Greatest Soap Cop-Out's.

• Members

Could be true, but still shocking and fascinating to hear about that.

haha I actually always loved hearing Katherine refer to Brenda Dickson's Jill, or as the "contemptible tramp!" Jeanne always had fantastic diction when she would utter lines like that.
Honestly, It seems like out of all the female characters on Y&R, Lauren use to be the one who would use "bitch" the most, at least when Sheila was concerned haha. even Katherine and Jill rarely called each other that till like the middle 90's/late though Katherine does let it slip in a few early 90's I have.

Of course with B&B, Stephanie Forrester's go to insults from the get go, were "Bitch, Slut and Tramp" to Brooke

Please register in order to view this content

70's/early 80's ABC soaps seemed too family friendly to let that type of language slip.....I guess it's

because ABC soap characters are supposedly more endearing then the colder CBS/Bell characters, it just seemed in bad taste to go that far with the language....I know that changed later, but back then definitely.

Do you remember when Y&R or the other soaps first did catfights?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL....I would love to see that Lorie & Leslie confrontation. I wonder if Janice Lynde decided to ad lib that or if it was in the script ? I have read/heard about several funny, controversial, and odd scenes from the early days of Y&R. Such as:

Lorie kissed someone and a string of spit stretched across and remained there several minutes before being wiped away.

Snapper (William Gray Espy) walked up the Brooks stairs and exclaimed about the ugly wallpaper.

Lorie and Jed (Tom Selleck) took a shower together and naked bodies were pressed against the glass.

Snapper and Chris taking showers together.

When David Hasselhoff took over the role of Snapper they did a scene where he got into bed with dirty socks on and the camera zoomed in on them.

Katherine getting drunk and flirting with Jill in 1974.

• Members

I imagine the word was in the original script and that Lynde did not ad-lib it. Way back then, using foul language was verboten on television, so I would be surprise if Lynde had even dreamed she could get away with using it without permission. But who knows?

The shower scenes in Y&R's early years were legendary, LOL. I will never forget William Gray Espy (Snapper) disrobing and slinking into the shower; soaping himself up for a nice, long time while a track from Bless the Beasts and the Children played in the background: "Don't know where I'll sleep tonight/Don't know if it's wrong or right/Don't know know where I'll sleep tonight/Going down the line...." At that time, Snapper was a bit of a man-slut.

The wallpaper in the Brooks living room had a weird blue-ish, wavy design, which was also used on the set of The Jeffersons. Espy at one point did indeed remark, "I hate this wallpaper!" It was amusing, because I often wondered how many people in the audience had said the same thing to themselves.

• Members

LOL at Snapper being a man slut. The shower scene sounds risque for 70's daytime. That wallpaper was horrible. The set decorator Brock Broughton later did the sets for Dynasty in the 80's. I say Bill Bell named the character of Brock after him.

• Members

I agree. The 70's and 80's were a time when soaps could push the envelope and write stories that reflected what was happening in changing society. Now, we have hack writers that make the rounds from one soap to another and push brain dead recycled material because they think their viewers are stupid. 

• Members

That's what I thought in the mid-2000s but now I feel like all of the soaps are just trying to keep their head's above water. Everything is uninspired, all of the material just sits there flat and lifeless. It feels like they're not even trying. They're just pushing out work to fill the allotted airtime. They don't want to excite or offend. It's all very middle of the road and boring as hell.

• Members

Which is sad b/c why be an artist--a true artist if you aren't gonna even fight for your vision? Ain't no f-cking way I'd be showrunner on one of these shows and just roll over and die. We would be fighting up in that board room before I'd attach my name to some of the sh-t on these shows nowadays. Ain't no way...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived