Could a WGA Strike be a "Death Knell" for Soaps?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It appears that the negotiations are now focused primarily on exclusivity contracts, especially as how it relates to writers' ability to write limited series scripts, which, from the beginning, I had the feeling would be a good entry into a sensible negotiation process.

JMO, but if both sides can negotiate more flexibility for writers to finish writing scripts for one series then go on to a next, without having to wait until after the previous series is in production (or post-production), writers may show more willingness to give a bit more on the healthcare side.

As for soap writers and strikes, it sounds like many on this board feel strikes are unecessary, damaging and foolish for soap writers?

That's a possibility but then the only solution would be to make all soap writers' work ineligible for the WGA- I'm not sure whether most of the remaining daytime writers would agree with that.

It's like Brexit, you can't honestly expect to remove yourself from the union yet expect to still reap the benefits and rewards...did I say rewards?  I meant awards.

• Members

I've seen a news report on Sky News about this strike. So no turning back, it seems. 

Given the 4-6 week gap between shooting and broadcast, how long of a gap is there between writing and filming, and thus, how long would it take to start seeing 'strike' episodes? 

I know this doesn't really occur to Days Of Our Lives. Who I also think will feel it most when the episodes do air, because Ron Carlivati's style, construction and sensibilities seem to be so different to almost anyone else involved in the show who could step in.

• Members

What are the ramifications of an actor/actress writing a show a week be?  They're members of their own Union, but there are actors/actresses that write (Martha Byrne, Victor St. Lawrence I believe also - there are alot)...would they be able to turn in a basic Bible for a month of shows and write 1 script a week....just to keep the show(s) going until the strike is over?  Honestly, they'd basically be keeping the show going so that their coworkers and friends have a job when they come back...

• Members

The WGA and the AMPTP were able to reach a tentative agreement by the deadline which was 3am EST/midnight PST.

So, at this time strike has been averted!

I know some around here were hoping for a strike to get a change of soap writers but for the rest of TV, it will likely come as something of a relief.

Archived