Days Of Our Lives Renewed

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I figured it would be with the writer switch. But the show will never be out of the woods. I know many will celebrate but I'm not. We'll be in the same position next year. A two year renewal would have me a little more reassured and more celebratory. Congrats to my show though, but a year from now we'll be in the same boat.

• Members

This soap has more lives than a.....

Please register in order to view this content

Worst stories ever and bottom of the barrel ratings.

Added Corday: “It’s a great day in Salem… We are grateful to our incredible network and longstanding partner Sony for their continued support, and we look forward to what the future will bring under the new creative direction of the show. I’m especially proud to be able to shepherd Days into the new season, continuing my parents dream and the show’s legacy.”

He ended their legacy long time ago and stomped all over it.

• Members

Congrats to DAYS, the cast and crew, if nothing else than for staying employed for another year. Corday has fought for his team's survival since its first real threat of cancellation in 2003. 

I'm looking forward to Ron Carlivati's DAYS. Yes, he has a shelf life with coming up with creative ideas, but DAYS has a limited shelf life too, so perhaps they'll coincide. It's better than picking from their usual pile of former headwriters. Clearly, they knew everything wasn't a done deal and the higher ups needed hope of a better product. We'll see what we have come July (well, according to Corday, it won't *fully* be Carlivati's work until September. Oy, this taping schedule...) 

• Members

Dena and Ryan actually helped to get the show renewed. They should be acknowledged.  Yes, Dena should never work in soaps again (and we have five more months of her work to sit through or not), but she cleaned up a lot of Griffith's devastation, used the vets more (Victor, Julie), brought on Val (and delved into some history).  Reduced Vivian Giovanni to monthly visits with not a lot of dialogue (and they fired her, AAA++ rating for that).  The biggest issue with the show is the budget. Ron may want to write (and be capable of writing) fierce stories but without a budget the show will never rise again.  As an example, even though the Chloe baby plot is dumb, they could have milked it with a trial and lots of extras etc if they had funds.  What they did in two days was an embarrassment.  Same with Chad/Abby getting kidnapped and getting naked.  LOL. I think they used the same set that Ashley Abbot has her scenes with Ravi on YR...gray closets are so cheap to build.

Carlivati (if he can) should stick to domestic, emotional drama with performers who can act!  

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't say "fought" ... sorry but I don't think he's as invested or as involved as some think, for better OR worse. He's a figurehead and that's it. They are VERY VERY VERY lucky to be getting these renewals. They've taken several for granted but this time they NEED to work for it. People know my stance on Ron, I was CHEERING when he was fired from GH but I think DAYS is more up his alley. I think he will do well for a while, and hopefully ensure another renewal next year but it's just hard to get excited anymore. I'm happy for the cast and the crew, they work their asses off. I love the show so I'm glad it's surviving but the one year renewal, with the bad taping schedule ... it just leaves me mixed. We'll be once again in this boat next year, praying, hoping and wondering. I just see these as stays of execution.

• Members

This is awesome news and it has to do with Ron Carlivati being named head wtiter. Lets remember Ron came to GH really in 2012 to wrap up and he brought ratings gains. I read Ken Corday interview i think he was forced to fire Dena from NBC and Greg Meng. This is great news.

• Members

I figured it would be renewed because NBC needs to have something other than talk and six hours of TODAY. I wonder what the streaming numbers for DAYS look like. Same day ratings, which is the way Daytime is measured, unlike Primetime, continue to matter less and less. If the streaming numbers are solid, NBC will keep it because it drives traffic to NBC's site daily. 

• Members

I do wonder what it's streaming numbers are. I know it's not available on demand from Xfinity, which is a shame.

Jeff Zucker or some other moron at NBC all but said it was dead ten years ago and look where we are ...

The show is the pits right now but I don't understand WANTING these things cancelled. These shows employ hundreds of people. I'm happy for them.

• Members

Technical question: Isn't Days of our Lives already in the middle of its 52nd season? Isn't this renewal really for its 53rd season?

In any case, this is great news. I hope this show manages to last for many more years to come.

Archived