"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

Moving this down so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

They're going there with Mark (Jr.) and it still gets me - yep, he's gay. I'm not sure I understand the Enrique and Joey situation though - what, are these seemingly str8 little boys vying for his affection? Does this happen in the fourth grade now? I'm old. Maybe it's addressed later in the ep.

Mary Steenburgen could be up for a guest Emmy for that one scene - Jesus. (And for people asking, no she does not always look/sound like that lol - she is made up to look haggard and is clearly playing drunk/drugged. IRL she is still stunningly beautiful.)

Edited by Vee

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Darlene and Jackie just killed me. "I don't wanna leave this house because I don't wanna leave her."

I'm so dim re: Mark above - I like how it resolved with Dan helping him, and how the emerging gay consciousness sublimated for a young child into the two boys being his 'seatmates.'

• Members

I kinda wish it had been Darlene, though.  Now that she and David are splitsville, it'd be good to see Darlene gradually realize she's a lesbian (since I've never bought her with any male anyway).

I hate to say it, because there was a lot that I loved about the episode, but I think this'll be the end of the line for the Conner family.  The ensemble is solid, but it's really missing something without Rosey.

But, if I'm proven wrong and it does live to see another season, then I'm going to need another death in that family, because I can't take anymore of "Wacky Jackie."  I just can't.

• Members

Seeing Dan in that bed for the first time w/o Roseanne was, for me, the most gut-wrenching moment of all.  I hadn't been that affected since the first time I watched Archie Bunker cry over Edith's slipper.

He did.

Let's be honest, as many people as they have in that cast right now, Jerry and Andy would just be two more characters struggling for airtime.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I thought there was a darkness/emptiness that was hovering over the family with the loss of Roseanne.  I thought that the cast as a whole did a good job but that you could feel Roseanne's presence being missed.

The people's reaction that resonated the most with me was Becky and then Dan. There were some moments in the beginning of the episode where Becky had a terrified expression on her face when the family was talking about Roseanne's death and when the Coroner called and Becky realized the cause of death was worse than she had thought. I thought that was very realistic. She definitely seemed like someone who had already been through a tragic time (With the death of Mark) and was terrified to be experiencing that all over again. I thought that Lecy did a very realistic job portraying someone who had lost multiple loved one in tragic ways.

I also felt for Dan, as he was trying to deal with the unexpected loss of his wife. I definitely understood his anger toward Marcy.

The little children didn't seem as disturbed by Roseanne's death. Maybe because they were under the impression that it was a heart attack, and more natural way for her to die. I think that was also why most of the family as a whole seemed to be coping with it better in the very beginning before they found out about the overdose. I'm not sure if/when they will learn the truth about the overdose. Harris seemed upset, and I think that a big part of that also had to do with how much her and Roseanne argued before Roseanne died (which she mentioned to Darlene).

Edited by xtr

• Members

Regarding Andy and Jerry I could see them doing something like saying Jerry showed up for the funeral, but was so distraught about Roseanne's death and went back out to the boat to be by himself. I had read somewhere last year that maybe they were thinking of casting Roseanne's real life son as Jerry, but that isn't going to happen now. So maybe we'll get that type of explanation as to why he's not around the family.

I'm not sure if/when we will hear about Andy.

Also, I could see the family clashing some with DJ's wife in the future. She seemed like she might be a bit stricter than the rest of them and I could see that leading to some tension in the future.