dragonflies

"The Conners" Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Faulkner said:

They are burying that up against the Olympics.

I guess they could've done the special before the Olympics started in early February.

http://tvline.com/2018/02/20/the-walking-dead-season-9-the-whispers-spoilers/

Question: I’m very excited to watch the revial of Roseanne. One thing I was curious about was the fact that there is no mention of Roseanne’s youngest son Jerry or Jackie’s son Andy. Are they not a part of this revival? —Kristen

Ausiello: They are not part of the nine-episode continuation, but we’ll learn in passing that Jerry “is on a fishing boat in Alaska,” Roseanne Bar recently revealed. Andy, meanwhile, “hasn’t been dealt with,” Barr noted, adding the decision was made to focus on the core characters this time around. “We had so many stories to tell over the arc of these nine episodes,” she explained. “[If we get] another season [we hope to bring] more clarity to those characters.”

19 hours ago, dragonflies said:

http://tvline.com/2018/02/20/the-walking-dead-season-9-the-whispers-spoilers/

Question: I’m very excited to watch the revial of Roseanne. One thing I was curious about was the fact that there is no mention of Roseanne’s youngest son Jerry or Jackie’s son Andy. Are they not a part of this revival? —Kristen

Ausiello: They are not part of the nine-episode continuation, but we’ll learn in passing that Jerry “is on a fishing boat in Alaska,” Roseanne Bar recently revealed. Andy, meanwhile, “hasn’t been dealt with,” Barr noted, adding the decision was made to focus on the core characters this time around. “We had so many stories to tell over the arc of these nine episodes,” she explained. “[If we get] another season [we hope to bring] more clarity to those characters.”

Interesting. Thanks for posting 

That is interesting. How do you not even talk about Jackie having a kid? I don't get it. He doesn't need to be a regular or even seen at all (like Jerry). He couldn't be mentioned in passing (or maybe he is and that's not coming across)? It's strange. I get focusing on the core characters but the Andy thing is weird. Did she not realize fans wouldn't notice? Did THEY forget? :lol:

I just want confirmation he still exists. It kind of sounds like he does. (And I imagine him gay and in the army, but that's me)

And kind of random, but it sounds like Sandra Bernhard's appearance is in the 9th episode.

Edited by KMan101

An interesting/frustrating piece on the show's return, with Roseanne of course running her mouth but that's Roseanne:

If this is how it's handled I can probably live with it provided the show is actually good:

Did you consider having Roseanne vote for anyone besides Trump?

ROSEANNE BARR No, I wanted to do it this way. It's the conversation everybody is having. Families are not speaking to each other. People are still shocked and upset about it. It's the state of our country.

What happened in the room when it came time to write those scenes?

BRUCE HELFORD Contrary to what you might think, the room was not totally liberal …

BARR It wasn't?

HELFORD There were people who had points of view that you'd consider conservative, and we had those discussions, and they ended up being what goes on between Darlene and Roseanne and Jackie.

WHITNEY CUMMINGS We so often surround ourselves with people we agree with, so going into the writers room was often like, "Eeeeek." We were challenging each other, and I definitely wanted to go back into my Huffington Post or Vulture cocoon where everyone agrees, but it's really important to be with people you disagree with when you're writing to make sure you're not being elitist assholes.

BARR I thought everybody was pretty liberal, so I was keepin' an eye on it, making sure that it was evenhanded. But the day we went to shoot [the pilot], I got with the writers, and I'm like, "You guys have to have a Hillary slam." 'Cause they were all Trump slams.

SARA GILBERT Although we never say anybody's name.

BARR But we do say, "How could you vote for him?"

HELFORD And we say "pantsuit" …

BARR That's the line you gave me, and it was a great Hillary slam. I wanted to represent the country and how divided we are.

GILBERT People think this show is more political than it is. It's more about how a family deals with a disagreement like that. But I get it, it creates website clicks.

I do really like what they have to say about the issues they apparently are exploring during the season.