Classic Y&R Episode Counts: May 1998

• Members

I thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane & perhaps discuss some of the stories of the time. Here's May 1998, one of the last months of William J. Bell's writing (at this point, he was co-Headwriter with Kay Alden). As 'luck' would have it, who's leading the episode count? Well, who else?!

May 1998 Episode Rankings -- A total of 21 episodes aired this month.

1. Lauralee Bell (Christine Williams) 18

2. Eric Braeden (Victor Newman) 15

*. Christian Le Blanc (Michael Baldwin) 15

4. Melody Thomas Scott (Nikki Newman) 14

*. Heather Tom (Victoria Newman) 14

6. Sharon Case (Sharon Newman) 13

7. Tonya Lee Williams (Olivia Winters) 12

8. Kristoff St. John (Neil Winters) 11

9. Michael Damian (Danny Romalotti) 10

*. Doug Davidson (Paul Williams) 10

*. Joshua Morrow (Nick Newman) 10

*. Sandra Nelson (Phyllis Romalotti) 10

13. Tricia Cast (Nina McNeil) 9

*. Anthony Pena (Miguel Rodriguez) 9

15. Shemar Moore (Malcolm Winters) 8

*. J. Eddie Peck (Cole Howard) 8

*. Shari Shattuck (Ashley Abbott) 8

18. Peter Bergman (Jack Abbott) 7

*. Candice Daly (Veronica Landers) 7

*. Alex Donnelley (Diane Newman) 7

*. Jennifer Gareis (Grace Turner) 7

22. Laura Bryan Birn (Lynne Bassett) 6

*. Jeanne Cooper (Katherine Chancellor) 6

*. Sabryn Genet (Tricia Dennison) 6

*. Nicholas Pappone (Phillip Chancellor IV) 6

*. Nick Scotti (Tony Viscardi) 6

*. Jess Walton (Jill Abbott) 6

28. Karen Hensel (Doris Collins) 5

*. Scott Reeves (Ryan McNeil) 5

*. Patty Weaver (Gina Roma) 5

31. Ashley Jones (Megan Dennison) 4

32. Carolyn Conwell (Mary Williams) 2

*. Marita De Leon (Joanie Garza) 2

*. Camryn Grimes (Cassie Newman) 2

*. C.J. Hunter (Noah Newman) 2

36. Leslie Bevis (Ruth Perkins) 1

*. Tamara Clatterbuck (Alice Johnson) 1

*. Brett Hadley (Carl Williams) 1

*. Bryant Jones (Nathan Hastings Jr.) 1

*. Andre Khabbazi (Alec Moretti) 1

*. Kate Linder (Esther Valentine) 1

*. Ernestine Mercer (Millie Johnson) 1

NOTES: Last month of appearances for Marita De Leon (Joanie Garza).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow thanks!

Please register in order to view this content

these will be fun to read!

as expected it was pretty much the Newman and Cricket hour back then, haha but the balance is better, and the amount of episodes for the AA cast was still pretty high then!

shocked Jess and Jeanne were that low cause I thought that was the start of the house story.

• Members

Thanks for commenting!

In May, Cricket was involved in FOUR major stories (two of them her own) and it's the month that included an ENTIRE episode of just Christine sitting at Nina's having flashbacks of her life with Paul and Danny and trying to decide which one. Jesus. That being said, you're right, the balance is much better and the writing is so good, you almost don't realize it in the Newmans' case.

It was indeed the start of the house story -- it started in April -- but it was very much at the slow build up part of it and the show was busy with the climax of other stories at that time.

• Members

Thank you so much for sharing! It's nice to see Tonya Lee Williams was at #7 for this month.

Christine just sitting around? Wasn't this around the same time that Danny decided to woo Christine away from Paul but then had a medical emergency and needed a kidney donation from Michael? Then after having sole custody of Daniel he just drops Daniel off at Phyllis' after trying to keep her away from her son for a "surprise unsupervised visit" so he can secretly spend the night with Christine?  After that I remember I was strangely ecstatic that as soon as Alden took over in July to see Danny written out because "lack of story" purposes which was I fine because I didn't like the ending to the Danny/Phyllis war and then Danny scheming himself to steal Christine away. Sure Phyllis finally got what was coming to her and more but Danny was a hypocrite. Even though some found it damaging I guess I felt some satisfaction in 2004 when it was revealed Danny had been a neglectful father and Christine dumped his smug ass. 

The house story started out rather weirdly. I remember early on there some unusual scenes where Jill and Victor were working late at the office Jill actually ended up in confiding with Victor and asking for his advice. 

I almost forget about Megan's first fiance Alec. My still in the closet self at the time found himself as very sexy! 

• Members

I think it probably would have gone over better if Sandra Nelson was playing Phyllis. I still liked Phyllis and The Stafford ©  at the time it wasn't until the following year I fell out with both actress and character until GT assumed the role. Amazing how much feeding a bloated ego can do to eat a show up alive. 

• Members

I remember some of these episodes from this month use to be on YT, and had some of the Danny Kidney stuff....I think one episode Michael, Danny and Phyllis got into a hilarious screaming match in Danny's hospital room...haha

I believe this was also the month where Cole and Ashley were out on a date, and they ended up swing dancing and had a weird black and white sequence of them swing dancing in 1930's clothes....haha

So Victoria Rowell was off the show at this point?....I know she can back later but left again.

• Members

@YRfan23 Rowell had left in March, in fact I believe her final scenes were the same week of the 25th anniversary as her and Neil finally called it quits over all the misogyny, secrets, and lies. She came back for a brief visit with Lily in the fall and after that we didn't see Dru again until her 2000 story. 

• Members

@soapfan770 Thanks! I didn't realize she had left so early.....I'll have to find the Approximate dates...I still don't even know how long her 2000 return stint was.

Yeah I remember her return was in September that year when she surprised Neil and Victoria with Lily....I remember the scene being on here, and Neil RE-introducing Victoria to Drucilla, which felt awkward, yet funny at the same time, as I thought Victoria and Dru were slightly more familiar with each other...

• Members

I'd think it was perfectly understandable if Dru knew who Victoria was but not personally. It's like the hilarious scenes of a tipsy Dru meeting Victor for the first time.

I seem to recall @YRfan23 her 2000 return lasted about six or seven months from at least March/April 2000 til no later after October because by that point Alex was on the scene mixed up in the Winters family affairs. It wasn't much of a story to crow about, the climax being Dru and Malcolm had sex on their own free not knowing Olivia died and went to heaven to see Nathan (Adam Lazarre-White returned for these Olivia in heaven eps) while Neil was at her hospital bedside. Olivia spending the entire summer on her deathbed was as bad, if not worse, than Sharon in spending months in hospital worrying about if Noah would live. 

• Members

You're welcome! Indeed it was, and without story! Just Olivia being a friend & doctor doing her thing. Also, good to see a much less harsh, cold Olivia than she would soon become (justified, but too much under the bus).

Well, she sat around for that one episode! lol Otherwise, she was busy running around choosing between Danny & Paul, which she did in May 1998, dealing with Danny's beating as you said, Michael's possible return to the law, and the start of Carl's return.

I thought that was pretty cool, considering their history!

So did the show! He was literally Megan's bitch.

Lord! Yes.... that's the one.

I believe VR was gone by early April.

• Members

@YRBB haha, I remember cause I think earlier in that same episode Ashley had a little spat with Victoria....and I kept thinking how did we go from the rocky/but ended up being kind of sweet and soft relationship between Brenda's Ashley and Victoria, to them fighting over one of Victoria's former husbands?....LOL and of course Heather's Victoria wasn't even match with Shari's Ashley....

They really had a terrific built up for the 25th anniversary! probably stronger then the 20th, where it just seemed to be about Victor on the farm,but this one they used everybody! 

• Members

They did but in the aftermath they were both very regretful about it especially Dru who voiced her concern to Malcolm she felt uncomfortable with their history and that her real endgame was a reunion with Neil, not with him. Malcolm realized he still had feelings for Olivia after that night. Neil and Olivia found themselves compatible but ultimately decided against going further given their family history and found Malcolm and Dru just as unacceptable which Dru agreed with.  Neil/Dru/Malcolm/Olivia was a ultimately a heavily psychological quad the same vein of Lance/Lorie/Lucas/Leslie and Ryan/Nina/Cole/Victoria.

Archived