Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Easier said than done, when CBS and Sony are probably armed to the teeth with data that says viewers actually WANT more of couples like Villy and Lane, or actors like Amelia Heinle and Greg Rikkart.  Now, Bill Bell could throw away such data and write whatever the hell he wanted, but times were different then, and he had had the opportunity to prove himself at ATWT and DAYS.  No one in daytime has that kind of capital with the networks anymore.

That's why I wish Kay Alden would be promoted to Co-HW, if not assume the HW'ing reins entirely.  She lost viewers, too, but given that she started with the show in '74 and had been, for many years, the show's de facto Co-HW, they MIGHT be inclined to allow her more leeway.  

Also, this goes without saying, but Mal Young needs to go.  He's not even as good at producing this show as Paul [!@#$%^&*] Rauch.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL!

But seriously.  Mal is muy mal.

I'm almost wishing Pierre David and Tom Berry would take over.  Their Lifetime movies are cheesy, but certainly better produced these days than Y&R.

• Members

@Khan If CBS had positive GR data, they sure wouldn't have brought this obvious exit story for his career only viable love interest. Who exactly is he going to be paired with? Mariah? I don't think so. Scott? I could see that after his deep concern about Ahmed... 

And I'm resigned to AH never leaving. I liked Victoria with Travis but Bacteria revisited is 100% FF material. The audience is not blind when JT/GT are on screen together no matter how rare or brief since the split - it's just electric. Similarly, the post-crash Hevon scenes - the audience can feel it. That passion is something Y&R desperately needs.

• Members

I agree, MCE and EH were pretty amazing today. I finally saw some of that fire MCE had in her when she was on AMC and was playing crazy Annie. However in regards to the directing of the scenes, something was missing. I had wished we witnessed the fight scene. 

I don't really fault Mal Young for much of his short comings as EP on Y&R, afterall CBS picked Jill Farren Phelps to teach him how to produce U.S. soaps. He was going to be either a exact carbon copy of her or venture out on his own and make his unique mark on the show. With some moderate changes, the production on the show has remained the same since JFP departed. 

• Members

Well this story wouldn't exist if that beefcake hadn't left Y&R for TIU. Plus there's a segment of audience that understands why Chloe would want revenge and that Chloe probably ended up rescuing him and hiding him away - the original way the story was planned thinking JH would come back if TIU flopped. 

Archived