Could a WGA Strike be a "Death Knell" for Soaps?

• Members

"Days" is in the best shape out of all the scripted shows. They're finishing up September now, and an insider said that they rushed things to complete scripts until around the end of December, so they'll still be able to tape for a full 8 production weeks if the strike lasts that long, plus a pre-planned long summer break. "Days" wouldn't even need to hire scab writers until probably sometime in the fall, so unless the strike lasts more than 4 months, "Days" won't really be affected at all.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, they are taping September. They'd usually be finishing up writing October around now (they usually have around 20+ scripts completed ahead of taping). However, an insider posted on another board that they rushed additional scripts and should be completed writing through around the end of December by the time the strike is set to begin on May 2. So, that will give them 60+ scripts fully written that they can tape during the writers' strike. They average taping around 15 episodes every two weeks, so that gives them about 8 full weeks of production they can tape throughout the writers' strike before needing to worry about getting scabs to write.

• Members

DAYS - great shape

B&B - very good shape -all they need is someone who can rehash what's already been said in same episode. I'm sure Brad is stocking up on scripts since it's short and redundant 

Y&R - even - anything will be an improvement over the disappointing Sally An easy soap to cover during strike because of so many vets who have ability to flesh out weak dialogue through improv and familiarity. 

GH - probably hurt most 

• Members

Whitesell didn't go ficore

Kay would definitely head write YR and it will be better

Days was better during the 2008 strike.  Dena and Mark Higley were the writers and after Hogan Sheffer's disaster 14 months it was light years better.

YR was better under Griffith after Latham's reign of terror

GH was dark and depressing under Wolfe but no surprise there.

B&B is Brad's baby and he's EP ...oh sure he isn't writing it or supervising the writers. LOL

Ficore Writers:

Listed for the WGA West: Maria Arena, Marlene Poulter Clark, John F. Cosgrove, Paula Cwikly, Barb Esensten (deceased), Jeanne M. Grunwell (Days now), Dena Higley, Mark Christopher Higley, Meg Kelly, Michelle Poteet Lisanti, Terry A. Meuer, Shawn Morrison, James E. Reilly, Ridley, Sheffer, John F. Smith (BB), Darrell R. Thomas Jr., Gary Tomlin (GH), Janine Vogelaar and Garin Wolf. 

Listed for the WGA East: Priscilla Kay Alden (YR), James Harmon Brown, Michael Conforti (YR), Victor Gialanella, Josh Griffith, Frances Myers (Days) and Pete T. Rich.

• Members

The only way Days survives is to film 39 weeks a year; they are going to continue to pump out scripts to keep the shooting schedule.  The last two strikes lasted 100 and 155 days, respectively.  Dena and Mark will be huddling with Corday and Fran Myers/Jean Ford at his estate undoing Carlivati's stories before you know it!

• Members

Nah. Higley's done at DAYS. I more credit her husband with a better 2008. His scripts weren't bad either when he wrote them. She writes trash and shouldn't be allowed to hold a pen again.

Kay will HW Y&R. Wouldn't even be shocked if Sally went FiCore.

B&B will also be fine.

So will GH

I don't predict any doom for any of the soaps. They'll get cancelled when they get cancelled. I don't think the strike had anything to do with GL, ATWT, AMC or OLTL getting cancelled. The networks and P&G were long looking to cut the fat and get out of the soap business.

• Members

Jean and Shelly are staunch WGA members; they are not going ficore.  Gary Tomlin will be the head writer. Don't be surprise if he brings back Michelle Lisanti to write.  In 2008, after the strike, the heads of WGA sent out a scathing letter that hung out to dry the fi core writers.  It was very controversial.  I think any writer thinking about it will avoid it and secretly scab.  I read somewhere that some daytime writers went fi core in 1988 but the names were never released.  

Also found it interesting that most of the Passions writers went fi core with Reilly.  Marlene Clark could be hired by Sony to write Days if needed.  Pete Rich also wrote Days in the past and is fi core. So I think Days has lots of options.  

So it could be

YR

Pricilla Kay Alden (love her first name) we need a new soap character with that name!  Maybe that's where Bell got Drucilla
Michael Conforti

Paula Cwickly

Days

Marlene McPherson

Fran Myers

Jean Ford

Pete Rich

Shawn Morrison

GH

Gary Tomlin

Michelle Lisanti

James H. Brown (he has a long history with ABC)

BB

John Smith

• Members

Sorry but Jesus.  A WGA strike could actually SAVE soaps.  For some shows when it happened in the 80's it turned out decently for them.  Right now, what else would these writers WRITE for?  I'm all for Unions and fighting for your rights but right now...they won't work again anyway.  So why would they strike?  If they strike - I actually wish there was no Ficore or whatever it's called...maybe then we'd get some new blood up in here.  I'm not going to overestimate any of you but I bet most of you could do better than we're seeing.  So bring on a STRIKE. 

• Members

Of course Kay Alden would HW Y&R during a WGA strike - she already did it for B&B (those three months as interim HW got her 6 years of Bell-Phillip Television Productions Inc. work and there's no way Brad Bell didn't keep her on as long as he did for another reason other than as a thank you for the WGA coverage).

Archived