Remembering Douglas Marland: Timeless Storylines, Timeless Talent

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marland didn't want Holden to get his memory back. He wanted Lily and Holden to fall in love again.

He wanted Dan McCloskey to have his alzheimers play out gradually. Subsequent writers killed him with a heart attack.

I would have loved to see him write for Carly . If I am not mistaken ,she was on the drawing board but Packer and Backus brought her on.

I wonder if he would have went to Y&R? Just think of what could have been if he had been there before Latham and Maria ?

I wonder what Marland would have thought about Hogan Sheffer?

• Members

I loved how one conversation at the Yacht Club or Mona Lisa could advance three different stories.

Had he lived, he would have HATED network interference and budget cuts. That's part of reason why he left GH and GL. CBS interference in the mid to late 90's would have eventually caused him to leave ATWT.

• Members

It wasn't always that way, though.  Ask the long-time fans who were around for the Bill Bell and Pat Falken Smith eras.  Heck, ask anyone who watched DAYS before JER came along.  Even when the show was mired in '80's supercouple madness, it wasn't as off-the-rails crazy as it has become in the past twenty-plus years (and all due to a man who, IMHO, held more than a little contempt for the show he was HW'ing).

• Members

I didn't like his writing...his shows felt very sterile and boring..no passion.  He could juggle stories and come up with good ideas and pacing...but his dialogue felt more like recap/gossip then actual people talking.  It just didn't feel realistic to me.

Days was always melodramatic and never cold or sterile.  He wouldn't have been a good fit for that sho

Archived