Y&R: Cane and Lily's twins Soras'd to teens

• Members

Actually, Claire Labine and Paul Avila Mayer DID make that decision with RYAN'S HOPE.  It's only after they were no longer involved with the show that Ryan Fenelli and John Reid Ryan were SORASed into young adults.

I've always maintained that SORASing was a necessary evil for soaps, because waiting for children to age in real time can be tedious.  But I've also said that if one character is aged up, so, too, should every other child born in the same time period (IOW, you can't SORAS someone to sixteen years old while his/her contemporaries (or even children who preceded them in birth onscreen) remain in elementary school); and under no circumstances should SORASing happen at all unless and until his/her parents appear old enough to have adolescent or young adult children (which is where, IMO, Y&R has REALLY messed up this time).

(Apropo of nothing, but it always bugged me how AMC's Kendall and Josh appeared much younger than characters like Tad when really, according to when their (retconned) births occurred, they should have been the same age, if not older.)

Again, though, you can forgive all that if we had a more mature-looking actress playing Lily.  That, and not the fact that her babies are suddenly old enough to drive, is what sticks in my figurative craw about this decision.  (Well, that, and the blatant colorism.)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't know that about RH, but it makes a lot of sense, especially considering they didn't they have their characters popping out babies year after year after year.

I've heard the necessary evil argument for SORAS many times, but I still have to respectfully disagree. The UK soaps have largely managed to avoid SORAS over the years, and it's never presented any real issues. You can either look at it as waiting for the kids to grow up in real time or continuing to write storylines for their parents/grandparents, who, in most cases, are still viable characters and able to carry story. This doesn't mean all the soaps needed to go through a period where everyone's either a teenager or in their 40s - you keep creating new characters and weaving them into the show as needed.

It's just absolutely ridiculous that Alison Sweeney left DAYS playing grandmother. She was 40 years old and basically headed to the back burner. And we all know the biggest example would be poor Patricia Bruder from ATWT. She was in her 30s all throughout the 1970s and was stuck playing grandmother while actresses several years older than her (Kathryn Hays and Eileen Fulton, looking at y'all!) were driving story after story after story as romantic leads. Never mind the fact that the actors playing her own sons were all several years older than her, too! It's extremely embarrassing for the entire genre that SORAS is not only accepted but expected.

• Members

And technically he didn't for at least a decade.

Bell didn't majorly SORAS a character until the mid 80's and even then he's the only younger character Bell SORAS'es until Victoria & Nick (which each had it's own issues) a few years later.

• Members

I just feel it's more rushing Lily into a spot because the show hasn't been able to successfully fill that spot with any new characters. But i agree. If CK looked old enough for the role then it'd bother me much less. The character is biracial so colorism wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have the male character for comparison. 

• Members

I'd love it.

I really do wonder if this is to force Khalil to leave. How on earth can she realistically play mother to teenagers? I don't care what her age is it just looks ridiculous to me. Now Cane on the other hand, Goddard looks his age (that's not a slight on his looks, he's still attractive but needs to stay out of the sun ...) and he can pull it off just fine. Khalil still looks like a teenager, which is a major compliment to her, but she won't be taken seriously as a mother to 14-16 year olds. Lawd. What is this show thinking?

• Members

Yep. Now we either have Noah stuck or Nikki turned into a great grandma in her 50's with Nick and Sharon playing Grandma and Grandpappy.

Please register in order to view this content

Charlie and Maddie are also going to be stuck for quite awhile unless they want to make 30 year old looking Lily a grandma. Sure, it's more than possible for people those ages to be in those roles, but it's far from ideal.  I guess the bright side is the show might have to give the baby thing a rest for while, but as we see with Noah, that tends to lead to little romance or story.

• Members

I see the need for new younger characters to come on and spice things up,but constant SORASING is not the answer. 

They tend to cast older actors to play teens and after a few years are playing their own real age and timelines are destroyed.

Look at Adam.

First of all he was aged way too quickly. Born in 95 came back in 2008,already late 20s. If he was going to be aged it would be more believable if he was in his late teens. We could have seen his personality to develop.But the dreadful writing meant that in less than 10 years the character was no longer viable.

Archived