Jump to content
Winchester91

Greatest Soap Cop-Out's.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

At the time (1975), I wondered if Leslie only screamed the word as the scene was fading to black so that the show could easily edit it out at the last minute if the censors got cold feet, LOL.

 

Yes, Katherine always called Jill a "tramp," and Phoebe Tyler used to call Donna Beck a "trollop" on AMC. They had to be creative with language before they could use the word "bitch."

 

(Of course, Phoebe's worst insults were always reserved for Mona Kane, her husband's secretary, whom she referred to with the upmost contempt and venom as, "THAT KANE WOMAN!"

 

Ahh, I miss the good old days of soaps.

Could be true, but still shocking and fascinating to hear about that.

haha I actually always loved hearing Katherine refer to Brenda Dickson's Jill, or as the "contemptible tramp!" Jeanne always had fantastic diction when she would utter lines like that.
Honestly, It seems like out of all the female characters on Y&R, Lauren use to be the one who would use "bitch" the most, at least when Sheila was concerned haha. even Katherine and Jill rarely called each other that till like the middle 90's/late though Katherine does let it slip in a few early 90's I have.

Of course with B&B, Stephanie Forrester's go to insults from the get go, were "Bitch, Slut and Tramp" to Brooke :D 

70's/early 80's ABC soaps seemed too family friendly to let that type of language slip.....I guess it's

 because ABC soap characters are supposedly more endearing then the colder CBS/Bell characters, it just seemed in bad taste to go that far with the language....I know that changed later, but back then definitely.

Do you remember when Y&R or the other soaps first did catfights?



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sindacco said:

Alice and Doug weren't supposed to be killed during the original story. By that time there were already rewrites. Celeste was supposed to be the next victim after Tony.

What else was supposed to happen in the original story 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bell like that siblings that don't know they are related fall in love story didn't he?  Scott and Cricket were a couple too before they found out.  He seems to have used it several times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

At the time (1975), I wondered if Leslie only screamed the word as the scene was fading to black so that the show could easily edit it out at the last minute if the censors got cold feet, LOL.

 

Yes, Katherine always called Jill a "tramp," and Phoebe Tyler used to call Donna Beck a "trollop" on AMC. They had to be creative with language before they could use the word "bitch."

 

(Of course, Phoebe's worst insults were always reserved for Mona Kane, her husband's secretary, whom she referred to with the upmost contempt and venom as, "THAT KANE WOMAN!"

 

Ahh, I miss the good old days of soaps.

 

LOL....I would love to see that Lorie & Leslie confrontation. I wonder if Janice Lynde decided to ad lib that or if it was in the script ? I have read/heard about several funny, controversial, and odd scenes from the early days of Y&R. Such as:

 

Lorie kissed someone and a string of spit stretched across and remained there several minutes before being wiped away.

 

Snapper (William Gray Espy) walked up the Brooks stairs and exclaimed about the ugly wallpaper.

 

Lorie and Jed (Tom Selleck) took a shower together and naked bodies were pressed against the glass.

 

Snapper and Chris taking showers together.

 

When David Hasselhoff took over the role of Snapper they did a scene where he got into bed with dirty socks on and the camera zoomed in on them.

 

Katherine getting drunk and flirting with Jill in 1974.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by SoapDope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

 

LOL....I would love to see that Lorie & Leslie confrontation. I wonder if Janice Lynde decided to ad lib that or if it was in the script ? I have read/heard about several funny, controversial, and odd scenes from the early days of Y&R. Such as:

 

Lorie kissed someone and a string of spit stretched across and remained there several minutes before being wiped away.

 

Snapper (William Gray Espy) walked up the Brooks stairs and exclaimed about the ugly wallpaper.

 

Lorie and Jed (Tom Selleck) took a shower together and naked bodies were pressed against the glass.

 

Snapper and Chris taking showers together.

 

When David Hasselhoff took over the role of Snapper they did a scene where he got into bed with dirty socks on and the camera zoomed in on them.

 

Katherine getting drunk and flirting with Jill in 1974.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I imagine the word was in the original script and that Lynde did not ad-lib it. Way back then, using foul language was verboten on television, so I would be surprise if Lynde had even dreamed she could get away with using it without permission. But who knows?

 

The shower scenes in Y&R's early years were legendary, LOL. I will never forget William Gray Espy (Snapper) disrobing and slinking into the shower; soaping himself up for a nice, long time while a track from Bless the Beasts and the Children played in the background: "Don't know where I'll sleep tonight/Don't know if it's wrong or right/Don't know know where I'll sleep tonight/Going down the line...." At that time, Snapper was a bit of a man-slut.

 

The wallpaper in the Brooks living room had a weird blue-ish, wavy design, which was also used on the set of The Jeffersons. Espy at one point did indeed remark, "I hate this wallpaper!" It was amusing, because I often wondered how many people in the audience had said the same thing to themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

I imagine the word was in the original script and that Lynde did not ad-lib it. Way back then, using foul language was verboten on television, so I would be surprise if Lynde had even dreamed she could get away with using it without permission. But who knows?

 

The shower scenes in Y&R's early years were legendary, LOL. I will never forget William Gray Espy (Snapper) disrobing and slinking into the shower; soaping himself up for a nice, long time while a track from Bless the Beasts and the Children played in the background: "Don't know where I'll sleep tonight/Don't know if it's wrong or right/Don't know know where I'll sleep tonight/Going down the line...." At that time, Snapper was a bit of a man-slut.

 

The wallpaper in the Brooks living room had a weird blue-ish, wavy design, which was also used on the set of The Jeffersons. Espy at one point did indeed remark, "I hate this wallpaper!" It was amusing, because I often wondered how many people in the audience had said the same thing to themselves.

LOL at Snapper being a man slut. The shower scene sounds risque for 70's daytime. That wallpaper was horrible. The set decorator Brock Broughton later did the sets for Dynasty in the 80's. I say Bill Bell named the character of Brock after him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SoapDope said:

LOL at Snapper being a man slut. The shower scene sounds risque for 70's daytime. That wallpaper was horrible. The set decorator Brock Broughton later did the sets for Dynasty in the 80's. I say Bill Bell named the character of Brock after him.

 

The 1970s were very risque on the soaps, much more so than now.

 

Not that I am complaining. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

The 1970s were very risque on the soaps, much more so than now.

 

Not that I am complaining. :)

I agree. The 70's and 80's were a time when soaps could push the envelope and write stories that reflected what was happening in changing society. Now, we have hack writers that make the rounds from one soap to another and push brain dead recycled material because they think their viewers are stupid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoapDope said:

I agree. The 70's and 80's were a time when soaps could push the envelope and write stories that reflected what was happening in changing society. Now, we have hack writers that make the rounds from one soap to another and push brain dead recycled material because they think their viewers are stupid. 

 

That's what I thought in the mid-2000s but now I feel like all of the soaps are just trying to keep their head's above water. Everything is uninspired, all of the material just sits there flat and lifeless. It feels like they're not even trying. They're just pushing out work to fill the allotted airtime. They don't want to excite or offend. It's all very middle of the road and boring as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IA, Darn.  It's as if TPTB don't want any more hassles with the networks, so they just put out the material they know will get approved the easiest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khan said:

IA, Darn.  It's as if TPTB don't want any more hassles with the networks, so they just put out the material they know will get approved the easiest.

 

Which is sad b/c why be an artist--a true artist if you aren't gonna even fight for your vision? Ain't no f-cking way I'd be showrunner on one of these shows and just roll over and die. We would be fighting up in that board room before I'd attach my name to some of the sh-t on these shows nowadays. Ain't no way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about that story on GH in the summer of 1997 involving Felicia, Maxie and some dolls? There was some sleazy-looking guy spying on them, and the ominous music kept playing. I don't even remember how it ended, but it was stupid...and an obvious rush job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

How about that story on GH in the summer of 1997 involving Felicia, Maxie and some dolls? There was some sleazy-looking guy spying on them, and the ominous music kept playing. I don't even remember how it ended, but it was stupid...and an obvious rush job.

 

From what I remember, the story was mostly dropped entirely, although I think they may have used this as a tie to start the double Mac plotline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DRW50 said:

 

From what I remember, the story was mostly dropped entirely, although I think they may have used this as a tie to start the double Mac plotline.

It was dropped. The double Mac story was stupid, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×