Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I disagree. Katherine murdered a man, and she lived off the spoils of his murder her whole life in grand fashion. She never paid for it, or even admitted to it. She never said she was sorry to Jill (or Phillip III, or Chance). That's not resolved to me.

• Members

Katherine admitted that Phillip loved and wanted to be with Jill (which was what their whole feud was based around) in a throwaway conversation a few years ago.

But Y&R totally dropped any fallout from Katherine's confession which should've been a fundamental life changing moment for two legendary characters (especially Jill).

• Members

I remember quite a few messageboards where posters were using coded language and derogatory language to describe Tyler and a number were also assailing Redaric's acting skills simply because they hated even recognizing the possibility of an attraction between Lily and Tyler.

• Members

Devon isn't dating down. He came on as a kid in the Rec Center. His first 15 years were spent just like hers.His money now doesn't necessarily make him better or worse than anyone else. Aside from the last few years, Deon has always been grounded and down to Earth. Personally, I would have had Devon start dating with his friend Abby.

Devon needs to be re-established. His last few years have been about "Hevon". I agree with Sally's decision to give Devon direction. The character spent so much time back burnered, his only major girlfriend was a four appearance a year dayplayer. What makes Devon tick outside of Hilary?   Also, dates with Mariah give Devon an excuse to go to GCBuzz, so is he using Mariah to see Hilary? Does he like Mariah for the chance to go back to simpler times? 

• Members

It was clearly orchestrated by Lane fans because as soon as Tyler was paired with Abby, most of the furor died down. There were still a few posters insisting that Redaric couldn't act and they wanted him gone but I suspect they were afraid Tyler might be paired with Lily sometime in the future and his removal would ensure that it wouldn't happen again.

The fact that these Lame fans felt at ease resorted to racist dogwhistle language proved that they would stoop to the lowest common denominator to try to keep Lily tied to Cane. I'm sure they'd rather have Lame bore us to death, if that meant they stay together.

I always wondered why Victor never tried to mentor Devon. There was one poignant scene at the Rec Center between Victor and Devon when Devon was still a foster kid that had me hoping that maybe there would be some bond fostered between the two since both experienced what could be described as 'rough and tumble' childhoods marked by periods of parental abandonment, but it never happened.

It also could've been a nice organic source of conflict between Neil and Victor, with Neil concerned that some of Victor's ruthless ways could influence Devon.

• Members

I mean Mariah is a real character with a family in GC, not a new nobody character like Jordan or a dayplayer. Why is Mariah a step down? What's wrong with her?

I don't even remember it. Maybe because they dropped the fallout? But that's all the more reason to tie everything up after Kay died.

But that still that doesn't deal with the murder. In my mind that was the original sin of which decades of story was based off of. It was all ignored in Kay's later years because she was now GC's grand dame, but never forgotten if you were watching in those early years. Phillip feeling more love for Jill than Kay is minor issue compared to Kay taking a man's life. Kay took away a woman's husband, a son's father and all the financial support he wanted to provide for them. Instead she used his money to make their lives hell. Phillip wasn't even allowed to have the Chancellor name until Kay allowed it. And her story ends without even being sorry for it???

Being sorry for not giving Jill the ring is at least something. I guess I can understand her deluding herself into believing it was an accident because she couldn't face the ugly truth about herself. At least this way Jill is the better person. Another plus is that she doesn't have to rely on any of Kay's handouts to live. She makes her own money and she got back Phillip's company despite her.

• Members

I don't know why anyone was surprised. Lane fans acted the same way towards Davetta. The only difference is that Khalil herself was personally involved back then vs. later on with Redaric.

Y&R dropped Victor & Devon's friendship altogether once Neil & Dru became his foster parents. You're right that they had a nice little bond which the writers SHOULD'VE continued but didn't (and you know exactly why they didn't). 

• Members

It was during that insane period where Victor married FOUR times in the span of a year and a half. That time period also included Sharon burning down the ranch, Genie Francis humping Jack, Abby running over Tucker, and Skye falling into volcanoes!

The whole crux of Katherine & Jill's relationship was Katherine insisting Jill seduced Phillip. For Katherine to acknowledge Phillip's feelings were legitimate and that she treated Jill poorly out of spite was a revelation for anyone who with any real idea of the storied history between the two characters.

Yet the entire story was dropped due to Y&R's insistence on pairing Jill & Colin and Jeanne's ongoing health issues.

• Members

It wasn't money or upnringing why I think Devon is dating down. I don't think Mariah has anything going for her but this down to earth, grounded, authentic persona that they recently gave her to contrast to look better up against Hilary who they've made some spoiled rich undeserving diva. All of a sudden Mariah has a disdain for money when we saw her on a paper chase last year with Natalie and Kevin. Sorry...do. not. like. Devon can do better. And not cause of money. 

There are so many things they can do with Devon now that he and Hilary are broken up besides have him go on awkward dates with asexual Mariah. 

I really hope they take this opportunity to give him purpose besides fawning over a woman. The rec center is a great idea. He can mentor at risk youth. 

After Kay died, Devon went to  Victor for advice. But nothing ever came of it. I think some were insulted because he chose Victor instead of his own father Neil. I remember complaints about that. 

Kevin Fisher has family in GC and longevity on the show. But if they paired Hilary with Kevin,  I'd also think she was dating down. And even he has more going for himself than Mariah. 

• Members

If the writers had planted the seed early on, that Devon and Victor had an actual bond, viewers would have accepted that- it's when the show tries to put people in each other's orbit out of nowhere that most viewers feel insulted. 

Soaps have long ago stopped thinking ahead and long term. Every story written now is an act of desperation.

Archived