Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

I loved Ashley sticking it to Jack.  I agree with you all about Victoria.  AH makes Victoria dependable on men and lacks confidence.  This is totally not the daughter of Victor Newman.  Victoria was always going to be the next Victor, and Nick was going to be the Nikki.  I don't see AH running a business, let alone try and raise a family.  Of course, realistically a woman with that kind of money would have multiple nannies.  

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have to laugh because her stepford kids. It always looks so awkward. And little Johnny grinning through all of his lines. LOL. AH just comes off completely and totally uncomfortable. Everytime. In about everything she does. Victoria should be a cold bitch with this Brash and Sassy deal but AH plays it like Victoria should be feeling guilty. I noticed it when Reed called her Victor's daughter (lawd, she's far from it anymore). The defeated look. IDK. She's not working. I don't care how long she's been on the show, something needs to be said or done but it won't. If Morrow can get away with playing an aging fratboy for ten years, no one's going to blink at Heinle. The writing is definitely more how Victoria should be written but Heinle plays it so terribly.

• Members

This. I've felt the same.

Something about Victoria has always screamed powerful and important and Heather Tom played her as such, she had weight on the canvas, almost from the word go. Nick? Meh. Compelling? LOLLOLOLOL he'll never be that.

All of this.

LOVED Ashley giving it to Jack today. That's the relationship between them I want to see.

• Members

Ashley was awesome the last couple of days.  That scene with Gloria...Priceless, like she spoke for everyone watching.  Her conversations with Jack have been long overdue.  JM isn't my favorite, but I like his haircut, at least it complements him. His scenes with Chelsea are like Sominex. I liked the Victor/ Sharon scene as well.

AH ---never mind, already been said.

• Members

Agreed about Morrow and his haircut. I've never liked him with longer hair and always prefer the short hair so bonus points to him. I don't really hate him. I don't think he's a very strong actor. He should be after 20+ years .... but he can deliver when needed. He just doesn't put in much effort otherwise. I know soapsuds calls for his firing every five minutes but he's been there so long and is known as Nick that's just never going to happen. Unfortunately at this point we're stuck with Heinle too, unless by some miracle Heather Tom wanted the role back but she seems content playing the trash they give her on B&B. She gets a five minute storyline, an Emmy, and a paycheck. What more could she want? But I mean, Victoria would and always will be the more challenging role, no? I mean, I'm not saying if she snapped her fingers and wanted to be back on Y&R they'd dump Heinle for her, maybe 5 years ago, but I can't see that now. I wish. I'd cheer from the rooftops for daaaaaays if this happened but it's not

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Can't wait until tomorrow, when we'll get 20 more posts about how awful Amelia Heinle is and that she's not Victoria and that she's not Victor's daughter and that her hair is bad and that she's no Heather Tom and that HeTher Tom should come back even though she's been gone for over a decade.

i just can't wait.

• Members

And I just can't wait for your passive aggressiveness to come through in another post that doesn't do squat to move the conversation along. Sorry we aren't eating it all up. Sorry we try to have a discussion. Sheesh. Lighten up

Bacteria has been one of the worst things ever for both of these characters. Ugh

And much like I should ... you could just ignore it, post what you want and move on with your life?

• Members

Actually it wasn't over for Victoria (as a character) until Victoria's relationship with Diego ended.

After that happened Y&R promoted Nick & Sharon to the primary Newman position & slowly began pushing Victoria into the background (which is one of the main reasons HT decided to leave). 

Morrow has never been the strongest actor but he convincingly played an adult Nick for over a decade. It wasn't until Y&R wanted to push a certain horrible pairing that the writers immediately began devolving the character & writing the character to accommodate the actor's personality.

THANK YOU! A 40 year old man throwing a tantrum because he doesn't want to work for a woman?

And THEN Y&R tried equating his situation with JILL?

Jill who grew up poor and worked hard to earn respect & success is the exact same as a con artist who preys upon wealthy senior citizens & vulnerable divorcees? Whatever Y&R.

• Members

Just so I'm clear, are you saying Victoria's relationship with Diego ending was tied to her being set aside for Nick and Sharon? 

+1 on Cane. If the comparisons between Jill and Cane wwere that of social climbing gold diggers then it would have been more appropriate. I didn't go unnoticed that when they made connection between another woman, Hilary, and Jill, that's exactly what they did. That being said, is the show now giving Cane the story as the new social climbing gold digging Jill, instead of Hilary? 

And who can I expect him to marry up with? Abby? Ashley? Victoria? I say Abby. 

• Members

Yep. There were other factors involved (money & airtime) but after the Diego pairing abruptly ended HT's Victoria spent her last year backburnered as Y&R focused on cementing Nick & Sharon as the heir apparent couple to Victor & Nikki.

There are simply no comparisons between Cane & Jill.

Jill became rich due to marrying well but she constantly fought for her business success. She didn't expect her family and friends to make it her CEO. She got to the top the old fashioned way (through hard work & determination).

Cane is a rich sociopath who expects constant forgiveness for screwing over anyone (including his own family) that gets in his way.

If Cane is comparable to any Y&R character it's pre-Reliquary Brad.

Hilary isn't Jill. She's Nina.

A troubled young woman with a good heart who often makes life difficult for herself because she prioritizes taking the easy way out over doing the right thing.

The only difference is Hilary doesn't have a Cricket in her life.

• Members

I was much younger when Diego was on and watched the show much differently from the way I do now. But at the time, I never felt Diego was so important of a character that the show wanted to work so badly that they'd give up on actress due to her failure with him. Point being, I don't buy that Victoria being  pushed aside had anything to do with him at all. It was happenstance.  I felt it was more so about Nick being a male heir and the popularity of Sharon and Nick. The show felt they could carry the show and didn't need Victoria anymore. 

Well, if that's who you see Jill as then that's exactly who the show is currently portraying cane to be. He recieved his position by who he knew but he has been shown working very hard for his success at B&S . Obsessively so. 

As for Hilary, while I get your comparison to Nina, that description of a good hearted woman was never what the show has portrayed Hilary as. At least not pre-NYE.  Post NYE either since we sat and listened to Jack and Jill make those comparisons to Jill.  The show has told us for years that she's young Jill. Execution may be lacking though. Lol

• Members

As I recall (and I think this was discussed on SON back in the day), you are right that Greg Vaughan as Diego was not a factor in HT being pushed aside (other than the fact that Diego wasn't as popular a character as his brother Raul). My recollection (and I'm sure Deee will correct me where I'm wrong) was that Jack Smith had a major writer boner for Sharon Case, and Nick & Sharon as a couple. When contract time came, he wanted her to remain on the show at all costs, so a favourable deal was worked out, and after a short hiatus, she came back to the show and to the terminally boring Cameron Kristen SL. Heather Tom, meanwhile, was not considered as viable a romantic lead, which was the way Jack Smith/Y&R would have preferred writing her, I think. In renegotiations, Tom's pay and appearance guarantee was cut and as a result she walked and OLTL snapped her up.

But yeah, Sharon & Nick were popular and majorly promoted, and when Phyllis got involved in that pairing, yikes. The affair was an exciting story, but under LML especially, Phick ate the show whole.

• Members

While I wasn't privy to this BTS info, I felt the changes onscreen. Some of the dialogue about Victor preferring his son to run his company helped form my opinion about Nick being more important since he was male. As for popularity, I used to think that if it recieved massive airtime, it was popular. I've since come to realize that just because I'm unindated with a character or couple onscreen, does not mean that either are popular. It's probably just writer or EP preference. 

Archived