"The Conners" Discussion Thread

• Members

I never put the same stock into the finale as everyone else seemed to ... like Dan would ever stay dead in any kind of revival. LOL. Come on. And there's no way they'd undo Becky/Mark (though making Mark dumber than a box of rocks made me have a hard time seeing Lecy's Becky with him anymore) or Darlene/David. Darlene would have never been with Mark. Sarah's Becky and David maybe but not Lecy's Becky.

The writing for Sarah's Becky vs. Lecy's Becky was so obvious too. They made Sarah's Becky a flighty almost dumb blond who was often bested by Darlene compared to Lecy's Becky who suddenly wanted to do more than work at a Hooters knock off and go back to college and could hold her own with Darlene ...

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Lecy's Becky was kind of a brat...so Darlene bursting her bubble was always entertaining season 1 through 3 before Darlene went gothic.

With Sarah's Becky...yoi felt kind of sorry for her because she seemed cheerful and Darlene looked bitter and mean spirited bursting her bubble.

• Members

Exactly. But by Season 6 I think so many of them were honestly unlikable. As much as I love the show. Roseanne's bitterness came through loud. Seasons 1-5 were the best. Season 8 wasn't too bad.

I wasn't a big fan of Darlene going gothic. It lasted a little too long. And then she just became nasty. I enjoyed the episode when the family turned on her for her smart mouth remarks (when she turned down the well paying job). Darlene's probably my favorite but it got a little tired.

• Members

For one thing, the show had become so anti-male that it was sickening.  Roseanne, IMO, has a very warped opinion of how men think and behave.

And then there's what happened the day someone decided Laurie Metcalf needed to camp it up more as Jackie.

That might've been interesting.  Although, IMO, Sara Gilbert had way more chemistry with women, especially with Danielle Harris (Molly) and even with Sarah Chalke, than she had with Galecki.

Edited by Khan

• Members

The whole story where they were so adamant about Jackie and Fisher breaking up and Fisher not being involved in his child's life was one of the main reasons I quit watching. The character became completely vile. Most of them did. 

The sad truth is that I think I really enjoyed the version of the show that Roseanne likely looks back on with contempt - the years with Crystal, when she was working at the factory, the food court, etc. 

• Members

It wasn't Fisher but Fred @DRW50 Fisher was the young abusive one. I didn't like Jackie with Fred because of her attitude. And Laurie decided Jackie needed to become Barney Fife.

Agreed @Khan Roseanne clearly hated men after her breakup with Arnold (not to mention she looked like she was on something during a few seasons). All Dan did was yell and be miserable, Mark became dumber than a box of rocks, David became even more pathetic ...

• Members

Gary was my favorite for Jackie as well.

I prefer the Crystal years, the factory, Rodbells, the bike shop ... Seasons 1-5 were the best. Season 6 and 7 were the man hating, miserable bitch I'm probably snorting coke or doing pills Roseanne years (seriously, she looks stoned a lot of episodes). Season 8 wasn't too bad, but it was supposed to be the last season initially so I think it mellowed out and felt a bit more like the earlier years. Season 9 was trash even if some of the episodes have grown on me.