DAYS: Actor exit confirmed...

• Members

Well, Cruz is pretty much A's only successful daytime role. However, he has had success in primetime, from LA Law to Profiler, and is currently working on the sixth and final season of Longmire. He also does indies, plays and music, but as far as daytime goes - yes, Cruz on SB was his only true successful role. However, I blame that more on the writers of the various soaps he has been on. A has the talent, but the roles he had on GH, B&B, OLTL and now DAYS were basically thankless.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's definitely a reflection of DAYS' writing, lack of direction, and lack of preparation. Let's come up with a list of "soap actors" who've come and gone on this show since around 2011, with nearly all their departures a result of poor character development (as opposed to a planned short-term story arc): 

Sarah Brown 

Ian Buchanan 

Daniel Cosgrove 

Melissa Archer 

John Paul Lavoisier 

Crishelle Straus (or however you spell it) 

Mark Collier 

A Martinez 

By contrast, GH and Y&R and even B&B (Thorsten, Rena, etc.) have had much more success in a post-AMC/OLTL/ATWT/GL world, swooping up soap refugees and giving them new life---long-term. 

P.S. Does anyone else find it hard to type on SON these days? On both my work computer and home, it constantly stops showing what I'm typing and I have to retype and retype. Annoying as f&ck. End of vent. 

• Members

I'm not hung up, I responded to a post in this thread.

I agree with what you say about the writing, lack of direction, and lack of preparation. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that some of these actors didn't exactly make the material better, some of them made it worse. It's easy to always blame the show because fans have high expectations when a "big/known" soap name is hired. What they don't see is that DAYS already have enough of their own vets, so bringing on someone from another soap doesn't mean they will be the star who gets all the attention.

I keep reading what an amazing actor Vincent Irizarry and how he was given a poorly written character. And I agree, Deimos is awful, but so has his acting been.

Same with Eduardo. "DAYS are terrible" for giving A such a poorly written character. "A is a great actor because he was the star of SB 25-30 years ago and has worked in primetime." Yet all I see is an actor who whispers all his lines and has no chemistry with his co-stars.

Despite that bad writing I could have enjoyed the characters of Deimos and Eduardo with different actors in the role.

Sarah Brown has had one successful role, as Carly over 15 years ago. She was a complete bore as Madison and Aggie. Claudia was a mess. I could go on with most of the actors on your lists. And seriously, JPL

Please register in order to view this content

Most of them were just in the right place at the right time in their careers. Now most of them are out-of work actors, unless they are hired by their out-of work friends who create, produce, write, direct and star in a web soap.

I'm pretty sure Mark Collier was always supposed to be short-term since Tomlin and Whitesell needed an obstacle#37 in the great love story of Daniel and Jennifer.

B&B has done a good job (love Rena and I surprisingly enjoy Thorsten even though he is so different from Ronn) but GH is terrible. Those actors are just lucky that GH doesn't have a revolving door of producers and writers like DAYS so their friend is still the EP. I can't comment on Y&R.

Yes, I also have problems when posting most of the times.

Archived