"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So, Tuesdays at 9:30* starting, oh, March 6**?

*I have a hunch The Mayor won't be around for much longer.

**After the Olympics, with opportunities to plug the show during the Oscars. Nine straight weeks, incidentally, would have the season ending on May 1.

• Members

Laurie Metcalf is getting a lot of early Oscar buzz (Supporting Actress category) for her role in Greta Gerwig's Lady Bird. She won a Tony Award earlier this year, and of course has 3 Emmy's for playing Jackie. 

She's built up great credibility as an actress (primarily for her stage work) since the original run of Roseanne. I hope this means they'll write Jackie better and less crazy than the last few seasons of the original show. Laurie is amazing and Jackie deserves more complexity as a character. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Agreed. The Barney Fife version of Jackie, seasons 7 through 9 were awful. I much preferred her being the "cool" Aunt or the job-hopper who dipped in 'n out of relationships. Even as she got a little bit goofy in the 5th season,  ("I have... hauled meat. I have... eaten meat.") she was still grounded in reality. 

• Members

This made me SO happy, lol. Hearing the theme music (it's the "original" without lyrics and Blues Traveler'd up, but it seems a tiny bit different to me) and man, the chicken shirt! I actually wondered about that (yes, I really did wonder about a damn chicken shirt).

I wonder how big a part Lecy and Michael will play. I see a lot of Roseanne and Sara.

I just want them to be likeable again. I don't want the nasty meanness that seeped into the show. I also really hope Jackie isn't Barney Fife/Gilligan again.

I wish it were more episodes too but I'll take what I can.

They seem to be hitting all the nostalgic revival beats, the classic set (the fireplace is different though, but similar enough), the theme song, little touches, the original cast ... But oddly I feel the most nervous about this reboot and I think Roseanne's crazy behavior on Twitter is what makes me nervous. And Roseanne writes depending on her mood and life at the moment. It seems like she's in a good and happy place.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

That video of Roseanne watching the new opening credits got me emotional. Say what you will about her ups and downs, the woman is one of the most dynamic entertainers of our time. Even at her craziest, you just feel like you know her, so it's easy to buy in when you hear that familiar sax/harmonica theme. And they all just so damn happy. I truly can't wait for this!