YRBB

Y&R: April 2017 Discussion Thread

Juliajms   
5 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Shenaz Treasury is so vivacious, I'd love to see her as a cousin or bossy older sister!:wub:

Me too. I really miss having her on a soap.

Khan   
6 minutes ago, Aback said:

Wow. I love it. So true.

One of my pet-peeves as a viewer -- and this is true not just with soaps but with television across the board -- is watching people watching television (I'm looking at you, Ron Carlivati).  Or staring at computer screens (you, too, Lifetime movies).  Or talking or texting on cellphones.  All those things are Not. Dramatic.

And I'm also not fond of people walking around with coffee cups in their hands.  But that's another subject.

Aback   
21 minutes ago, Khan said:

One of my pet-peeves as a viewer -- and this is true not just with soaps but with television across the board -- is watching people watching television (I'm looking at you, Ron Carlivati).  Or staring at computer screens (you, too, Lifetime movies).  Or talking or texting on cellphones.  All those things are Not. Dramatic.

And I'm also not fond of people walking around with coffee cups in their hands.  But that's another subject.

I'm a translator and I used to translate a show -- it was a Turkish novela -- where 90% of the scenes were people talking over their cellphones. So dumb.

Why the coffee cups pet peeve? I'm curious (and at the same time worried I'll pick up the same pet peeve once you have explained it lol )

Khan   

Why the coffee cup pet peeve?  IDK.  I guess I see it as the shows' way of saying, "Ooooh, look how trendy we are," because, according to SOME body in the industry, drinking copious amount of java is the latest thing.

Plus, I feel like it's a crutch for actors who have no clue what else to do with their hands.

7 minutes ago, Aback said:

I'm a translator and I used to translate a show -- it was a Turkish novela -- where 90% of the scenes were people talking over their cellphones.

Good God, lol.

Aren't those coffee cups and coffee mugs empty? 

2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Shenaz Treasury is so vivacious, I'd love to see her as a cousin or bossy older sister!:wub:

Older sister 

Edited by cassadine1991

Khan   
4 hours ago, cassadine1991 said:

Aren't those coffee cups and coffee mugs empty?

That's another thing: they're empty, and they're clearly empty, and the actors hardly ever know how to make it appear as if they aren't empty.  They might as well carry around stuffed teddy bears.

10 hours ago, Khan said:

That's another thing: they're empty, and they're clearly empty, and the actors hardly ever know how to make it appear as if they aren't empty.  They might as well carry around stuffed teddy bears.

Is there no budget for coffee at all on these shows 

Soapsuds   
4 minutes ago, GMac said:

Over the last couple of days, things seem to be moving.  Finally. 

:huh::unsure:

The show is still about nothing.....

Ashley and Ravi kiss....eh......I doubt people were glued to their TV sets waiting for that......

Ravi's little lecture today was so bad. Lawd you'd think Ravi was Jesus Christ himself the way Sally Sussman is writing him.

Billy and Phyliss...eh...I dont see anything great about them either....I saw more chemistry with Billy and Cane the other day and their little hissy fit they had.

The show isn't moving..its still the boring mess drivel it's been since Sally took over.

Ponds   

I still like it, but that must be because I'm over 50.  I didn't watch it for about 5 years when Amber came on (I hated her) and I also missed when Adam arrived.  I came back when they cancelled the ABC soaps.

43 minutes ago, GMac said:

Over the last couple of days, things seem to be moving.  Finally. 

Where has Hilary been? 

Sidelined in favor of Mariah. 

50 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Sally Sussman sure is laying it thick with Ravi.:rolleyes:

I remain unmoved. 

And just as I suspected, the rewriting of Scott continues. So now he's not a journalist but some agent/spy. 

Edited by ajsp35801

Soapsuds   
25 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

And just as I suspected, the rewriting of Scott continues. So now he's not a journalist but some agent/spy. 

That sure came out of left field and Cricket knows but not his mother?:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

That sure came out of left field and Cricket knows but not his mother?:rolleyes:

They've decided him being a journalist isn't exciting enough. Can't wait until him and his sidekick (whoever she is, cause it ain't gonna be Sharon) start  saving the world together. :rolleyes: