Could a WGA Strike be a "Death Knell" for Soaps?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's supposed to be very wrong to go fi core. But notice all the politically active writers on soaps that worked with fi core writers.  Melissa Salmons worked for Gary Tomlin and Dena Higley.  She's very active.  Several other writers joined fi core head writers after the strike so they must have decided it's okay: Maria Bell hired Amanda Beall, Milstein, Shoettle, Dansby just to name a few.  Carlivati, however, got rid of all fi core after the strike (Lisanti, Jean Ford, Fran Myers, Tomlin) and never had fi core writers on staff at GH (he got rid of Wolf and Conforti).  And of course, there are writers who scabbed probably who mysteriously were added to the writer's roster after strike ended.  I know there was big controversy on AMC when Stephen Demorest was fired and replaced by what I heard was scab British writer, Daren Little. I think Amanda Beall was fired too.  Never got the whole story.  

• Members

was Daren Little being groomed as HW of AMC at one point?

I rememeber hearing of a story where Bianca and Krystal have sex

It is an option that is given,  Fi core but i believe if you chose Fi-core its ether very difficult to go back or impossible.

• Members

Try impossible.

One of my professors in grad school was a higher up in the WGAE (the East coast division) and told us that if we ever crossed the picket line, even as non-members, we'd never be able to become members in the future.

Even though I'm a theater person (Dramatic artists are in a different union anyway), I have registered my work using the WGA and as a student, I once had an Associate membership.  

I've also written one or two screenplays so I'd like to think that in case any screenplay that I write/co-write has the opportunity to be produced, that would qualify me to become a member of the WGA, so me, personally, I'd never cross the line.

Like someone said before  though, soap writers aren't really going into any other genres, so this is it for many of them. None of the current soap writers seem to have any aspirations of writing Primetime or for films, so the repercussions for them crossing the line are probably nonexistent at this point.

It would be quite different for any writer who has aspirations to write for film or primetime TV. They'd be much more concerned for the future of their career(s).

• Members

According to the latest Daytime Confidential podcast, All soaps will continue if a strike happens. They will use fi-core writers

This includes DOOL who according to Jamey still needs to keep on track writing to maintain their current production to stay on budget

Thom Racina who was hW at DOOL is Fi-core so maybbe he could get the gig

Jamey thinks Gary Tomlin will write GH and Kay Alden Y&R

Not sure of B&B

Jamry also said that Kay went fi-corre in 2008 so that Brad Bell could strike

• Members

Personally...if they truly strike...they're idiots.  Episode counts for most shows outside of soaps are lower..plus reality shows took over during hiatus.

If anything..soaps benefit because they still churn out content..and keeps them a float.  

The best solution is to not pay actors so much and give that money to the writers and people behind the scenes.

Archived