Y&R Debuts New Opening Credits

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOVE most of it! The diamonds falling in the background of Nikki's shot, the champagne glasses clinking in the background of Ashley's shot (ironic since the bish can't get a love interest), it's giving me LIFE. I like the paint stroke effects and the background shots related to the character posing. My only criticism is the very generic font used throughout and the fact the "The Young and the Restless" text is so high up for the title card instead of being centred on the screen, And the reuse of the headless woman, if that was a motif they wanted to keep they could have easily reshot with one of their countless female starlets rather than use a shot of Michelle Stafford from over a decade ago.

• Members

I don't understand why Mal has turned up the harsh white light. This show is about glamour and wrinkle/bag free.  The close ups of all the actors (except Eileen) are terrible.  They all look like they drank and smoked pot all night before the shoot.  Give us some filters.  I've complained about the lighting for a few months.  It's antithetical to the fictional Bell/Genoa City world.  Everything was glitzy, sparkly, soft, moody, wood paneled, Wisconsin and grand mansion style.  I hate the Santa Barbara/Sunset Beach look and feel the show has taken.  

• Members

The transitions between the actors is not well done. They're too quick, there's no fluidity. 

The lighting (and I noticed this when these shots were just used during the interstitials) sucks. Makes everyone over 40 (and Melissa Ordway) look run down.

And Mishael Morgan's section is obviously a video that's been reversed. Bad, bad work.

Other than that I liked the very beginning and it's not the old opening which is something.

As much as people hate this opening there's no question that real conscious effort was put into it. It came out in 1999 but looks like something from 1990 but at least they tried.

• Members

@RavenWhitney Speaking of lighting, to me, it seems like the exterior shots look better than the interior shots now, on the show, I mean.

Remember when the exteriors used to look like really bad CGI?  The scenes with Sharon in her car or Devon being transported to the emergency room have better lighting than most interior scenes now.

• Members

Darn, you always take the words out of my mouth!

The new opening is so bland. The editing is really bad. Don't get me started on the lighting. It looks like it belongs to a Crystal Chappell web soap!

I floved the late 90s 'p0rn red' opening credits. 

Does this mean Melissa Ordway is here to stay?...

• Members

I like it more than their last opening. The only thing that gets me is, as others have said, it feels very web-soap. It also feels like something fan-edited. And given that MTS has actually aged pretty well, they make her look ancient, like a First Lady from 1953. 

• Members

I still like the sax/red/p*rn opening. How hilarious to see CG there as a child - I forgot she 'made' it on the opening credits.

I like the new credits in that they've added more actors to the opening - nine, compared to previous version, which usually had six. Plus, all the actors look good - a welcome change. Now, let's work on those stories.... 

Archived