DAYS: "Days" vet removed from credits...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like I said upthread, I understand why Josh Griffith would undo Caroline's disease.  But it DOES seem funny to me how he would take away an Alzheimer's diagnosis from Caroline, yet give Y&R's Nikki multiple sclerosis.

• Members

I would have preferred  for Caroline to die than for her last scene to be some random conversation with Theresa last summer.

I also prefer when the show deals with a real disease and not some made up disease which the character is miraculously cured from. That's just another reason (one of many) why soaps are a joke these days. Nothing is real, nothing has stakes, no real drama. It really is like a cartoon world.

Peggy had some really good scenes back in 2012 when Caroline first started showing signs of Alzheimer's.

• Members

I don't know, I think it would be cruel to ask a longtime cast member who's in the twilight of their lives to play their character's death out on screen. I understand that it might be dramatically more satisfying -- but I would be deeply offended (and extremely uncomfortable) if, for instance, they forced Bill Hayes to play his death and made Susan Hayes "act" the fallout. 

• Members

They killed off Stefano when Joe was battling with alzheimer's IRL. Although it seems like Joe wanted to leave by that time.

But they don't have to kill off every character. They could have had Caroline move to California but with an actual goodbye episode. A farewell party at the pub, or something, anything. I just want characters to exit on-screen and not fade away and one day hear from another character that they moved.                       

• Members

I agree. I think a lot of the actors love coming into work, even if their health isn't the greatest. It gives them purpose, fulfillment, etc.  I say use them while they're still with us and able to. I don't mind if the character eventually fades out and only referred to as being off-camera.  Now, in the cases where you have someone like Frank Parker (Grandpa Shawn) or John Clarke (Mickey) who happily decide to retire from acting, then I say it's okay to write in an onscreen death/farewell with the actor. JMO. 

• Members

Truth be told, I've never been AS enamored with the Bradys as other fans (aside from Wayne Northrop's Roman, Mary Beth Evans' Kayla, and Patsy Pease's Kimberly) although I DO recognize their importance both to the show and to its core audience.

Archived