How much time do we give Sally Sussman before we ask for her firing?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep. That is my worry for Days. Sheri Anderson is the consultant there now.....but will she be listened to? Sally loves Gloria for some unGodly reason. I can't stand her at all. and Judith didn't act like this when she was on days years ago....I wonder when she went to the Drake Hogestyn/Ronn Moss University of Furniture Chewing Overacting?

• Members

I actually thought Dena has done a better job at DAYS then Sally at YR. At least there is excitement and actual stories. I actually havent minded Dena this days go around. Josh Griffith killed days with his dull writing. A much better job then Sally has been at YR. There are no storylines at all. Its just talky dull scenes. 

• Members

Sally has been fine. She just needs to higher the stakes with these storylines. I don't envy her position. She needs to drop Chick and Villy completely, show less Gloria and finally mix up some of these couples. She also needs to infuse more drama into the storylines. 

• Administrator

I'm on the side that thinks the show has improved.  We're getting real character driven scenes now and not just plot, plot, plot, action, action, action.  I also see SSM slowly moving chess pieces around, getting the characters to where need to to be before she starts doing anything "huge" or "dramatic."    @YRBB, "First you have to fix the characters." - perfectly said.  Once you do that, the drama will be so much better, more fulfilling that some stupid hotel fire or building collapse. 

• Members

To be honest, expecting a show badly damaged for over a decade to be fixed in two months is impossible to ask.

Someonr previously said that writers dont have six months to fix things...that people expect quick solutions....so I think the modern viewer needs to accept part of the blame for the dismal state of soaps.  They arent as patient as they once were..and theyd rather have exciting events as opposed to character moments.

If one looks at GH diring the Ice Princess story...yes, it was far fetched.  Yet, you had a love story, excitement, and it was a unqiue umbrella story since it affected the whole town...and GH was a gathering place for shelter and medical needs.  It was a good melding of the old and new GH since all characters were featured.

Same with Marlena's possession...bought the whole town together...and that event propelled Sami into the dark side because Sami was conflicted over her thoughts of breaking Austin/Carrie up...and went to her mother for advice...possessed Marlena encouraged her to go for it....plus...possessed Marlena restarted the love story of john and marlena...and the start of Kristen's descent into becoming a villianess.

Right now, Sussman has reestablished character...and laying the groundwork for her plots.  Maybe a fire or explosion could work...but only if it advances the story and leaves long term fallout.  Which the previus regime failed to do.....all plot, no long term fallout...

• Members

Well SSM is definitely operating in a different era and while I applaud her for trying to fix terrible damage done to long-running and beloved characters, it's still a business of getting viewers. Right now, there is nothing 'urgent' happening on the show and a key part of daytime viewing is frequency. For example if viewers who normally watch 4 days, cuts down to 3 - that's a 25% drop.  I'll keep reading day-ahead write-up and decide if worth watching, but there's nothing compelling to tune in. There's just too many other scripted shows out there that I'd choose to DVR or stream. I really hope these 'character studies' will pay off because I want her to succeed. I just don't know if CBS (and POP, which has seen a drop since the regime switch) will have that kind of patience. 

• Members

I agree with all of this.

I did a facepalm when I saw this thread. I mean, seriously??? After two months??? I cannot believe that people are so conditioned and in need of IMMEDIATE satisfaction and results. That says so much about us, and it's not good.

Complain about the show if you want. But if you're asking for a firing after two months, I have no idea what kind of show you want. I have no idea  how you think another writing change will improve the show in any way, because it would set the entire show in turmoil. It would be absolute insanity.

I am happy to see so many board members coming to Sally's and the show's defense, from high praise to qualified praise. When a lot of comments come in that are negative, it's good to hear "Wait a minute...let's remember that the show is so much better than it was" from others. I'm happy with Y&R these days, and I'm willing to roll with wherever Sally takes us.

Archived