"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

You read my mind. I never cared for Seinfeld--at all, and still don't. 

Roseanne's first five seasons were great television, so count me in as another viewer hoping they go back to basics .

David/Darlene always came off more siblings than a romantic couple to me.

Looking forward to seeing what they do.

• Members

TBH, I'm not a fan of "Seinfeld" either.  I only mentioned the show before, because it (and "Frasier" and "Friends") seems to be most everyone's gold standard for '90's sitcoms.

Just watched "Crime and Punishment" and "War and Peace" yesterday on Logo.  If you believe the Harris' retconned history, with Daddy Harris as this philandering asshat who terrorized the hell out of Roseanne and Jackie, then it makes sense for Jackie to be in an abusive relationship.  Frankly, I see the two-parter as one more opportunity for Roseanne (the actor/comedian AND the character) to dump on men, cloaked in the guise of social relevance.  IMO, there were OTHER ways to write out Fisher w/out turning him into a heel in almost record time.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Didn't Laurie Metcalf win an Emmy for the abuse episodes? I thought they were well done on all counts, and not just an "all men are asses" stance. We still had the good guys represented in Dan. Love how when Dan learned that Jackie was beat by Fisher, we see him simply grab his coat and leave the house and we knew where he was going... 

Different topic: I always thought it funny the timing of Jackie's pregnancy vs. Roseanne's due to real life. Jackie was already showing in the episode where she gets knocked up, and is the size of a house by the next episode. Meanwhile, Roseanne announces her pregnancy at the start of season 7 (September), but doesn't give birth until season 8 on Halloween. 

• Members

IA.  I think that's why they had Roseanne work at that beauty salon (a job which Crystal had obtained for her friend, IIRC, and which Roseanne hated all the way through) for awhile in order to keep Crystal relevant on the show.  But the truth is, once they had walked out of Wellman and Crystal had moved onto selling cosmetics or whatever, there was no reason to keep her around.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Is it wrong that I want them to bring back George Clooney as Booker? 

Please register in order to view this content

That's actually one of my favorite TV moments. I like how Roseanne just gives Dan a look and he simply walks out. No words and the audience was allowed to figure it out on our own.

• Members

Nah, it was still before his E.R. days.  It wasn't until he was on "SISTERS" as Falconer that he landed the role and thus Falconer was killed off

Please register in order to view this content

That'd be pretty damn awesome if he came back for a cameo and Booker and Jackie reunited. 

• Members

To me, this is what Roseanne, the show, did best. 

Two of my other favorite (similar) moments:

1. Jackie's phone call to the aunt about her father's death. "Dad's Dead!" This one is shown a lot, but it is a classic example of why Metcalf has all the Emmys and was so beloved.

2. The end of the episode where DJ wouldn't kiss the black girl. Roseanne and Jackie are at The Lunch Box, and a Big Black Man comes to the door. Roseanne acts as if they are closing, but eventually lets him in. The man turns out to be the little girl's father, and wants to discuss DJ and his little girl. After he leaves, Roseanne actually locks the door, pulls down the shade and says to Jackie, "We're not racist; are we?" Roll credits. So simple; so powerful, and yet left the audience to "figure it out."

• 2 weeks later...