Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

It's a bigger than just patriarchal storytelling for Y&R (although that remains very problematic).

The biggest issue is the Newmans taking over. The Newmans have been Y&R's primary family for years but the show's over reliance on them has become more prevalent now because the rest of Y&R's core families have been decimated.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was talking about the A storylines though. As much as Victoria bores me, it's been a heck of a long time since she's had anything resembling an A storyline.

I realize the entire Newman clan monopolizing airtime and story is a big problem but Victor is the defacto head of the Newmans (I promise, no jokes about snakes and heads), pretty much all Newman storylines intersect with him at some point (we've already seen it with Billy/Victoria and Nick/Christian/Chelsea).

Same thing with what little story the Abbotts often have, Ashley cannot seem to have a significant storyline without Jack and the story she has with Ravi is a side-story, at best.

The show could've easily concocted a compelling Lauren Fenmore's  story without Jack but somehow they wouldn't do it. 

Same for Jill, who could have at least two good stories with Colin nowhere in sight yet here he is.

When Jill and Katherine went toe to toe, the male characters were often incidental in their storylines, the compelling action was between Katherine and Jill.

You'd be surprised in the subtle ways in which patriarchy influences a great deal. It's grasp is vast and you often barely recognize just how many areas it covers.

I mentioned this in response to the issue that @Khan presented which, looks more and more like an interesting question worthy of looking at.  

We know that many of the storied headwriters of these shows battled network executives and often whether they came out on top or had to bow to the networks usually depended on the strength of their ratings and the reputation, clout and goodwill that they could capitalize on.  

Someone like a SS or even a MY probably don't have the clout of a Bill Bell, Agnes Nixon or a Douglas Marland to push through juicier storylines.

It's something to consider.

• Members

+1.

The only problem is that her stories are really shallow.

The concepts themselves are solid but she never takes the time to invest in the characters to get them creating story as she does in inventing random issues for them to deal with.

Her usual thing is to give characters an arc over a couple of weeks with a random history mention and/or set of flashbacks only to then drop that story (instead of seeing it to a proper conclusion) by spinning off the characters involved into a side story.

• Members

Are they [!@#$%^&*] off screen?

Today's show....

Loved Nikki and Jill until I realized it was really about Colin and forgiving his sorry ass. I am not here for Jill and Colin.....bye

Yay to Neil for trying to send Colin back on a plane to Austrailia.

Lily and Cane are still boring and no story will make them interesting. SS should have gotten rid of Cane.

Victoria and Billy again....zzzzzzzzzzz.....and that dance by Billy was embarrassing.......

Victoria and Reed going at again and another permission slip.....zzzzzzzz

Gloria....zzzzzzzzzzz

Jack vs Ashley is always good too bad its about getting even with Billy.....Jack needs to move on....I kept wondering how Y&R would have been had they killed off Jack when Terry Lester left the role and instead they kept John Abbott.

Ashley and tech guy......zzzzzzz

Previews....looks like Jill will forgive Colin.....zzzzzzzzz

• Members

+1 My God. It is SO bad. Just watching them makes me feel like I've been slimed. Gloria in Jack's office today *shudders*. I just don't know what these writers are thinking. Well, I wanted Jack to be with someone his own age. Be careful what you wish for!

• Members

But I don't understand the purpose of this story. He stole from her then he stole from her again and that equals forgiveness?

The whole Katherine thing about "let love in" feels very...women of a certain age should accept love no matter how abusive the form? He stole her fortune! He stole a ring left to her by the love of her life! From a dead woman! It doesn't make any sense.

Jill deserves better than that grey-haired rotisserie chicken.

• Members

That's Sally's writing for you. No wonder she was denied HW job the first time she applied.  I shouldn't be surprised considering how bad her creation of Generations was.. The same boring as sh!t with no stories at all.

• Members

Didnt she end up getting a co-headwriter on generations in the last months?  I know SOD ranked it modt inproved show in 1990.

It seems thst all soaps have this double standard writing that women should forgive men thst cheat and abuse them...but that men should wash their hands of women thst cheat and abuse them.

If Devon deceived or cheated on hilary...the writing woulf slant it where everyone tells hilary to forgive him...she is lucky to have love.  However, since hilary did the deceiving/cheating...the writing is slanted toward him making a clean break from her.  It's telling on Monday's episode where hilary said it was a relief that now she could be herself and not pretend.  The actress did so well with that scene thst i wonder if it wad truly acting..or the actress relieved.

Of course nikki wpuld encourage jill to forgive Colin....she forgives her abuser time and time again.  Katherine used to encourage nikki to stay with victor...so it makes sense shed encourage Jill from beyond the grave to stay with colinm

Archived