Y&R: May 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

We know they need more POC. They know they need more POC. However, self interest trumps all that. An influx of color behind the camera means less space for those already there. 

It's not CG looks. She's pretty.  It's how she plays it. She goes for awkward, cute, sweet every time. That's fine for teens. But that's never gonna be the route to lead a soap opera. Especially not rivaling MiM, who is arguably the sexiest woman on the show. 

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not even just Black and/or non-Black characters of color. It's any characters who aren't extremely rich, straight, cisgendered, white, able-bodied WASPs.

As many of you all have asked before when was the last time Y&R had viable middle class or poor characters? How about disabled characters? Or gay characters? Or trans characters? Or Asians? Or Latinos? Or single parents? Or elderly characters? Or Buddhist characters? Or Muslim characters? Or asexual characters? And so on...

There's no variety on Y&R in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, socioeconomic status, etc and the multiple intersections therein.

• Members

Exactly, when I meant Diversity, I wasn't just talking race/ethnicity, I also meant socio-economic and gender as well.  This show is bleeding with multiple deficits.

Everything is wrong about it. Like I said before, while Devon is allowed to be professional in his new business venture but Hilary and Mariah are being unprofessional in every way, letting the personal bleed into the professional- then again GC Buzz/Hilary Show is now supposed to be some type of confessional program, so it's inevitable unfortunately.

Just a bad look all around but sums up exactly where this show is and what it's about now. At least for its female characters.

• Members

Chelsea has been saved by the lack of interest in her character. But her time is coming as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the show now has Hilary "brawling" with Chelsea over Jordan. For some reason, Hilary must fight everyone who comes into her orbit...except Jack. 

• Members

Somehow I see Scott being written to not only challenge Abby's authority on the job but I can see them writing him as taking away her 'shine' in the position. The entire thing makes no sense to me the way this story is being shoehorned. Then again, I feel the same about most of the storylines on this show these days.

• Members

+1.  Different social classes is one thing many soaps used to excel at, but now nearly all characters are upper middle class (Y&R, DAYS, GH, plus all the recently cancelled soaps of the past 10 years), often times the owners of huge international conglomerates. 

I was legit surprised when Abigail on DAYS mentioned getting a job at the police station a couple weeks back, and mentioned wanting to make sure she had health benefits, 401K, day care, etc. You never hear that kinda talk on soaps nowadays. But I gather it's to showcase her "struggle" in the real world, which will lead to an eventual reconciliation with Chad. 

• Members

^ Y&R's characters aren't upper middle class. They are the 1%, which as some of us have pointed out is pretty laughable.

B&B did such a poor job with Maya, I really am afraid to find out how Y&R would do with a trans character.  I have zero faith they could do a story like that justice.

• Members

As ASJP said, who & what is onscreen reflects who is behind the scenes.

Even in an era of declining soaps & dwindling ratings, soaps are still content to cater to an imaginary "core" audience instead of building new viewership. 

Archived