. I don't get the complaints about Phyllis' scenes with Hilary, they weren't played as contemporaries and damn sure not friends.

Hilary in LA has been so much fun (minus Chenbot) and proves GC Buzz would work just fine without being used as a tool to prop Mariah to high heaven. Move Mariah out of that orbit (and at this point I don't care where she goes) and keep Al Bundy's boy on recurring and use it to stir up other stories.

Jordan/DK is finally showing potential. I liked his scenes with Chelsea and Hillary last week.

I'm liking Chelsea going after Chloe. The Nick pairing still isn't working and never will. Even the material with Old Man Billy was better than this.

I might be alone in this but I HATE Tessa. Her ugly hair, her guitar, this chemistry free pairing with Noah, Nikki fawning all over her (I guess they think Nikki picking up a stray makes her the new Katherine but no) HATE HATE HATE. Get her off my screen.

I love that Neil and Devon have their own business and are actually making moves and being taken seriously. Also I like how Dina's return has shaken Ashley and Jack. We definitely need Traci to anchor things though.

They turned Scott into a sexist douche and moved him from secret agent journalist to the business stories in one episode.

Please register in order to view this content

This guy has had 4 personalities, 3 careers, and 3 love interest attempts in what 2, 3 months and none of it has worked. Time to cut their losses there.

I'm actually loving Abby's perspective in the story though and Victor's makes sense to me as well. He knows she lied about where those new funds came from, plus she's been taking advice from Auntie Jack so of course the mustache doesn't trust her. @Fevuh I didn't like Rylan at all, her type of early 00s Legally Blonde bag of acting tricks did not suit this show IMO. MO proved herself for me with the miscarriage and end of marriage to Stitch, I adore her in the role she just needs a really good love interest to anchor her and Scott definitely won't be it (cough maybe Devon though cough).

• Members

@edgeofnik agree that Dina selling to Devon and Neil doesn't compute with Dina's goal. I'm assuming it's for the inevitable battle for Mergeron when Dina dies. Winters vs Abbots is fresh (er) than abbots vs Newman for the thousandth time. 

Agree @detroitpiston. Hilary is far more entertaining when she's allowed to just be instead of being the heavy for saint Mariah. Also far more fun without Devon chastising her for everything including breathing. 

Archived