Jump to content
YRBB

Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Soaplovers said:

Does anyone remember the actress that briefly took over for heather Tom in 1997.  I recall she quit because the show insisted she reaudition for the part.

 

Sarah Aldrich, She went on to play Courtney on Port Charles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

 

You watch 5 minutes here or there and have all these opinions? And all of them negative? Uh....ok.

 

Obviously that's all it takes cause those opinions were spot on. 

4 hours ago, GMac said:

I'm on the fence at this point.  I agree with @DramatistDreamer @ajsp35801 and @ryanc that the pacing is horrendous. Why aren't they rotating other characters in day-to-day like Hilary/Devon?  Or Sharon?  Mariah?  Ashley?  There's no reason for it and it's gotten worse the last few weeks with the same stories on everyday for a week or two.  What's changed?? 

 

I mentioned this this before a few weeks ago, but I really used to enjoy how, back in the day, soaps had a pretty standard pacing format.  The lead and c stories were on MWF and the b stories Tu/Thu.  It worked well.  I don't think we will ever get back to that but something has to change.

 

The writing is so much improved over past regimes.

 

 

I don't know what happened in February but December and January were far more balanced with a bit better pacing. Its like they doubled down on Victoria and Billy for some odd reason that I can't surmise. 

 

But even with the issues, the show is wholly improved 

Edited by ajsp35801

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ajsp35801 said:

 

 

 

I don't know what happened in February but December and January were far more balanced with a bit better pacing. Its like they doubled down on Victoria and Billy for some odd reason that I can't surmise. 

 

 

In December Sally had Tracy, Ashley, Billy and Jack and the whole family angst story. She started great with that and just dropped it for this sh!t we have now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

In December Sally had Tracy, Ashley, Billy and Jack and the whole family angst story. She started great with that and just dropped it for this sh!t we have now.

 

But the key is she had other interesting things besides the Abbots angst playing in December. Same for January. She dropped it all to focus on one thing, vikki/billy, and have everything spinning off them. jill's heart attack gave Billy more story. Cane and Lily angst at a brash and sassy gives billy/Vikki more story. . Even when Devon and Hilary came back it was to enhance  vikki/Billy/Lily/cane plot at brash and sassy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amelia was somewhat interesting during the affair with the blond; but they scrapped it and she really doesn't have chemistry with JT. She looks tired and bored with the material and she can't see this BS june cleaver/reed story.  I don't blame her for that.  As far as pacing, a lot of it has to do with budget.  They're licensing fees must have been dramatically slashed too.  They have cut the number of performances of all the actors across the board as well as cut down on number of contract actors.  In Sally's first three months, Victor's been on half as much. Same with Chloe and Chelsea.  And they had no star power replacements for Adam and Dylan.  We got Reed, Ravi and a bunch of other day players coming in.  The one bright spot is Jess Walton but that cheap Chancellor set detracts from her scenes.  So tacky...as Eric Braeden said about that ranch set. Phelps was a menace to the show. We all knew that. But Mal has done too little to fix and repair.  He clearly doesn't want to go back the distinct look YR had under Bell that Scott and Rauch carried forward.  Oh how I miss Paul Rauch even with Maria Bell's lame stories, the show looked so classy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ajsp35801 said:

 

But the key is she had other interesting things besides the Abbots angst playing in December. Same for January. She dropped it all to focus on one thing, vikki/billy, and have everything spinning off them. jill's heart attack gave Billy more story. Cane and Lily angst at a brash and sassy gives billy/Vikki more story. . Even when Devon and Hilary came back it was to enhance  vikki/Billy/Lily/cane plot at brash and sassy. 

 

It's at the point where I'd almost buy that this was a soap meant to center around Billy and Victoria. Reminds me of a less extreme version of the Sonny and Carly hour in the early 2000s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amelia hasn't had chemistry with anyone on the show. They don't even comb her darn hair. She looks like a witch!  I agree that the sets are awful....the ranch which MTS also complained about how ugly it was to the Chancellor Estate which was one of the best sets ever is now just poop. Victor hasn't been on because Eric Braden is promoting his new book.

8 minutes ago, Darn said:

 

It's at the point where I'd almost buy that this was a soap meant to center around Billy and Victoria. Reminds me of a less extreme version of the Sonny and Carly hour in the early 2000s.

It became more like Billy loves Victoria....aka...Joanie loves Chachi parody.

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Darn said:

 

It's at the point where I'd almost buy that this was a soap meant to center around Billy and Victoria. Reminds me of a less extreme version of the Sonny and Carly hour in the early 2000s.

 

Well, Billy and Victoria are less interesting and compelling than Sonny and Carly. That's the only reason it seems less extreme. Cause it surely can't be because there is lesser focus  (18/20 and 17/20 in Feb for AH and JT, respectively)  

 

It's like the show doesn't have a signature couple in that age range so they will force it to be Billy and Victoria cause...it looks right on paper? But that's all I got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This trash heap did not bring Katherine back from the dead in order to justify Jill forgiving Colin. How gross.

 

If you ignore the purpose of those scenes and how blatant they are with their agenda it was lovely to see all of those flashbacks. The only watchable parts of today.

 

Nick and Chelsea are DOA. End it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Darn said:

This trash heap did not bring Katherine back from the dead in order to justify Jill forgiving Colin. How gross.

 

If you ignore the purpose of those scenes and how blatant they are with their agenda it was lovely to see all of those flashbacks. The only watchable parts of today.

 

Nick and Chelsea are DOA. End it now.

How is Kay BFTD?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Katherine did encourage people to stay with their abusers (i.e. Nikki with Victor for instance)...so not a surprise shed encourage jill to stay with Colin...a littlw payback from the grave.

 

I always hated the last decade or so of Katherine being some saint when she was an evil woman.  She killed a man after all.  I guess i was alwayd team Jill.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SS has been successfully working those flashbacks though, lol.

 

On one hand, they are trying to somehow resolve the music box storyline which Pratt created and was an absolute mess! On the other hand, I would've left that music box storyline for dead because it was awful to begin with but I guess they are trying to somehow "reform" Colin, although having him sell a precious heirloom that didn't belong to him without Jill's consent doesn't seem the best way to do this.

 

And using  Katherine's ghost to try to somehow coax Jill into 'finding love' with untrustworthy Colin seems a stretch too far....way too far. It actually cheapens Katherine's memory, to me, in a way. 

 

3 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

Katherine did encourage people to stay with their abusers (i.e. Nikki with Victor for instance)...so not a surprise shed encourage jill to stay with Colin...a littlw payback from the grave.

 

I always hated the last decade or so of Katherine being some saint when she was an evil woman.  She killed a man after all.  I guess i was alwayd team Jill.

 

It still doesn't make sense that in the same letter Katherine would admit that Phillip always and only loved Jill (which came off as awkwardly written), something that can only be believeable as a last testimonial only made possible with the spectre of sudden death and then want to orchestrate payback from the grave. Seems contradictory at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

SS has been successfully working those flashbacks though, lol.

 

On one hand, they are trying to somehow resolve the music box storyline which Pratt created and was an absolute mess! On the other hand, I would've left that music box storyline for dead because it was awful to begin with but I guess they are trying to somehow "reform" Colin, although having him sell a precious heirloom that didn't belong to him without Jill's consent doesn't seem the best way to do this.

 

And using  Katherine's ghost to try to somehow coax Jill into 'finding love' with untrustworthy Colin seems a stretch too far....way too far. It actually cheapens Katherine's memory, to me, in a way. 

 

They did't use her 'ghost'.  They made it clear Colin put it in the mailbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×