Netflix: One Day at a Time

• Members

It dropped today.

I'm surprised to be really enjoying it. First episode is hilarious. I like seeing more diversity on the screen. The cast is good and Rita Moreno is fabulous.

They cast Schneider well. Yum. LOL

And they of course kept the wonderful theme song. Updated of course but I was happy it's an actual OPENING. Love it. I miss opening theme songs and credits on shows.

Edited by KMan101

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I generally find Netflix grindingly mediocre, but I didn't know Justina Machado - always the most underrated part of Six Feet Under - was on this. I hope the guy who played Rico can pop up too. I may have to watch it. 

I'm disappointed she doesn't jump in the air in the opening credits though. 

• Members

I'm watching the first episode now, and it's really good. I noticed Patricia Fass Palmer credited as a producer - she was one of the driving forces behind the original series. I didn't realize she'd worked on Gilmore Girls and also does the current Odd Couple series.

Justina Machado is hitting all of Bonnie Franklin's notes, and the actress playing the daughter is hitting all of Mac Phillips's, so that central conflict that was so important in the early years of ODAAT is perfectly preserved. The apartment even looks mostly the same.

The only lowlight here is Schneider, but I'll give him a few episodes for him to feel "real." The original series did such a great job of presenting him as the silly comic relief while also delving deep into his character with dramatic stuff from time to time.

All that being said, I'm still not sure WHY they had to call this ODAAT. It's a perfectly good sitcom that could have stood on its own two feet without the Norman Lear publicity. Now I can see that there are more connections to the old show than I thought there'd be, so it's cool, but still...

• Members

I don't mind they used the same name. Doesn't bother me really. I see a lot of complaints about it. It can stand on it's own, but I do think it helped to have the name.

I wouldn't call Schneider a 'lowlight' but they do need to develop him a tad better. He's funny and fits in well with the family, IMO, but he's not super deep at the moment. I'm 9 episodes in.

I love the updated theme song by Gloria Estefan. I love that they're willing to tackle topics you don't see enough of. Women in the army. Being treated like an afterthought by the VA.

• Members

I'm on episode 2, and I love that they're addressing social issues in a way that makes sense, and they're not afraid to have the long scenes necessary to make it meaningful.

Also love that the daughter is dorky as hell! The son is cute and funny - a good mix of Alex and early Barbara.

I like Schneider and Rita Moreno bouncing off each other.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

The show is not big belly-laugh type of humor (and neither was the original, TBH), but I did enjoy it. I especially enjoyed the take on the quinceañera, such a novel approach to have the teen daughter, Elena resistant to it, seeing it as part of a patriarchal system and the Mother, Penelope finally convincing her to participate as it would actually be a way for her to present herself as the pride of her single mother's successful effort to raise a wonderful daughter. I really liked that aspect and of all the shows I've ever seen featuring a Latina that had a 'quince', I've never seen that take!

I also liked the aspect that while Elena, at first, resisted her quinceañera, Penelope resisted taking anti-depressants for her PTSD. The show managed some heavy topics with humor, without going preachy or saccharine.

Somehow it was comforting to see that this ODAAT had their own Schneider, who kind of seemed like a hipster.

Rita Moreno is adorable as abuelita Lydia- that part when she came in to 'spoon' her daughter was laugh out loud funny!

The entire cast is adorable, in fact!

In an interview, Moreno said that Lear (who she loving called an 'old fart') is very much involved in this new series, and this new iteration's connection to the original is evident and pretty well done.

I also genuinely like how the theme song has been customized to this series.

I can only see this series doing well as long as they continue to take on issues in a way that is both humorous and smart.

How interesting that Netflix (along with shows like Frankie and Gracie) is becoming a true destination for multi-generational programming, especially when it comes to series programming.

• Members

Rita is 85!?!?! Jeez, and she's bouncing all over the screen on this! What an awesome scene to open episode 3 with her dancing in the kitchen while making breakfast for her family. I'm really loving this show

Please register in order to view this content

I can sorta see that, and if they went full-steam ahead in that direction, I would definitely be behind it.

Oh, I see the vinyl-filled bookcase in his apartment. They're definitely going full-steam ahead in that direction lol

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. I think the show's absolutely hysterical.

The Elena story was based on the producer, Gloria's, own experience. I also liked that they had her question her sexuality. And Lear's very much a part of the show. I mean the man is in his 90s! But he's very much a part of it.

Rita Moreno is amazing the way she moves for her age. She steals every scene she's in but Machado is just as good and amazing in her own way. Fantastic casting.

I'm adoring everything about this show. I like that it takes the Lear methods, longer scenes, tackling serious topics with a dose of humor. It's really very well done.

Yeah, the topics tackled are really good. I can't get over how much I've been loving the show. Just so well done. I didn't laugh one bit when I saw a preview for it, but watching the show I think it's full of heart and humor and it's not afraid to tackle the tough subjects but it's not preachy.

I was really proud of them tackling immigration with Carmen and her parents.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

They're also doing well with not going overboard with the issues - I just watched the ep about Lydia and Penelope's religious differences (awesome scene with Lydia explaining why she remains so steadfast in her beliefs), but now we have Penelope trying to get back into dating. You can tell Lear and PFP are very involved.

I like Schneider now, they've toned him down and he's not as wacky as the original Schneider, which works. They can either go full-on wacky but then give him some time to develop more deeply, or just keep him hovering between wacky and normal.

• Members

It's gotten crazy good reviews and I (full disclosure) worked on the release of last year's Norman Lear doc, so I have a fondness for the man and his works and am curious despite thinking it was a silly idea. I may have to check it out.