Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Obviously that's all it takes cause those opinions were spot on. 

I don't know what happened in February but December and January were far more balanced with a bit better pacing. Its like they doubled down on Victoria and Billy for some odd reason that I can't surmise. 

But even with the issues, the show is wholly improved 

• Members

But the key is she had other interesting things besides the Abbots angst playing in December. Same for January. She dropped it all to focus on one thing, vikki/billy, and have everything spinning off them. jill's heart attack gave Billy more story. Cane and Lily angst at a brash and sassy gives billy/Vikki more story. . Even when Devon and Hilary came back it was to enhance  vikki/Billy/Lily/cane plot at brash and sassy. 

• Members

Amelia was somewhat interesting during the affair with the blond; but they scrapped it and she really doesn't have chemistry with JT. She looks tired and bored with the material and she can't see this BS june cleaver/reed story.  I don't blame her for that.  As far as pacing, a lot of it has to do with budget.  They're licensing fees must have been dramatically slashed too.  They have cut the number of performances of all the actors across the board as well as cut down on number of contract actors.  In Sally's first three months, Victor's been on half as much. Same with Chloe and Chelsea.  And they had no star power replacements for Adam and Dylan.  We got Reed, Ravi and a bunch of other day players coming in.  The one bright spot is Jess Walton but that cheap Chancellor set detracts from her scenes.  So tacky...as Eric Braeden said about that ranch set. Phelps was a menace to the show. We all knew that. But Mal has done too little to fix and repair.  He clearly doesn't want to go back the distinct look YR had under Bell that Scott and Rauch carried forward.  Oh how I miss Paul Rauch even with Maria Bell's lame stories, the show looked so classy.

• Members

It's at the point where I'd almost buy that this was a soap meant to center around Billy and Victoria. Reminds me of a less extreme version of the Sonny and Carly hour in the early 2000s.

• Members

Amelia hasn't had chemistry with anyone on the show. They don't even comb her darn hair. She looks like a witch!  I agree that the sets are awful....the ranch which MTS also complained about how ugly it was to the Chancellor Estate which was one of the best sets ever is now just poop. Victor hasn't been on because Eric Braden is promoting his new book.

It became more like Billy loves Victoria....aka...Joanie loves Chachi parody.

• Members

Well, Billy and Victoria are less interesting and compelling than Sonny and Carly. That's the only reason it seems less extreme. Cause it surely can't be because there is lesser focus  (18/20 and 17/20 in Feb for AH and JT, respectively)  

It's like the show doesn't have a signature couple in that age range so they will force it to be Billy and Victoria cause...it looks right on paper? But that's all I got. 

• Members

This trash heap did not bring Katherine back from the dead in order to justify Jill forgiving Colin. How gross.

If you ignore the purpose of those scenes and how blatant they are with their agenda it was lovely to see all of those flashbacks. The only watchable parts of today.

Nick and Chelsea are DOA. End it now.

• Members

Katherine did encourage people to stay with their abusers (i.e. Nikki with Victor for instance)...so not a surprise shed encourage jill to stay with Colin...a littlw payback from the grave.

I always hated the last decade or so of Katherine being some saint when she was an evil woman.  She killed a man after all.  I guess i was alwayd team Jill.

• Members

SS has been successfully working those flashbacks though, lol.

On one hand, they are trying to somehow resolve the music box storyline which Pratt created and was an absolute mess! On the other hand, I would've left that music box storyline for dead because it was awful to begin with but I guess they are trying to somehow "reform" Colin, although having him sell a precious heirloom that didn't belong to him without Jill's consent doesn't seem the best way to do this.

And using  Katherine's ghost to try to somehow coax Jill into 'finding love' with untrustworthy Colin seems a stretch too far....way too far. It actually cheapens Katherine's memory, to me, in a way. 

It still doesn't make sense that in the same letter Katherine would admit that Phillip always and only loved Jill (which came off as awkwardly written), something that can only be believeable as a last testimonial only made possible with the spectre of sudden death and then want to orchestrate payback from the grave. Seems contradictory at best.

Archived