DAYS: "Days" vet removed from credits...

• Members

BRADY MATRIARCH, AND "DAYS" LEGEND, PEGGY McCAY REMOVED FROM CREDITS...

Please register in order to view this content

Peggy McCay, who had been on a leave of absence from "Days of Our Lives" since March 2016, was removed from the credits today. McCay made her debut as Caroline Brady on February 7, 1983 at Roman and Marlena's wedding and stayed for just 3 episodes. She returned to the show on July 17, 1985 and had been a part of the cast ever since. Her last appearance, in scenes with Theresa at the Brady Pub, was on August 24, 2016. McCay was nominated 5 times for a Daytime Emmy for her role as Caroline (1986, 1987, 2013, 2015, 2016). She won a Primetime Emmy in 1991 for guest actress on the drama "The Trials of Rosie O'Neill." McCay has been working as a professional actress since she graduated college in 1949. Her first appearance on TV was 68 years ago on an episode of "Kraft Television Theatre" (July 13, 1949). Her first foray into daytime TV was on "Love of Life" in 1951. "Days" has yet to make an official comment on whether McCay has retired for good or will be making any more appearances in the future. The actress will be 90 in November. McCay wrote this message of thanks to the "Days" cast and crew for the show's 35th anniversary: "Every day I work with all of you is a truly happy day of my life."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
UPDATE FROM PEGGY McCAY'S COUSIN...

Peggy McCay's cousin/fan club president, Denise Kiel Smith, posted this comment today on my FB page:

"Thank you for your acknowledgement of Peggy. I always wished she would've received a Lifetime Achievement Award. As Peggy's cousin and president of her fan club I can say that she had serious surgery and had a long difficult recovery. When there was a small storyline for her she wasn't ready to return. Since then she hasn't been back. Peggy's fan club is still active and I print out FB comments for her to read. She's working on a documentary which is near completion. Peggy has been slowly working on her biography, too. She's finally getting to spend with her precious dogs Ollie and Emmy. She'll be thrilled to see all the love."

• Members

Well, as someone who has been a part of soap operas for over 50 years,she definitely should receive a Lifetime Acheivement Award.

She also has scores of primetime credits as well.

Some sort of Hall of Fame  situation needs to happen to recognize those performers who hung on in there for years.

• Members

Peggy's a fascinating personality - her 1995 Soap Opera Weekly interview is one of my favorite soap magazine interviews. I'm sorry that Caroline Brady never got a goodbye (although maybe it's for the best), but I'm glad to hear Peggy is enjoying her time. 

• Members

It sounds like she just wasn't recovering well from surgery but she's OK otherwise? It's a little confusing ... I'm sure they'd use her if they could like they did for Frances the few times they used her before she passed. I'd hope. DAYS treats their vets better than most IMO (for the most part ...). Hope we get to see her on-screen again. Hope she's well.

• Members

I wish DAYS would give these vets real exits instead of having the actors on until they aren't able to work anymore, and in the end the characters just fizzle out. Tom, Alice, Stefano, now with Caroline. The same will probably happen with Victor and Doug.

They did a good job with Shawn (Frank Parker).

• Members

Gosh, I hope not.  Death is inevitable, and no one is guaranteed tomorrow, but it would just hurt to lose one more veteran of this genre.

He did?  I've haven't watched DAYS consistently in such a long time, so I had no idea.

But I could understand why JG undid her diagnosis.  As of right now, Alzheimer's Disease is manageable with medication, but it isn't curable, so unless they had it in mind to kill off Caroline at the end, IDK how they could have kept her alive and on the canvas in that condition indefinitely.

Also, in order to do such a storyline justice, you have to depict how the disease ravages the mind and body over time, and not only might that be too hard for viewers to watch, I wouldn't trust DAYS (or any soap) to handle the story honestly and sensitively.

If she's ever up for a return, then I'm sure DAYS will find some way to make it happen.  But if not, then I also trust them to give her a proper send-off.  Because, aside from maybe Stefano/Joe Mascolo, it seems DAYS has a pretty good track record in this department.

Archived