Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been reading and catching some parts of the show when it's on POP. It's so incredibly uneven - even within episodes. Some good: Sharon taking the fall for Dylan's leaving; Jill's firestorm over the sale; Hilary being Hilary; Lily modeling; characters being far more grounded; but mostly bad: Ashley/Ravi is creepy; Villy is unwatchable; Glo/Jack vomit inducing and not believable at all considering the history; Colin planning to whisk Jill away during the middle of deal to steal her money and Jill being dumb enough to go away with him - what?? 

I realize the one thing about the writing and storytelling - I don't feel like I HAVE to watch. I've even tuned in 30 minutes in twice recently and didn't feel like I'd be missing anything. And I really didn't. 

Im still on sidelines, but I want to be optimistic that things will improve. It's hard to believe JC has only been back for six weeks and somehow became the catalyst for the show. 

• Members

Sorry, but I'm not following. You have a laundry list of complaints, yet then say you're still on the sidelines....that you tuned in twice recently for 30 minutes. Huh?

There's a lot of good character development going on, with a lot of good dialogue. Characters are being tied to other stories. You're pretty much missing most of it.

Someone said Ashley and Ravi are creepy.  Why, because he's so much younger than she is. If that's the reason, just stop already. We've had older men with much younger women on this show for years. The Ashley/Ravi relationship, whatever it is, has been built slowly and very nicely. Their conversation on Friday was mature and genuine and well-acted....great writing.

if Judith Chapman is too much for you, fine, but spare us the hyperbole: she's not the "catalyst" for the show, and she's not overtaking it.  

Honestly, I really don't know what some of you want to see on YR. 

• Members

Ok. Think I'll have to send a tweet to mal Young and just politely ask him "Mal, brother, friend....GET GLORIA THE [!@#$%^&*] OFF THIS SHOW!!! WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA IS IT FOR THIS WOMAN WHO SEASON EVERY PIECE OF FURNITURE IN A ROOM BEFORE CHEWING ON IT TO STILL!!!! DO WHATEVER EVIL [!@#$%^&*] SHE WANTS AND GET AWAY WITH IT?!" Later this afternoon, before the SB, my spokeswoman will issue a statement on how I really feel. 

• Members

Colin could have been a good character and match for Jill. But the clowning hijinks killed him. And I'm not sorry. Despite JWs wishes, it's time for TR to exit Y&R

I don't like Ravi much. Nor do I want him with Ashley. It's not age. It's just I fail to see why she'd want him. 

• Members

My point is that character development is good and necessary after the past two regimes, but that doesn't get viewers excited to tune in. Don't get me wrong, I think JC is amazing actress and definitely gives a full-on performance - it's just bizarre that she came out of nowhere and thrust into a lot of scenes. It also bothers me that the motivation makes zero sense and is a repeat of the face cream story - sabotaging her family's business for her gain. 

I'm on the sidelines in that I'm reading the day-ahead summaries and then choosing to tune in to episodes if they happen to be on. I really want the show to be good but there is a steep hill since they were left with almost no stories and characters that were maligned. The Fenmores story was both topical and brought together a lot of favorite characters, but the execution has been uneven and Gloria's role too important. There's plenty there with Lauren, Michael, Jill, Jack, Ashley, Phyllis. I'd have even like Victor/Abby to scheme to make a play in order to create a platform for B&S (in order to get it back to Newman). 

• Members

I guess I am in a minority here. I am liking Sally's version of Y&R.

No more disasters of the month/week because the viewers attention spans are so short they are needed to keep them hook.

Stories are being fleshed out and the beats are being played.

Victor Newman is being toned down. No longer is Snidely Whiplash Newman tying Sweet Polly Jack Abbot to the proverbial train track while twirling his moustasche.

Gloria adds a little excitement to the show . She is fun! As a long time World Turns fan I remember Liz Hubbard (Lucinda) and Eileen Fulton (Lisa) who could chew scenery better than anyone.

Colleen Zenk (Barbara) could outact  Judith Chapman with "those eyes" too.

Sally has made a few mistakes but her material has only been airing for just TWO months. I am willing to give her a little more time before I throw her under the bus.

Archived