Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember nearly ten years ago (how sad...) when they had a photo shoot boxing match between Cane and Chompers, to try to show us their rivalry, and get us all hot and horny. It was so cheaply done (typical MAB), but what I remember most is how shockingly flabby Billy Miller was. And this was the man that we were supposed to see as the hottest piece of ass in all of Genoa City. I remember thinking, "They would never give a woman such a pass." And they never have. They never will.

• Members

Attractiveness is so subjective though. For example, beefy guys are attractive to a lot of people, not to me. Which makes my opinion about them somewhat pointless.

Sure, curvy women have never appeared in a bikini on a soap. But we should promote a culture that encourages them or TPTB to do so, one day. That's my two pennies. I enjoy you guys' conversations on the show and I think this is the best soap board on the net.

• Members

Most of those time periods with Traci were mostly when they wanted to focus on her great weight loss, from what I remember. 

I never really saw MTS in a bikini but that was probably before I began watching, or I've just forgotten it. 

• Members

Exactly. Criticizing DG for his body is on the same level as criticizing BM or MTS for their curves IMHO. We should know better than that.

I think Greg referred to the "or in any major role fully clothed" part. I would add Nina to that combo.

• Members

Are we really going to try to pretend that sex has never been a selling point on this show??

Although Nikki was not seen strutting in a bikini, it was her shaking her moneymaker at the Bayou that hooked Victor! Now we can debate what led Nikki to the stripper pole but even in her later years, Nikki has always been shown to embrace those years, regretting nothing and even looking back on those times fondly.

A conversation about all of this and no one has mentioned Brad Carlton or his pecs?  What about Malcolm Winters and his abs?  

Perhaps because Y&R always made a distinct effort to appeal to its core audience of mainly women, it has often made a point to parade and display many of the male characters that have appeared on this show, while others (Jack, Victor) just were not - even during the illustrious William J. Bell years, this was part of Y&R's DNA.

Now we can discuss whether this is an antiquated holdover from a previous period but are we really going to try to re-write history here and make Y&R into something it has never been?

• Members

No kidding! Fans rip apart every aspect of women's bodies and faces and so do TPTB. Maybe that shouldn't happen, but the reality is it does.

ETA: When the show puts these guys on shirtless it's done to be sexy, so that's going to invite a critique.  MTS was well into her 50's and people were ripping her gaining weight when the show was never even trying to sexualize her, so I'd call that unfair. I remember someone actually saying that Nikki was "diminished" but by overweight.

Please register in order to view this content

People are entitled to their opinion, but I'm just saying women who are past the role of being sex objects on the show aren't even given a pass.

• Members

I don't see how women getting this awful treatment for decades can justify you giving the same treatment to men. It should not happen to either men or women.

It's true that men on soaps get shirtless in a sexualized, objectifying way, which is cool. Attractiveness is subjective though, so you criticizing certain men because you don't find them attractive is somehow irrelevant and uncalled for IMHO.

I do remember Brad's abs, and I loved him. He was ripped and I say good for him. I also remember Billy and Cane's goofy boxing match shooting, and I thought they were hot too.

• Members

Like I said in an earlier post, I thought the GC Buzz segments were fun-mainly for watching Hillary trying to make everyone squirm, except I honestly could've done without the shirtless part.

When Y&R stole my idea for reviving a brand (I suggested that Jill revive her Men's line like last year

Please register in order to view this content

in that Y&R survey), I suggested they use an actual male model.

They decided to use Lily- fine, cool but why are they now resorting to using a photographer and an executive to try to hustle B&S' new Men's Line??

Sorry, I was not impressed with that, although I admit, I did chuckle when Mariah said she voted for #Jordan for best body.

You know me, I cannot get enough of critiquing even the minor points of a storyline but gosh, let your spokesmodel do their job.

Sally, this is not the storyline I advised Y&R to write last year.

• Members

Well, I guess this board is properly chastised. However, I'd like to see some of that vigorous defense when said board also goes on tangents about AH's hair, body, teeth, etc. 

I'm wondering if this story won't take a turn towards Jordan being a male model for the line with lily becoming an exec. The actor seems chosen mostly for his body. It surely wasn't his acting. 

• Members

Hey, initially Shemar Moore wasn't chosen for his acting either but he remained the resident photographer in GC.

I had actually suggested Mason as a spokesmodel(when he was still on the show). Had it been Jill's Men's line with Hillary at CI, it could've been a sticking point between Jill and Hillary, having Hillary's ex-lover and co-conspirator working for Jill/CI. 

What SS is doing with B&S looks like something completely diffferent.

They should stick with Jordan as photographer.

Archived