Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Members

LMAO!

Alex didn't bother me, he grew on me. But I always hated when shows added some cute kid and went through hoops to make him happen.

I HATED Ron Rifkin's character and him with Ann, I was SO happy they offed him LOL. I didn't really like Ann with anyone (though Howard Hessman's character kind of grew on me and I thought he was a good match for Ann, even though Hessman seemed checked out, bored or grumpy half the time)

I thought the show often did a poor job pairing the women with their men. I really ended up liking Max with Julie (when we saw her ....) but I was never sold on Barbara and her eventual husband. But he grew on me in the last season where they played The Brady Brides with each other. I just felt it was more about the guys later in the seasons than it was about the girls. I preferred the feel of the early years.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Alex was not cute. He was the total opposite. But every show does it. Adds a new cute one to rejuvenate the show and it never works.

I also didn't care for Ron Rifkin's character. I thought the first 5 seasons of the show were great. Season 6 sucked and Season 7 improved a bit. I thought Season 8 was much better.  I did love the addition of Max and Mark. I especially loved the way Julie and Max met and later got married.

• Members

I liked Julie and Max.

I agree with you on Seasons 6 and 7.

I'm torn on Season 8. It just felt like a totally different show, not that it was a bad thing I guess. Shame LOGO doesn't seem to be airing it anymore. But they seem to cycle through shows, I think Bewitched and Green Acres are back on the schedule next week.

I didn't say I *thought* Alex was cute (he does nothing for me, but I don't find him ugly either, but then he didn't have a six pack and blonde hair

Please register in order to view this content

) just that I hated the whole concept of the "cute kid" being added to the show. He falls under that even if he's not "cute" lol

And yeppers, it always fails miserably and the kid disappears without a mention (except Married with Children and Seven, they poked fun at themselves there)

I also don't love it when shows add a new baby. I don't ever really see the point (Growing Pains, Too Close for Comfort, Family Ties ...). The babies don't bother me as much as the seven-ten year old "look how awesome a kid I am" additions though.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

There was suppose to be a spinoff after Season 9 but it didn't happen. It was suppose to be the girls and their husbands with no Ann. I think MP addiction to drugs once again during Season 8 or 9...don't recall which year squashed that idea. They couldn't count on her. I think that's why Season 8 feels so different to you @KMan101.

As for Logo...yeah they took it and Alice off their schedule that's why I picked up the entire show on dvd when it was released this month and also picked up Season 6 of Alice. And I know it will surprise you but I haven't seen Season 6 of One Day AT A Time.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

There are still little chunks I haven't seen of ODAT but I think I was able to see most of the episodes, LOGO was really the first time I saw the entire run of the show. I didn't have Antenna when they were airing ODAAT. And before Logo and Antenna, the show hadn't aired in syndication for a LOOONG time. I'll probably buy the complete series. I had a lot of shows on DVD that I ended up selling over the years lol so I'm now starting to rebuild my collection. Just bought Roseanne, I Love Lucy and Married with Children. It pays to wait years and years to buy them because a lot of box sets are so much cheaper now lol. I spent less than $30 each for MWC and Roseanne. ILL was like $40.

Makes sense about the spin-off idea. Wasn't terrible but it just felt so different from the flavor of the original show. Wonder how Bonnie Franklin felt about the spin-off and being used less, or was it her choice to be used less and move on from the show? I mean the woman basically carried the entire show for most of it's run. Not to discount Mackenzie or Valerie but Bonnie carried that damn show. Shame Mac was addicted to drugs at the time of the show, as much as Julie grated on my nerves, Phillips was just so good and the show never felt right without Julie.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Thanks to Logo I was able to watch this show once again since the last time when it ran in syndication in the late 80's after Guiding Light. There were some episodes that weren't shown on Logo that I have barely seen again on the DVD release.  I have Roseanne, I Love Lucy in both DVD and Blu Ray(was so disappointed in it) and MWC too and many more…LOL And yes the DVD's have lowered in price and you can get them cheaper during the holidays.

As for the spin-off….Bonnie and Valerie were ready to call it quits after Season 8. Both were tired and thought it had run its course. But the spin-off idea kept Valerie and Bonnie for another year. The spin-off intrigued Valerie and Bonnie knew the end was near. I am sure Bonnie would have showed up on occasion on the spin-off too after some rest from the show. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I agree with them that it had run it's course. I think Valerie could have carried the weight of the spin-off but it would have been better with Mackenzie around.

What about the Lucy blu-ray disappointed you? I'm glad I'm not missing much then by just getting the regular DVDs. I feel you aren't the first person I've heard disappointed in the Lucy blu-ray. Isn't Dick Van Dyke on blu-ray? Do you watch that or did you buy it? (Just wondering if DVD is better than Lucy on blu-ray)

And yeah, the stores have a decent selection of various tv shows for fairly cheap around this time of year. If I think it's cheap enough in the store I'll pick it up but I usually try to look online first. One of my nearby Walmart's even had Mama's Family the complete series (another Walmart didn't) but I had already just bought it. Forgot I had bought it lol. I bought it online.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I bought season 1 of I Love Lucy on blu-ray to upgrade on the picture quality. To my surprise the picture quality was awful and no better than the DVDs. The price for the blu ray was so high too that it wasn't worth upgrading. Season 2 was released on Blu Ray too but I didn't bother buying it. The reviews for the Season 2 Blu Ray release were awful. Same complaints about awful picture quality. Dick Van Dyke is on blu-ray and I bought it. The picture quality for this release is outstanding. The picture is crisp, clean and clear. I couldn't be happier with the purchase. It is much better than the DVD release of the show. I would highly recommend anyone to purchase the blu-ray release of the complete series of Dick Van Dyke. I also purchased the Dick Van Dyke 2 episode in color blu-ray that came out a while back. It was a release from a special that appeared on CBS. The picture quality is outstanding and love the show in color!

And I also have the entire collection of Mama's Family on DVD. I love that show and Bubba…..LOL

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I LOVE Mama's Family. Always have. LOL. I loved when it came on in the afternoons on TBS. It kind of disappeared after that until Logo. I think Ion aired it around 2006-2008 along with some other 80s shows. Shame they dropped that for endless reruns of crime shows.

Glad to hear it about DVD on bluray. I'll definitely get the bluray then. Shame about the Lucy bluray.

I love DVD (and Lucy too) in color. I definitely prefer them in B&W but I also really like them colorized. I love how CBS has made it an annual thing to colorize episodes of Lucy and now DVD. They did Andy Griffith but that was just one time. This was the second time CBS did the colorized DVD. I've lost track of how many times they've done Lucy. The specials do well in the ratings (but the demo is loooow LOL, though I don't think CBS cares), though I think this year they weren't as high, but I could be wrong.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

ODAAT was the first place I can remember seeing Ron Rifkin. I loved him and was shocked when he got offed. I didn't have a problem with Howard Hesseman.

The girls' husbands never made much of an impression on me but IIRC both went on to long careers - I think Boyd Gaines is onstage and the other (Michael Lembeck?) is a very prolific TV director or producer or some such. I still remember when the show threw in the towel on Mackenzie Phillips' problems and just said she left her husband and daughter, lol.

• Members

I mostly remember Gaines for his sad little role in Fame.

I mostly remember Lembeck because I thought he was very cute. 

I remember the episode where Max and Barbara began to have feelings for each other. Too bad it didn't go anywhere. 

That was also the first place I saw Ron Rifkin. He did stick out, but most people on the show did. I can't remember believing most of them, even people I liked, like Nanette Fabray and Shelley Fabares. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Lembeck was hot back in the day. The episode you mentioned about Max and Barbara recently aired on Logo. I thought they had a lot of chemistry. The show would've never gone there though. It would've been nice to see the fallout if something had happen. I could see why Max was attracted to Barbara.

I couldn't stand Shelley Fabares character. She was such a snob.

@KMan101  Several episodes of I Love Lucy in color have been released on DVD. Dick Van Dyke show has one out in color on Blu Ray and Andy Griffith Show has one in color on DVD. I was lucky enough to pick them all up. I hope more of I Love Lucy in color on DVD and Dick Van Dyke in color on blu-ray get release soon.

• Members

Shelley fabares character was best used in small doses....like a recurring guest star then a full time cast member.

I think Bonnie Franklin wanted to do some more stage work/theater so her presence lessened because of that.

I think MP's problems off set hurt the shoe because Julie was a pretty good contrast tomboy Barbara.  She also had good comic timing, yet was intense in the dramatic scenes.  Her absence was felt.

• Members

Most of my original ODAAT watching centers on the first five seasons. I've seen good chunks of episodes from the latter half of the series, but yeah, the "us against the world" theme was lost with Julie popping in and out so much and the husbands becoming such large parts of the show. IDK...I feel like it was the same show, and the characters just evolved, but I think they made a huge mistake in tying both girls down to husbands so young.

They did a good job of developing a stable of semi-regular characters like Francine, Kate, and Bob who could come in from time to time and stay fresh. Nanette Fabray is easily the most underrated member of the cast. I like to believe that Abuelita on the new series was purposely created to help fill the Kate role.

• Members

Considering how long the show had run by this time, and how checked out some of the characters could feel, the level of emotion in the goodbyes is moving. It's a real contrast to some recent sitcoms I watched that didn't run near as long but just felt flat by the end, and a good while before, like Parks & Rec.

This part really gets me, as does the duality of everything with Julie not being there (and the show refusing to tidy it up or give her a happy ending).

Max: I'm sorry I didn't do a better job with Julie.

Ann: I'm sorry *I* didn't do a better job with Julie. 

Edited by DRW50