Y&R: February 2017 Discussion Thread

• Members

Have a nice day.

This made my morning!!! thank you so much for posting. Eric has such a great sense of humor. 

I haven't watched it yet but saw the week's preview, and also didn't know Nikki became nasty towards her. I feel that Nikki has not liked Sharon because 1. Sharon grew up in the same type of environment that Nikki feels she grew up in (minus Sharon's father, whereas Nikki's father molested her) and 2. because of Sharon's upbringing and other things, Nikki has never thought Sharon was good enough for either of her sons. Now Sharon has done her true dirt, but Nick did as well. I think her disorder gives the writers a permanent out whenever she does something crazy (is Sharon off her meds?) instead of the motivation being strictly dark and selfish. JMO though. 

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting viewpoint, Roman.  Thinking through it, it could even limit the character's growth.  Everyone has days or moments when they just aren't going to take sh!t from anyone, isn't that human nature?  That could have been the case with Sharon yesterday, but instead of chalking it up to that, the first thing we think is she's off her meds.  Given that, unless SS can come with a convincing story to undo it, and nothing has given me a reason to think she will, I'm ok with letting it be as long as we don't get Crazy Sharon.

Nikki didn't get down in the dirt until Sharon came for her.  Then it was on.

• Members

It has in past regimes. instead of writing for her character, they wrote her character around the story. My favorite writing has always been told from the characters themselves, and it makes it so much more interesting. JER had that SO BAD.....making plots much more important that characterization. when that has happened, IMPO, shows have suffered. I believe it's one of the reasons why we only have 4 daytime dramas in the USA. I remember EastEnders when it first started...they always told their stories through their characters. My hope is that SSM and KA along with MY leading the way will have it there by summer. 

• Members

Nikki made her peace with Sharon 15 years ago but Y&R's writers keep insisting the two fight because they refuse to acknowledge the tremendous growth of their relationship.

It's the same way Y&R loves to act like Lauren had no life prior to marrying Michael or turning Jack, Danny & Paul into deadbeat dads regardless of what has transpired onscreen.

• Members

and I also know they made their peace.....but off and on for the last 10 years, the writers have thrown that out the window. and what some don't seem to understand is this IMO.....if a daytime drama has been pretty bad for over a decade, 2 months is nowhere near enough time to fix everything. these characters have to be rebuilt in some cases....with Sharon being one of them.

Victor sold B&S to Billy just to screw Victoria for testifying against him in his trial. 

• Members

I don't think a lot of fans have a problem with characters being rebuilt. I think they have a problem with the writers pushing existing formulas which no longer work because previous regimes ruined the characters involved.

In this particular exchange I actually sided with Sharon. She was taking responsibility for her behavior as a mother and as a wife & everyone in her inner circle were so busy worrying about how she was gonna handle Dylan leaving they weren't allowing her room to process his departure. Nikki used Sharon's illness as a convenient excuse to bash Sharon even though Sharon wasn't really acting irrationally & acknowledged the stress was causing her to be short with everyone.

Lily has slept with

Please register in order to view this content

all three men in that room.

• Members

again?! the TVMSM thinks everything he does is breaking news. I know back in the day, if there was breaking news that interrupted Days and Y&R (knowing the networks would not repeat those episodes) we got PISSED. 

IA with you...but there is a thread right now calling for SSM to be fired, and it hasn't even been 3 months since her material has been on air. Many probably don't have a problem with it (I don't at all) but unfortunately some do. What I'm glad of is that we may finally have a Y&R regime that will take their time and rebuild and when they're ready the good stories will start up. 

• Members

Your avatar makes me giggle GregNYC, not sure why.  Thanks for the laugh.

I tuned in for the last half of today's, Friday's, epi and was pleasantly surprised.  Sharon's scenes where she's going over her mistakes with Sully, not telling Nick etc.  and staring at pics of Dylan were really well done and watchable.  Ditto her scenes with Victor who decided to be nice to her finally and tell her she belonged in GC and was part of the family.  That felt really right to me.

sucks balls.   The actor that played Jordan was good, believable, attractive and had chemistry with Lily.  What I would like to see is Cane and Lily break up, Cane and Victoria get together and Lily be on her own casually seeing Jordan on the side.  Is this going to happen?  Nope!  Cane and Lily will continue to be the most boring stupid couple on the show.  Why quit now.

• Members

CBS had no reason to cut-in to this press conference, except when Scott Pelley tipped it that Trump would be asked questions about the 9th Circuit decision. Honestly, that was yesterday's news. Ironically, it was a rare day when I was actually home and even though the episode didn't look good from write-up, I figured I'd watch. I turned it off as soon as CBS made this choice. 

Archived