Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Only Jill & Esther are left on screen, and the show is acting like Nina, Phillip, Chance, Mac, and Brock never existed.  Even Billy isn't allowed to have a past connection to Kay anymore. Even though she was in his life all through his teenage years, and all through the Billy Miller's Billy years. Billy's not even allowed to realize he has a brother other than Jack.

They didn't add Devon to Kay's family, they replaced Kay's family with Devon.

None of this would be OK if Kevin, or Cane, was chosen to be Tucker's son, but since it's Devon, that's different it's all fine. Keemo was on screen a fraction of the time some of Kay's family was on, but there's numerous complaints about ignoring Keemo, but not the rest of Kay's family? Why? 

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

@cattykittensOh yeah, the cochlear implant that we're supposed to forget Devon has? How is Devon handicapped now?  He can hear, he doesn't need sign language or even to read lips. We see no signs of his disability. It doesn't impact him at all. 

Remember Carol? She was truly disabled. Was in a wheelchair, later walked with a cane.  This was real. These shows don't get points for characters that haven't been seen or hear from in years, or characters that aren't showing actively living with a disability

I actually had a colleague who was deaf in one ear. Of course, she didn't want to make it a "thing" but you would notice by the way she would tilt her head or ask you to repeat something if you were talking away from the ear that she listened from. I know soaps don't/can't do that type of consistency in a character.

Again, Brock is not on the show, Mac is not on the show, so the show gets no points for characters that they rarely mention. 

As for Devon, I'm not going to argue for the social merits for what he's doing with his money, except to say that Devon just started this company so we don't know yet what, if any philanthrophy he intends to do.  He's in his twenties. Whereas Jack, in his 60s only just got into philanthropy as did Nikki, with the women's shelter, so clearly Devon has plenty of time. I made the point because it's silly to me that people keep mentioning his money as if it embodies all that's wrong with the show.

But whatever, I won't mention it again. 

Jack worked at his father's knee as did Ashley, who arguably was more central to the company as she literally created many of the products in the lab.  In his twenties Jack was more concerned about bedding women than he was to devoting his life to Jabot.  I didn't mind because Terry Lester was a charming rogue in that role, although he deserved every comeuppance he ever got and he messed up royally with the company quite a few times.

Victor has earned money but he also often earned it being shady as hell as often as he did it above board.  Let me know when Devon starts feeding rats to people.

Mac has been mentioned more than once on this board (I actually like AB's Mac, although I know many felt she was stiff and expressionless) but the casting for Mac has gotten progressively worse each time and her backstory more and more convoluted but if you can pitch a case where/how it makes sense to bring her to GC, I'd be open to hearing it. 

When I propose something, I always pitch a story where it's possible to logically bring the character back or improve a characterization--maybe there's a good story for Mac's return somewhere.

It's getting late, I'm not going to keep doing this pointless back and forth. 

You still haven't made a case for Y&R being 'too diverse'.  

You've got your opinion, I have mine but since you mentioned moives, look at the movies (Hidden Figures, Get Out) that surpassed expectations and the movies that bombed at the box office recently (Ghost In the Shell, Collide), or the movies that were mediocre (The Circle) look at their casts, look who was behind the cameras, in front, and you try to tell me that diversity does not matter. 

Movies With Diverse Casts Make More Money

Y&R, I guess, is not into ratings, clearly.  Y&R stays gradually losing viewers over time. Thumbs up to them.

• Members

You didn't know that money that Devon was left with is the biggest problem on the show. Writers don't know how to write for a black person rich. They can writer for a uppity black or black struggling to be uppity. But never a rich black person.

But the whole problem with this show they got a one rich black person.

• Members

Exactly, that's what I was saying. They took away his handicap and no one  complained about it.

I never said that.  There was a very long list, of many types of characters, and I said there was no way ONE show could have all of those. And I also said the ethnicity of the current characters weren't unrealistic for a place set in Wisconsin.

It is pointless, because I had the exact same view when I joined this board in 2009. The difference is it was just Tucker vs rest of Kay's family back then. The addition of Devon didn't change my views ....not even a little. However it did change the views of many posters. Some of the  same posters that agreed with me before, changed their mind after Devon was made Tucker's son. They can use the shade emoji all they want ,they're the ones that changed their views based on race, I did not. 

• Members

Maybe some people don't, but I certainly do. Carly on GH used to be one of my favorite characters. Then she got rich and a lot less interesting.  I think I would like Chelsea a lot more if she were scrapping and plotting for money than I do now as Adam's rich widow. To each their own.

As for disabled characters, soaps don't have a great recent track record with that. Whenever a character becomes paralyzed (Jack for example) we all know they are going to "get better" before long. So I would rather they have a disabled child or a new character all together. They did a good job with Hope, but that was a long time ago.

• Members

I have advocated at SON for YEARS about the constant disrespect of Jill, Jess Walton, Nina, Tricia Cast & the decimation of the extended Chancellor Family.

Y&R did NOT replace Katherine's family with Devon. The majority of the rest of Katherine's family were GONE and/or barely recurring by the time Devon & Katherine realized they were family. That is NOT Devon or Bryton's fault. That is SOLELY on the writers.

So don't even try mischaracterizing me as many of you & your fellow SON posters LOVE doing when substantive change is being discussed.

It remains hilarious how you're making everything an EITHER/OR issue when Devon is just as much a Chancellor as he is a Winters. The fact that Chancellor fortune has remained in the Chancellor Family AND that Devon's doing something worthwhile to honor himself, The Winters (who are just as much Chancellors as anyone else) & Katherine will never be enough for you and viewers like you because Y&R refuses to WRITE FOR CHARACTERS WHO ARE NOT ON THE CANVAS (MOST OF WHOM ARE ALREADY INDEPENDENTLY WEALTHY).

But keep going with the unnecessary paragraphs because you're going back on ignore.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Being dirt poor was the  reason I was so interested in Jill too. But I didn't want all her efforts to be in vain. It was satisfying to see her make progress. It was slow, and she would frequently back slide, but it kept me hooked. If she became wealthy & head of Chancellor manor in the first 5 years I would've lost interest.

I know it's the writers. MAB used Tucker to begin the process. Sally is substituting Devon.

The Winter's are just as much Chancellor's as anyone else? Since when? Devon being found to be Kay's grandson now make the Winter's family Chancellors???

Please register in order to view this content

Kay, Jill, Nina, Chance, Mac, Brock,Philip all lived in the same home for some period of time, and interacted as a family over decades. An extremely dysfunctional one, but a family. Their lives were intertwined. Y&R could easily cast some of those characters. GC could use another man Chance's age, the guys are so scarce the women are chewing their own limbs off to get one.

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

• Members

Several problems here with TPTB at Y&R over the last 10 to 12 years, and none of them are Devon's fault for inheriting millions.

The show sidelined Nina and then she left for many years.  They cast an actor to play her son that had no interest in staying on the show, killing the momentum of a story people waited decades to resolve.   I personally liked Chance, but the ridiculous Phillip is gay and hiding story crushed that attempt.

Two Mac's that did not resonate with fans.  Billy being paired with Victoria didn't help, because the Newman will win, even in a love triangle.  So Mac is out.

Jill was sidelined and eventually Jess quit rather than stay and be upset.

Did anyone really enjoy Tucker?

Something else I realized is in trying to keep Sharon, Nick and Phyllis in the sexy storylines kind of limited the stories being offered to the set of characters younger than them.  Which keeps them offscreen.

If you don't believe in a pro Newman bias, just think about the canvas on this show.  We can't keep a Mac, Chance, Kyle, etc on the show.  But Noah has been a constant presence (even when the actor isn't working out).  Adam could be recast any day.  Victoria has survived even though AH is weak!  No Abott or Chancellor has been as consistent for a second or third generation.

I don't hate that Jill didn't get Kay's money or company.  I hate the sight of them as anything more than enemies.  It diminished both to bring them together and have them be sentimental all the time.  The real, Bill Bell Katherine would never give everything to Jill.

Like a lot of POC on daytime, all Devon needs is a direction and a good writer.  He's attractive, a decent actor and all these shows could use a leading set of characters that are not white.

• Members

I would've given John Abbott's brother some children and have those kids have children. 

Jack should've had a daughter, and she should've had children of her own. Traci needed another child, Ashley too.

Brock should've had more kids. Tucker should've had two other kids, before they made Devon into his son

• Members

Yes!!! I complain about somethings that SS has written but this is not one of those things. A lot of us have been asking for this for years.  Some people don't think Devon should have Katherine's billions but Devon's money made this happen.

Bless.

• Members

Of course not , Jill would have taken it, just like she did half of the mansion. Bill Bell groomed Jill for decades to be a savvy businesswoman, why wouldn't Chancellor Industries have been next on the agenda? Maybe Bill Bell would let her succeed, and then lose it. That could've happened a number of times. Or maybe she would've ended up with half of it, just like the mansion.

And that's great, but it doesn't have to come in place of the only female head of household, and the only female CEO owned multi-multinational corporation. They could cut back on a little Jabot or Newman. CI is off-screen it would take very little screen time for it to exist. But it looks like TPTB are allowing only one type of minority headed corporation, and family, in GC at a time.

We saw Jill working for success many more years than Neil. Why isn't it awesome that she finally gets CI?

• Members

Some thoughts:

The writing for Scott reminds me of the writing for every legacy kid that returned during the MAB years, just a familiar name for a character nobody bothered working on. This could mean that he will turn psycho in the next few months and be written out. Why is he not a doctor like his father? Why is he not working for his mother? Why didn't he get involved with a young doctor who reminds Lauren a lot of Sheila. We could have a different kind of triangle with Scott's bride hating his mother for some reason and perhaps trying to ruin her life. Something like the Vanessa/Lance/Lori story.

Jill should be at Jabot fighting with the Abbotts. A fun story would be Jack and Jill having to get married to save the company or something and sharing the mansion with Dina and Ashley. CI has never been a set for Y&R stories and the show doesn't need another big company.

Instead of this forced "Angie is Devon's mother- wait Patch is his father-wait Kay is Patch's mother-now Devon is rich- I would have loved a story about this boy going to school, becoming successful on his own and building this Hamilton-Winters company for his father. Showing everybody that he is so much better than the Nicks, the Noahs, the Billys and the Kyles. 

Hilary and Cassiah should stop acting like stupid brats, go for drinks, get wasted and become friends after that. 

Am I crazy to think that Tessa could somehow become the Jill to Nikki's Katherine? (Not by seducing Victor)

Archived