"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I’m guessing if everyone behind the scenes is still on board for it (and I’m also guessing that’d be a yes), I could easily see this continuing another season. Hell, the new Will & Grace barely bring in 4 million (sign of the times). 

The question is: would their next set of episodes air this Spring or would we have to wait till next Fall? 

• Members

Based on the last week's events and the numbers (and reviews) I assume it will be renewed if all parties want to continue, and I'm expecting they do.

I'll bet ABC will want it back ASAP again as well - spring.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I forgot to say how much I enjoyed a few of Becky's lines in this episode, like when she said she was getting a mobile home with a tree she could cling to when the tornado hit, and when she said she too was looking forward to meeting the sober Becky. 

Lecy Goranson has such a unique delivery - it can be very rough at times but when it works it really works. It's one of the things that makes the show feel different. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I found this tumblr that has a lot of old Roseanne content (sadly the only real posts on tumblr about the show now are far right memes...ugh). They have some old Halloween photos. I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoyed the early Halloween episodes. 

http://rabbittroop4ever.tumblr.com/post/11487062802/they-always-had-such-amazing-costumes-on-roseanne

http://rabbittroop4ever.tumblr.com/post/11561328879/roseannes-halloween-awesomeness-part-2

• Members

I thought that tonight's episode wasn't as good as last week's but it was okay. I liked seeing the Conner's Muslim neighbors again, and I liked that Dan/Darlene basically ended up on the same side in regards to the situation with Mark's costumes. I think that the most interesting part was meeting Jackie's new love interest Peter, played by Matthew Broderick. He does fit her (the grey hair helps) and I liked that he was an intellectual, (though unemployed). I think it's interesting that they are saying he's in his 40s, I would have had him play his natural age group, (50's). I also thought it was interesting that Dan didn't like him, and I could see them clashing in the future. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by xtr

• Members

I felt like they were torn in various directions in this episode, between the more brash and silly humor with the party and most of the family, and the plot with Darlene. All I could think was that a lot of the people who would have loved the "PC gone wild" plot with Darlene and Mark probably stopped watching the show, so it was going to get a more mixed or negative reaction from the remaining viewers. 

The story didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would - they did try to have Darlene represent both sides, and they made a good portion of the reactions feel based in the history of the Conners and showing Darlene as continuing her parents' behavior whether she likes it or not. Sara Gilbert and the guy who played the principal were pretty good, and they didn't overdo the cutesiness or social issue element with Mark in the way I thought they might. 

What was it Darlene said she was dressed up as?

I just couldn't watch the scene where Darlene insulted the guy who owned the insult diner. You could tell where that was going from early on and that type of humor just makes me cringe like nothing else. I'm not saying the scenes were bad - it's just my own personal taste.

The other Conner scenes were more of a mixed bag. I would have preferred seeing more of DJ, Gina and Mary, as the scenes about Harris trying to get Dan to let her drive the car and especially the scene with Matthew Broderick felt very padded. I haven't actually seen Matthew Broderick act in a long time so I can't remember if he was just always...like that, or not. I actually liked the Harris story and I think it was just having the same scene for the third or fourth time that made it where you started to kind of just see the actress reciting her lines. Anyway, I did like the last scene with Mary in the car. And the scene with Jackie describing Harris' awful driving cracked me up. Jackie getting the reaction she wanted from Dan about her boyfriend and reacting with righteous fury was also funny - and a lot like her old self. 

The stuff with Becky taking the candy was coarse but it reminded me of the old show, especially the bit where Gina kept silent in exchange for half the candy bar. That made me laugh. There's a peril in just throwing one-liners at Becky, as they did here, although there were also parts I laughed at (like her finding out she wasn't on Dan's insurance).

Sara Gilbert is the one who seems to get the most coherent focus, but John Goodman was the real MVP of the episode for me, even with so much good work from the rest of the cast. I thought he might just phone it in for this possible last season but he's had a lot more vitality in these last two episodes and he reminds me a lot of what Dan was in the first seasons of the show (just older and not as energetic, obviously). I grew tired of Dan as the seasons passed, but he was a big reason why I loved the show as a kid, so it's nice to have a little of that back. He also works so well with pretty much everyone and that helps connect what otherwise feels like disparate strands. 

Edited by DRW50