Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My problem with Gloria in the Jabot/Fenmore's story is that is that role should be played by an ingenue. Not Gloria. 

But since Y&R's younger actresses are either busy or bad actors other characters involved in the story are forced to act OOC to facilitate the plot while Judith Chapman chews scenery.

• Members

I'm with you for the most part.  

Every story, serial or not, needs an antagonist.  In this case, it's Gloria.  Am I a JC fanboy?  Not even close.  But the character is bringing needed drama and dimension to the stories.  If she wasn't there, what would the Jabot/Fenmore story look like?  People are complaining of being bored now, what if there wasn't anyone stirring the pot?!?

ICAM about Colin.  I've never liked the character, and wouldn't be sorry one bit if he was gone.  I do like Ravi though ;-)

I feel you.  I've really enjoyed the dialogue, small interactions and dimension the characters have been given.  They have been building character motivations and through lines very nicely.  It has been worth watching.

JC/Gloria has certainly not taken over.  She's not on 5x/week like she was under LML.  

I will take this Y&R over any version from the previous 3 regimes hands down. 

• Members

I've always liked Gloria. Falsely accusing Jack of sexual harassment is right up her alley. I don't mind too much because it's being played for camp. If this were a serious story I'd be rooting against her. I do wonder if the objective is to bring Jack and Hillary back into each others orbits. No necessarily romantic, but just as a reason to interact.

I like Ravi and I could see why Ashley would like him. I'm not talking marriage, but I can see why she would find the attentions of a cute, smart, younger guy flattering. I'd certainly choose Ravi over Stitch any day.

• Members

I like everything you said, but the bold text in particular.  

Sorry if this is TMI, but I can attest from personal experience that having a younger cute guy give you vibes is a big ego booster.  That is all.  haha

• Members

I agree with you. And from other posts, I think the show is loads better. I watch every day for the most part and enjoy the interactions. It feels like Y&R again. Lots of character issues were/are being taken care of. Talking's great. I love Y&R for that reason, but things have to happen. Like Gloria with Jack. SOMETHING HAPPENED. FINALLY.

I disagree on JC/Gloria though. She HAS basically taken over the show (sort of, but not totally). I don't mind any of what's been going on in theory but I cringe and roll my eyes the second this woman is on my screen. So somewhere, it's become overkill in a VERY short period of time. That doesn't make it bad, though. I don't hate JC. I think she's REALLY overdoing it, like unbelievably so where you want to burst out laughing as her eyes bug out as she threatens Jack (and he set himself up to be put in this position by her), but the story just feels so swallowed by Gloria IMO. Yes we need antagonists and Gloria, from a writing perspective, makes the most sense and I'd probably have a ball writing it, but it's not working for me as it airs onscreen. IDK. This last week she was on 4 out of 5 episodes. The week before, twice. So it's not awful (yes I have kept track!) but for some reason I feel like she's on waaaay too much and this story became about her.

The REAL problem with Gloria is that she was overused for so long. I had no problems with her coming back and popping in here and there but I never thought the Lauren story would become about her. So now it seems like it's more of the same. That's why people are complaining. That and JC REALLY chews that scenery and makes me cringe at times. But I love how committed she is and that she wants to work so I put up with it ... I'd rather she actually be camping it up over on DAYS instead.

I shouldn't notice whether anyone is on too much or too little. JMO. Balance HAS improved though.

And again agreed on Ravi/Ashley.

I don't like Colin either. I'd rather GH waste his talents. Is JW the reason they keep bringing him back? I love Tristan Rogers but Colin's a nothing of a character. I thought this story bringing him back would be so we could get rid of him?

• Members

Y&R as a whole has improved but it's still not good. Largely because it's gone from a show almost solely dependent upon sweeps based plot stunts to a show with slight potential that happily sacrifices character growth for superficial moments.

I love Ravi. I like Ashley. I'm fine with Ashley having fun relationship after a horrible decade of disasters. But I don't like them together.

Ashley needs a Ji Min Kim relationship instead of a Ravi (who would be great for a relationship if Y&R had any viable younger leads other than Hilary & Mariah)

Also Y&R insisting on forcing ED act like an irrational teenager instead of a mature woman (which is the same problem I have with Victoria) doesn't help. I don't have a problem with the characters having character based issues & conflicts but when they're reduced to idiots to facilitate the plot it's a problem.

I've always liked TR but way too much damage has been done to Colin for me to enjoy him. Plus he's tied to Cane with is even worse.

• Members

Agreed on all of this. Especially the bold.

I think how I look at Ashley/Ravi, I'm not looking at them as if this is her last pairing for the duration of the show. Characters should date, have fun, etc. This could be that for her. With you mentioning Ji Min (I loved Eric Steinberg and I wish this character were still on the show) I see what you mean between Ravi/Ji Min in terms of pairing them with Ashley but I see Ravi as a fun, fling type relationship. Ji Min would be her end game husband. Both are good options, IMO. But I think you're looking at it from the perspective of it's time the show find a lasting love interest for Ashley. I love Ravi and don't think I'd mind Ravi/Ashley together but looooong term? Like years from now? I can't see that. But I like what's going on with them now.

Agreed about making the actresses play ingenues. That's a huge problem. Realistically and longer-term, Mariah, Abby, Summer, etc. would be much better options for Ravi. So I get why some are confused why he's not more with them and with Ashley but I think we all know why. I think that's why some are having such a hard time seeing Ravi and Ashley together.

They should be pursuing a Ravi/Abby/Mariah triangle. I liked the interactions they had at the New Years gala.

• Members

I feel like Abby can't carry a couple. The only person she's come close to sparking with is Devon.  Not that I think that would work, but Bryton helped MO show some signs of life when I thought her casting was utterly hopeless.  I do think it's a bit of a shame that there isn't anyone on the show I can see working with Ravi long term.  Maybe there will be a surprise once he interacts with more people.

• Members

Ravi and Ashley's longevity or lack thereof doesn't concern me because Sussman already indicated from the jump that it was not an endgame pairing for Ashley; it's something else, which is a bold choice to both do and publicly telegraph in this day and age on a daytime soap. Whether or not I agree with it remains to be seen, but I do like them together.

Archived