Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I agree. The series was incredible. I really love the 1978-1981 episodes the best when Jim Davis was alive. I think his death was a blow to the series, but the biggest blow was the dream season reveal. Linda Gray was excellent during that time where Sue Ellen hits rock bottom drunk on the streets and goes into detox. She should have won an emmy for that storyline. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I just finished reading an interview with the late Michael FIlerman. One thing that stuck out was he said he would have never cast Linda Gray as Sue Ellen. He wanted Mary Frann and implied Linda got her job because she and her husband were friends with a big wig guy at Lorimar. I remember reading an interview with Linda and she said the woman who casting director for Dallas had her come in because she had been the casting director on the short lived Norman Lear show All That Glitters.  

Talk about to different stories.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hard to believe it's been 40 years since Dallas premiered. I was born the same year. There will never be a show like it again. I saw the reunion video. Victoria Principal never participates. She did the Return To Southfork, but that was it. She also declined doing the reboot a few years ago and said Pam was dead. 

The 1970's and 80's were a great time for programs. You could escape reality and go into a fantasy world to get away from your problems. Today we have reality crammed down our throats. Most shows today are depressing and vulgar. 

• Members

Dallas was a family show at the time, given its time slot of 9:00 on Fridays, it was watched by all members of the family.  At the time it was my father's dream to own a compound where his kids and spouses lived together throughout their lives.  However, looking back, it didn't seem very practical.   Did Momma, JR, Lucy and Bobby all have en suite bedrooms?  What about closet space for Pam and Sue Ellen?  In the pilot, they all seem to have their own spaces that are connected to the main house but by the series everyone lived in the same main house.

BTW,  I also like the original characterization of Miss Ellie as a bit of a Lady McBeth.  She was hassling Sue Ellen to get pregnant in order to solidify her marriage to JR and she was not always kind and sunny.

But my favorite was Marylee (sp?) the widowed member of the cartel who was always trying to seduce men by the pool.  Does anyone remember what happened to her after the Casey Denault stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...