DAYS Gets ANOTHER head writer change

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You and me both. But I pretty much gave up on that with the advent of Reilly -- his campy, comic booky approach forever altered the trajectory of the show. And today's creatives and audiences don't seem interested in a sophisticated soap -- at least, not on daytime. I think the success of Queen Sugar on OWN shows that it can still work really well today, though. I'm glad Carlivati is coming on because I do think his stuff is more entertaining than anything I've seen on this show in years and years ... but I'm under no illusions that we'll get '70s-era goodness. 

• Members

Back then there was a lot criticism over of "Oh Sami's losing her edge" or "Sami and Lucas forever!" yet I found myself enjoying Rafe and Sami as a new Roman/John and Marlena because by that point even Sweeney could take a piece of wood like Gering and make it work. Then again Sweeney and Scott had a lot of chemistry as the well and with one single stupid Sheffer style twist of "no means yes" and "have sex with me or else..."  the show outright sabotaged itself back then as well. 

The sad thing is I can watch Y&R til the day it ends just like ATWT and GL. Yet Days and B&B, despite being driven by heirs Ken Corday and Bradley Bell have driven their own shows into deep into the ground enough just like I gave up watching AW. 

• Members

Right. Reilly's lowbrow, campy dreck forever crippled the series, and there has never been a concerted effort or even noticeable desire to bring it back to its former greatness. I can accept the existence of Beavis and Butthead, but when Masterpiece Theatre is turned into its clone, I throw up in my mouth a little. Or...a lot.

• Members

Ron is a good choice. Sweeney may even come back.   He's certainly the sole head. Sheri Anderson and Ryan Quan are there for consultation on history.  Ron wouldn't take the job without having power.  This means NBC has control of the creative aspects for the next year and will renew.  I said before on this site that Corday got control for one year last year and now it's NBC's turn.

Poor Dena>>>>  in addition to her bitter tweet, she just revealed FB that she found out she was fired yesterday.  

Meng just friended Marlene McPherson (former head writer); wonder if she's coming back to breakdown writer.  I'm sure Ron will clean house with respect to the writers.  

Archived