Jump to content


Sign in to follow this  
John

Dallas: Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts


34 minutes ago, Khan said:

WTF?  Since when did Patrick Duffy have hair that long!?


it's been like that fro awhile...and to me....he looks very silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Roman said:


it's been like that fro awhile...and to me....he looks very silly.

 

He did an appearance on that show with Vicki Lawrence called " The Cool Kids" and I saw him with the long hair and beard. He was almost unrecognizable till he spoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dallas Fanzine is an awesome page. They have a lot of rare behind the scenes photos. In one they show Victoria Principal on the set of the 1978 5 part mini series with the Box family maid. The interior of the Box mansion is different than what was shown on camera. They used a different interior (with the dark woodwork) from another house. The Box house had painted trim typical of colonial style homes like the permanent Southfork. It's a shame that house burned in 1987. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to repeat myself but, when I re-watched season 1 & 2 of Dallas, I loved the original version of Miss Ellie when she was a bit more of a Lady Mcbeth.  Early in the series there are multiple scenes with Ellie and Sue-Ellen where she is telling her daughter-in-law to hurry up and get pregnant or Pam was going to have the first born heir to Southfork.  Later in the series Sue Ellen's mother played a similar role, but I was amused that Miss Ellie was not always as sweet as she appeared in later seasons.  

 

I like a bitchier Miss Ellie because it explains more of JR's motivations and sets the stage for the Bobby/JR feud that was later heightened by Jock's will.  Also, Jock's will was one of the best dramatic devices in response to the death of an actor that has ever been played out on a soap.  One has to wonder if Jim Davis had lived would the series have lasted as long?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, j swift said:

One has to wonder if Jim Davis had lived would the series have lasted as long?

 

True, and what if they hadn't been able to get Barbara Bel Geddes back? Donna Reed passed on in early 1986, and I doubt they would wanted to recast again. Larry Harman may have been the star of the show, but the Ewing parents proved to be irreplaceable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, Barbara Bel Geddes left again before the show's final season, and the show explained her absence by saying she (and Clay, right?) had moved to Europe.  If they hadn't been able to get her back after firing Donna Reed, they might've done the same thing with the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Khan said:

IIRC, Barbara Bel Geddes left again before the show's final season, and the show explained her absence by saying she (and Clay, right?) had moved to Europe.  

 

Yes, they were written out as going on an extended tour of the Orient. Supposedly, Barbara Bel Geddes wanted to retire from acting for good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, j swift said:

Not to repeat myself but, when I re-watched season 1 & 2 of Dallas, I loved the original version of Miss Ellie when she was a bit more of a Lady Mcbeth.  Early in the series there are multiple scenes with Ellie and Sue-Ellen where she is telling her daughter-in-law to hurry up and get pregnant or Pam was going to have the first born heir to Southfork.  Later in the series Sue Ellen's mother played a similar role, but I was amused that Miss Ellie was not always as sweet as she appeared in later seasons.  

 

I like a bitchier Miss Ellie because it explains more of JR's motivations and sets the stage for the Bobby/JR feud that was later heightened by Jock's will.  Also, Jock's will was one of the best dramatic devices in response to the death of an actor that has ever been played out on a soap.  One has to wonder if Jim Davis had lived would the series have lasted as long?

Miss Ellie's fallible side should have been explored more. On the other hand, the fact that she and Jock never quite reconciled their failings as parents made for some really good drama. The J.R./Miss Ellie scene is a classic, but I also love Jock's reaction at the end of his encounter.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linda Gray did several short tourism videos for Dallas last fall. I don't want to clog up the thread so I'll just post the link to the first.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...