Sign in to follow this  
Paul Raven

Morning Star

So Katy and Bill are still around.

This episode worked a bit better for me. While I didn't like the musical cue, I thought the opening with the Carousel Building was an effective shot and more than we would get today in a world where the camera doesn't seem to move much.

Edward Mallory was a bit over the top in some of those scenes and the actress playing Katy appears very mature for the young ingénue role.

The Katy/Bill scenes do seem to clear up the very messy first episode we see. The show was definitely leading the audience into a mystery regarding whether it was Grace or Stan who was poisoning Dana. I guess the back and forth in that episode was intended to be suspenseful.

14 minutes ago, dc11786 said:

So Katy and Bill are still around.

This episode worked a bit better for me. While I didn't like the musical cue, I thought the opening with the Carousel Building was an effective shot and more than we would get today in a world where the camera doesn't seem to move much.

Edward Mallory was a bit over the top in some of those scenes and the actress playing Katy appears very mature for the young ingénue role.

The Katy/Bill scenes do seem to clear up the very messy first episode we see. The show was definitely leading the audience into a mystery regarding whether it was Grace or Stan who was poisoning Dana. I guess the back and forth in that episode was intended to be suspenseful.

I didn't catch that last part. Thanks. 

I liked the scenes in the chambers. The other scenes were decent too but everyone seemed to be on uppers. 

The skyline looks a bit more like something from the '50s but I guess they didn't have a budget. 

On 4/18/2017 at 3:42 AM, Paul Raven said:

Some background on Morning Star.

It replaced Concentration at 11.00 am. Concentration moved to 10.30, a timeslot it held for the next 8 years.

When Morning Star was cancelled it was replaced by Chain Letter which lasted only 3 months.

CBS obviously ruled the roost with Andy Griffith reruns, which played at 11.00am from 64-70.

Another nail in the coffin may have been Supermarket Sweep on ABC which debuted Dec 65 and lasted till April 67 so most likely outrated Morning Star.

Why are there no ratings for this soap? I am looking at the archives and no ratings.

1 hour ago, Soapsuds said:

Why are there no ratings for this soap? I am looking at the archives and no ratings.

Was only on for the one season, it tied for 13th with Dark Shadows and Paradise Bay (according to Wiki, at least)

• 13. Morning Star 4.1 (Debut/Final Season: September 27, 1965 to July 1, 1966)

Usually those ones we see in our threads only go to the Top 10, and I doubt this show ever got high enough ratings to rank above 10, so...

Edited by beebs

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:58 PM, Paul Raven said:

NBC September 65 - July 66

“Morning Star,” NBCTV’s new daytime soap opera, debuting Sept. 13, will feature musical themes by the husband and wife songwriting team, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. Composer Mann, whose first TV assignment two years ago was the theme of “The Farmer’s Daughter,” has also created a new theme this season for that program. The couple are currently represented on the best-selling charts with such releases as Gene Pitney’s “Looking Through the Eyes of Love” (Musicor Records), The Animals’ “We Gotta Get Out of This Place” (MGM Records), and two versions of “Home of the Brave” in recordings by Jody Miller (Capitol Records) and Bonnie and the Treasures (Philles Records). Just released on Imperial Records is a new single by Joel Christie that features two Mann/Weil tunes: “See That Girl” and “It’s All Right Now.” In addition to these hits on the singles charts, two new LP’s have been released featuring as title songs current Mann/Weil hits: Musicor’s “Looking Through the Eyes of Love” and MGM’s “We Gotta Get Out of This Place.” Already high on the album charts is an LP by The Righteous Brothers on Philles featuring the Mann/Weil hit, “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ ” as its title.

What a great article about the show and its music. As a coda to the last sentence, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" is the most played song in the history of radio!!

Cynthia Weil co-wrote another song, this time with Michael Masser and Tom Snow, that would serve as a love theme for a popular soap couple. In 1984, their "If Ever Your In My Arms Again" (sung by Peabo Bryson) became Kelly and Joe's song on the brand-new NBC soap Santa Barbara. The song was #1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Chart the day SB debuted.

MORNING STAR

SEPTEMBER 27, 1965-JULY 1, 1966 NBC

SPRINGVALE

Grace Allison...Phyllis Hill GH, 3STH

Joe Bernie...Norman Burton Wonder Woman

Eve__ Blake...Floy Dean DOOL, TYM

Dr. Tim Blake...William Arvin

Temp....  Paul Carr

Anne Burton...Olive Dunbar    9/65-

Ken Davis....Edmund Gilbert               66     GH DAL

"Uncle" Ed Elliott...Ed Prentiss various

Jan Elliott...Adrienne Ellis

Katy Elliott...Shary Marshall

...Elizabeth Perry

"Aunt" Millie Elliott...Sheila Bromley

Mike Halloran...Ted DiCorda

Dana Manning...Betsy Jones Moreland

Eric Manning...Ronald Jackson

Stan Manning...John Dehner BE

...John Stephenson

Joan Mitchell...Betty Lou Gerson

Liz Mitchell...Nina Roman

Bill Riley...Edward Mallory DOOL

Gregory Ross...Burt Douglas DOOL

Marcus Stein...Michael Fox B&B, GH    FC, DAL

Hank Stover...Warren Kemmerling     DALLAS

Jerry...Michael Bell                Dallas       10/65

Truck Driver...Al Ward        12/29/65          

Man...Vic Tayback... Alice

??????....Helen Kleeb    5/66

????...Barry Russo        YM      

??????    Russell Thorson     5/66              PP, DOOL OMF and others

???????????....Sally Winn     7/66

?????????????....Meg Wyllie    2/66    DOOL, GH (at least 4 characters)

Ed Mallory had a week when he was taping on both Morningstar and DOOL. Whether those scenes aired the same week I don't know.

When the show was facing the ax, Ted Corday has a scene taped whereby Mallory's charcter Bill was defending the actions of Norman Burton's character Joe. He faced the camera and asked the audience directly something along the lines of 'Do you believe Joe deserves a second chance? If so write to NBC and gave an address. Thousands of letters poured in which Ted Corday hoped would show the execs that the show had a following.It didn't work...