How much time do we give Sally Sussman before we ask for her firing?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't put my finger on it, but last week was totally KA's style. I'll give you a few examples:

- Lily writing down 'Three bottles??" to Cane during the 'trial' was a nice touch that I would have never expected from the regime's first few months with SSM at the helm.

- Stories seem to have a direction (that was not the case in the first half of the year).

- Look how they have touched on small story beats almost obsessively: we've spent one week talking about Dina not wanting to move into the Abbott house; characters have stated repeatedly how Scott pretended to have driven all the way to the Newman ranch to see Victor, while he was actually at Sharon's. That type of almost obsessive focus on a story beat was classic Y&R. Even Victor forcing Nikki into a concert is classic Y&R, or at least the way it's being plotted is classic.

I'll let you know if more examples come to mind.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I do think that Kay Alden has brought something to the table and helped make Y&R more classic Y&R.

SSM deserves most of the credit, however. She is the Head Writer, and she's the one who deserves the lion's share of the praise for turning this show around. 

This is tendency to give everyone credit but Sally is ridiculous.

• Members

They always say to give it six months and six months in the show is great IMO. Still has some issues, but overall I'm enjoying each episode and each week. I think the show is really coming together. It takes time not only to refamiliarize yourself with the show, but move around the canvas and get your new characters going, plus some things aren't going to work so it's trial and error. I think they've figured out how to make it work and I hope it continues to be watchable.

• Members

Definitely! The angle where the main character is facing the camera, while the other character stands behind looking at their skull lol, is classic Y&R and it is a shot borrowed straight from Classic Hollywood (much like old-school Y&R was). I flove it.

Archived