"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

Lecy really nails it. She's so good, IMO. I'm so happy she's getting a chance to shine. I always liked her and thought she was underrated. It bugged me how they wrote Becky when Sarah Chalke played the role. They attempted something with her at first but sort of bailed (probably because Sarah Chalke was very green, but the potential talent was absolutely there) and she became a walking joke that Darlene overpowered. I missed the old relationship they had. It was just so different and Sarah was ultimately a placeholder. 

It does feel a tad weird to not have Roseanne there, and never a mention (I have some past episodes to catch up on and just watched the most current episode). I mean, I understand ... but still.

And I've noticed, like this last episode, where they could have basically slotted either Darlene or Roseanne into the family bulldog role, such as in the vending machine company owner's office. That could have easily been Roseanne telling him off. I mean, it works with Darlene, so the loss isn't as much, IMO, but I still sometimes feel it and thought about her in that scene, for some reason.

I really loved the subplot of Lanford's Premiere Life Coach Jackie Harris helping her niece Becky realize she was basically ... Jackie. I did love the "biker bar, cop bar ..." shout out. It always felt natural that Becky and Darlene would basically become Jackie and Roseanne, respectively. 

And can I just say I adore Dan and Mark's relationship

Please register in order to view this content

It really does  

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The original after season 5 was all about being poor and struggling with their bills... The first four seasons there were jokes here there.. but they had a comfortable blue collar existence so it wasn't a big focus for the family.

I do think putting Darlene into the Roseanne role in the last episode was ill advised because Darlene isn't really like Roseanne at all (despite the show making her dark and harsh in the later part of the original show).  Darlene is more laid back, and dead pan in her delivery than Roseanne ever was.  I've actually thought Becky was more like Roseanne in terms of attitude and acting more from emotion than common sense.  The biggest example was Becky marrying Mark out of fear of him moving away thus throwing her future away vs Darlene marrying David because of the financial benefits of the two being married thus being able to focus on school, work, and having a plan for their unexpected bundle of joy.

• Members

Nah, quite the opposite. Once season 5 hit, you had Roseanne & Jackie steady at the diner. Eventually by end of 5th, you had Dan working at the city garage. 

I'm talking about plots that squarely focus on money struggles. So much of these new episodes focus on it. Look at the rundown of season 6 by comparison... 

Darlene moving to college... Jackie sleeping with Fred... Jackie knocked up by Fred while Roseanne suddenly wanted a baby of her own... schmoozing to Florence Henderson (mother of "Elijah Minelli") for restaurant products at cost... finding old marijuana and smoking it ("is this the sink? am I shrinking?") ... Phyllis Zimmer having lunch with Dan and Roseanne getting pissed... NuBecky and Mark returning while Dan has a highschool football reunion... DJ crashing their car and Roseanne spanking him... DJ and Darlene outsmarting Roseanne when DJ is skipping school... the gay bar episode with Murielle Hemmingway locking lips with Roseanne... okay enough of recapping season 6. You get the point. 

Them struggling was a reason why they were in the situations they were in (not being able to afford Becky's dress for the dance; Roseanne sweeping hair at the salon, etc.), but not the plot itself. 

• Members

That's the most absurd remark I've heard since Serena Southerlyn asked, "Is it because I'm a lesbian?".

No, Roseanne.  You were fired, because you compared a dark-skinned woman to an ape.

Edited by Khan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...