Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

CBS News is choosing to pre-empt - it's not dictated by WH. Plus, they know ratings for 45 (and Sean Spicer's daily briefings) are ratings gold. Y&R isn't close to being 'can't miss TV.'  I'm saying this as I'm being 'forced' to watch on Pop while visiting my mom. So Jill lost 'all' her money but didn't she just get a check from Victoria? Yes, she wanted to buy the 49%, but it's not like she's broke. 

Ester is still the best. Kate Linder's still got it. And she and JW had always had such amazing banter. 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually think JW did well with her hospital scenes on today's episode (I missed yesterday's episode, is it worth watching?). She expressed denial, fear, defiance and vulnerability well and Esther and Billy did their part too. 

Like others have expressed, the build-up to this point seems to be M.I.A. Even Jill's acid reflux...had we ever seen signs of this before? It would've have been just as much of a surprise if we saw her occasionally pop an antacid for heartburn and think nothing of it until we see her having a heart attack but I guess we would've had to see Jill more often for that to happen.

Am I the only one who sees more easy chemistry between Noah and Chelsea? JMO but kind of a missed opportunity. Nick and Chelsea scenes scream 'Filler'.  I don't mind a little filler, here and there in between really serious scenes to lighten the intensity occasionally (especially when you can squeeze in some backstory or character development moments) but it seems like filler is all we're getting with Nick and Chelsea. 

With the Victor, Nikki and Victoria scenes, they felt very 'utilitarian', for lack of a better word. Seems like there was exposition of things that 'needed' to be said (how Nikki felt Victor treated Victoria in contrast to his sons and Victor's defense of his views and actions) but when it came to Victoria's "tea" comment, I realized that the dialogue was there for her to show a bit more personality and sass but she let the line hang in the air and it fell flat as a result. I guess it's not always the writer's fault.

Was Lauren on yesterday's episode? What is even going on with Fenmore's?

• Members

Yes! Seriously, Chelsea/Noah would be far more interesting and impact on a lot of characters. This also be a good way to just ignore the whole Christian secret. Plus, Noah is just there - Hilary, Chloe and Chelsea are basically the only non-relatives left. Of course, there's always Gloria... 

• Members

This is exactly what began killing soaps - nail in the coffin.  OJ - started there.  NO ONE says....My GOD the President is ON. I need to TURN ON CBS!!!  Said no one ever.  People might want to see Spicey Baby, or Cheeto Baby, but they DON'T say - My GOD I need to turn on CBS to see this!  There's no news person covering it really - it's a press conference and it's on every damned channel and it all looks the SAME.  Because it's ALL the same....there's no TALENT that you're looking at.   CBS is choosing to pre-empt and so is every other network just like they did with OJ, and they're killing the shows that got them where they are.  When this mess isn't happening - and again - are their ratings going UP because they're pre-empting?  I doubt it.  Even if they are, that's not getting them their Ad Dollars/money year round. No soap has been not-miss TV for years now...but just because his Cheeto-ness hits the airwaves doesn't meant everyone is like..."MY GOD!  Y&R ISn'T ON!  TURN ON CBS STAT!" 

• Members

Agreed about Noah and Chelsea having more chemistry than Nick and Chelsea. I just feel like that would be TOO weird when it comes to Sharon and Chelseas relationship lol. First they screw the same men the Chelsea starts doing her son? Yikes. Still, I'd much rather that than Chelsea and Nick.. they are Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Members

Yeah, that's why I feel like Noah and Chelsea are a missed opportunity.

The writing is trying to 'make' Nick and Chelsea 'happen' but it feels so forced and contrived and now the focus seems to be mostly on the secret that Victor and Chelsea are keeping.

I know they're pushing it more these days to try to add intrigue and interest to any romantic possibilities but despite all this, the pairing still feels flat and dull.

These multiple pre-emptions seem especially unnecessary in this day and age when most people can go to a dedicated newschannel or online (cbs has an online news network) to see these news conferences.

I suspect that CBS will eventually tire of these impromptu rambling news conferences and just relegate them to their online site.

Archived