Sign in to follow this  
DRW50

The One (GMTV 1996 boyband soap)

Such was the popularity of UK soaps in the mid-90s that GMTV, the breakfast television show for ITV, had their own short soap episodes based on a boy band. The One. I'd never heard of or until I saw a few episodes put on Youtube today. It is cheesy as hell. Whether that's intentional or not I have no idea. 

@DRW50, how in the hell did you stumble on this painfully, cheesy mess? Are you sure this wasn't some spoof on a sketch comedy show or something? At least I hope it was. This is hilariously dreadful. 

I wondering if this was a jab at UK boyband, Blue (the group featuring one of my husbands, Duncan James)? 

12 minutes ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

@DRW50, how in the hell did you stumble on this painfully, cheesy mess? Are you sure this wasn't some spoof on a sketch comedy show or something? At least I hope it was. This is hilariously dreadful. 

I wondering if this was a jab at UK boyband, Blue (the group featuring one of my husbands, Duncan James)? 

I could see that, unless it was just a joke about the generic boyband (I notice they also had "the ugly one"). 

I do wonder if it was at least partly a joke (the scene where the blonde learns to walk again...), although it seemed half-serious. Weird stuff. 

2 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

I could see that, unless it was just a joke about the generic boyband (I notice they also had "the ugly one"). 

I do wonder if it was at least partly a joke (the scene where the blonde learns to walk again...), although it seemed half-serious. Weird stuff. 

Well I can see why it was short-lived. Again, it was painful.

Just now, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

Well I can see why it was short-lived. Again, it was painful.

There was another one (not on a morning show) around this time that had Anna Brecon, who I loved on Emmerdale. Apparently it also has David Banks, best known for being a Cyberman on Doctor Who...how random.