How much time do we give Sally Sussman before we ask for her firing?

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I totally agree with you John.

I am an old timer who grew up on P&G and CBS soaps.

Irna Phillips, the Soderbergs and Henry Slesar.

What did Agnes Nixon say "Make em laugh,make em cry and make em wait? (Paraphrased)

They did not let stunts and outrageous plots drive their stories.

Y&R has had  Latham, Maria Bell, Phelps, Rauch and Griifith steer this show in the wrong direction.

Hacks like Latham ,Hamner, Sheffer, Pratt, Altman, Griffith and especially the show killer Piss~Ant  herself do damage to this show.

It is going to take more than 2 or 3 months to fix this show.

I would give her 18 to 24 months. Then,if the quality and less importantly ratings haven't improved  - then think about a change!

• Members

Bob Guza: no, just no. His style of soap writing is like Pratt's: plot at the expense of character. He wouldn't "get" Y&R anymore than Pratt or JFP did. Lorraine Broderick has a mixed rep as a head writer. Her work at AMC at various points was her high point. She seems more suited to breakdown writing. 

• Members

I think it is still moving too fast...but I honestly dont think it can move as slow as it once did during the bell era.  People are impatient and want instant gratification.  If they arent getting it, they move onto something else.

Ive often thought that 5 days a week is too much.  I think an hour episode once or twice a week 52 weeks a year would work...just so long as the budget isnt slashed...so that the extra money from less episodes could be applied to sets, writing and paying actors a higher guarantee.  

• Members

See, today was a nice episode and (so far this week at least) they are shuffling the stories day to day.  We'll see what happens.

I've noticed more use of music cues lately.

I'm glad that Jill didn't auto-forgive Colin. Can he leave now?  And I like Hilary going out with Jordan.  MM looked absolutely stunning today 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

To be fair, the bulk of the audience erosion happened under Pratt's watch. And we know how difficult it is get viewers back even under the best of circumstances.

I've been critical of Sally, but I'm not a proponent of getting rid of her just yet, especially considering the alternatives (Higley). I just realize how trigger-happy execs can be when there are multiple weeks of ratings declines. 

• Members

You know what stinks to high heaven? Pratt's new show STAR. It's not fit to eat EMPIRE's dust. I bailed after 5 episodes because it sucks. That's Pratt.

The biggest reason you dump on Sally is because you love GH and almost everyone hear thinks it's a disaster. Your revenge is to dump on YR with the same comments over and over about Pratt and JFP. 

It's like you're the worst plot ever on a cancelled soap opera.

• Members

I don't care how many time the revolving doors of writers happens. Half of the problem is the writing but the other half are people who are portraying the characters. Either we don't like the characters or the people who plays the characters. 

• Members

I dont think Kay Alden wants to be head writer and i am sorry if she us working with Sally she gets the blame. JFP is sitting somewhere having a martini and laughing. Her ratings were stellar. Jill passed on Sally in 2014 we know see why.

Archived