Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ugh the whole Mariah/Hillary brawl was bad.  And then Hillary goes over to Devon's just to throw a fit - just so she'll get attention and he'll keep noticing her. 

The only thing I did laugh at was during the brawl - Mariah said something like, "Why haven't you slept with his Father again yet?  OH, I forgot, probably because you're not Married!" 

• Members

Not sure why everyone is having a hissy about the fight.  Cat fights were a soap staple.  Dorian/Vicky, Karen/Dorian, Erika and everyone is what we watched for.  The problem is MARIAH!  Once the fight was over, Mariah sits on the floor alone and tosses her hair like a diva should, but she looked like a kid trying to be a smart ass.  Get CG out of this story NOW!!!  I'm almost out of second hand embarrassment!  

• Members

It was an embarassment because it sucked. For both actresses who are better than this. Stop blaming CG for everything ...

No shade but she's not the sole blame. We could always get someone worse ;)

I think there's been a lot of interference. Not saying she's great but she's made the show watchable for me. I have a lot of complaints but I'm not crying for her firing on a regular basis ...

• Members

But what single show can represent all of this, all at once?

Actually Y& R is realistic on race, and religion, given it's set in WISCONSIN.  That state is almost 90% white, if you took out Milwaukee it'd be closer to 97%, and religiously it's Christian. The little diversity they do have is heavily concentrated in Milwaukee (or the university of Wisconsin Madison campus). And Milwaukee is not a melting pot, it's nothing like blue state cities, it's minority populations are segregated.

Y&R has plenty of elderly characters these days. Sharon's mom is disabled, although we haven't seen her for years. I don't know why they don't have gay characters on screen. They let MAB bring back a Phillip Chancellor as gay, so it must have been OK at one time. Gay characters are common on TV these days, so I don't understand that one. But at the same time women aren't given the same rights on Y&R that they get in reality either. The show has went backwards with women. They could be fearless and be in charge before the MAB years.

There are a few more wealthy characters than in the early days, but who wants their favorite to lose all their money to make it more realistic?  Sally was voicing that very concern over Devon, who was made so wealthy at such a young age, & some viewers became upset. Some of the characters who used to be poor, or middle class, have become wealthy as the years went on. Jill used to be poor, but acquired wealth over her 43 years on the show, that's realistic. Michael Baldwin became wealthy because he was a lawyer for decades is also realistic. The Abbott and Newman children have grown up and have some of their parents money now, that's realistic too. Maybe they should cut back on all these billionaire visitors, and new characters, such as Tucker and Dina.

• Members

And what percentage of the WI population constitutes the 1%?  How does GC represent the economic reality of most of the population of WI?

How many times have I heard people complain that women are wearing miniskirts and stiletto boots in January?  If folks can be forced to believe that how Sharon and Phyllis dress in the dead of winter is representative of how most women in WI dress, why can't we imagine that a city that presents itself as having 3 or 4 billionaire families owning 3 Fortune 500 companies can't be diverse ethnically or socio-economically? 

Oh, I get it, suspend imagination until someone mentions aspects that are uncomfortable for some. Hm.

Please register in order to view this content

Sharon's off-screen mother doesn't count, she hasn't even been mentioned in years.

Archived