Morning Star

• Members

So Katy and Bill are still around.

This episode worked a bit better for me. While I didn't like the musical cue, I thought the opening with the Carousel Building was an effective shot and more than we would get today in a world where the camera doesn't seem to move much.

Edward Mallory was a bit over the top in some of those scenes and the actress playing Katy appears very mature for the young ingénue role.

The Katy/Bill scenes do seem to clear up the very messy first episode we see. The show was definitely leading the audience into a mystery regarding whether it was Grace or Stan who was poisoning Dana. I guess the back and forth in that episode was intended to be suspenseful.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't catch that last part. Thanks. 

I liked the scenes in the chambers. The other scenes were decent too but everyone seemed to be on uppers. 

The skyline looks a bit more like something from the '50s but I guess they didn't have a budget. 

• Members

Was only on for the one season, it tied for 13th with Dark Shadows and Paradise Bay (according to Wiki, at least)

• 13. Morning Star 4.1 (Debut/Final Season: September 27, 1965 to July 1, 1966)

Usually those ones we see in our threads only go to the Top 10, and I doubt this show ever got high enough ratings to rank above 10, so...

Edited by beebs

• Members

What a great article about the show and its music. As a coda to the last sentence, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" is the most played song in the history of radio!!

Cynthia Weil co-wrote another song, this time with Michael Masser and Tom Snow, that would serve as a love theme for a popular soap couple. In 1984, their "If Ever Your In My Arms Again" (sung by Peabo Bryson) became Kelly and Joe's song on the brand-new NBC soap Santa Barbara. The song was #1 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary Chart the day SB debuted.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Ed Mallory had a week when he was taping on both Morningstar and DOOL. Whether those scenes aired the same week I don't know.

When the show was facing the ax, Ted Corday has a scene taped whereby Mallory's charcter Bill was defending the actions of Norman Burton's character Joe. He faced the camera and asked the audience directly something along the lines of 'Do you believe Joe deserves a second chance? If so write to NBC and gave an address. Thousands of letters poured in which Ted Corday hoped would show the execs that the show had a following.It didn't work...

• 6 months later...
  • Members

NBC press release

Stars of 'Morning Star' -- Elizabeth Perry plays the role of Katy Elliot, a young girl seeking her career in New York City, and Edward Mallory is seen as Bill Riley, a free-lance photographer, in "Morning Star," NBC-TV's new daytime color serial drama. 

1965-press-photo-actors-elizabeth_1_1e91

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Scrolling through some old Australian TV listings from 1966 and there is Morning Star.

I have read that Young Dr Malone screened on Aussie TV in the early 60's but apart so Morning Star becomes the second US daytime soap to get a run in Australia.

I wonder if the entire series was shown and if the tapes were wiped?

HSV7 Melbourne Wed June 8 1966
12.23 First Edition News
12.30 Lunch Time Movie “Is Your Honeymoon Really Necessary?” (A)
1.55 Talking Programs
2.00 Morning Star (A)
2.30 People in Conflict
3.00 Time for Terry

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Carolyn Weston, who wrote for Morning Star later authored a series (3) of books that formed the basis for 'The Streets of San Francisco' so I imagine she made a bit of money out of that.

A TV Guide article from 65 says she had a 7 yr contract to write the show. Later she wrote for Days.

The article says she was a struggling novelist when she took on the show but no details of how she got the gig.

Her co writer was another novelist Jan Huckins .She and Weston wrote the novel "Face of My Assassin' in 1959. Huckins had written for Irna Phillips on radio.