Y&R star's Twitter controversy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We may never know for sure. People think it's a cool meme, I read supposedly (who knows what to believe these days?) that he surmised that the person probably thought it was a compliment. So why would a hacker use his account to post something that they thought would make him look cool?  

I don't think it's cool, by the way. I think it's a meme that wreaks of entitlement, that says it's okay to assume that 'the blacks' would find this cool, taking Black audiences, including Black grandmothers for granted, when Y&R really has done very little other than put on a few Black faces on camera during its several decades. 

This makes me think of Victoria Rowell and the fact that there have been no Blacks behind the scenes (writers, directors, stylists, etc) on a show that has benefitted from loyal Black viewership. 

It irks me.

I don't want to have to think about this type of foolishness, especially feeling the way I do-- that I need a break from overexposed Victor.

• Members

I was under the impression that you thought the meme was made by someone white, but I see I was wrong. Apologies.

Still, I think people are either reading too much into the meme or just misreading it altogether. There's an entire culture of black people, old and young, who have no problem with that word in the context in which it is being used in the meme. This is not to say that everyone has to be okay with it or agree with it at all - I just think it's short-sighted not to realize that not every black person will think of racism when they see it.

Y&R's race issues...that's a topic I never speak on because I feel as though my south Louisiana point of view doesn't line up with any of the "sides" of that argument here at SON.

• Members

Eric Braeden has an infamous history with gaffes so I can see why it may be very questionable but on the flip side I don't actually see Braeden posting such a thing unless he thought in a way it was funny in poor taste type of way or something. Actually I don't see him posting anything that could be negative used against him at all. 

And don't worry @All My Shadows having lived in South Carolina as a Hispanic for the last five years now and going now as opposed to growing up in New Mexico is an entirely different world that's is truly unspeakable on any general message board regardless of the topic. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2017/03/02/eric-braeden-is-still-talking

"What was it like when your Twitter account was hacked? Especially for someone who is anti-racism, to have your face on a meme with the N-word on it.

I don’t give a damn because I know what I feel. And even that tweet was taken out of context. It is an affectionate term African-American guys use with each other. It’s an affectionate term amongst themselves. God forbid someone else use it. I’ve heard that kind of addressing each other in boxing gyms where I’ve spent a lot of time — you just hear that. Otherwise, if it’s meant in its pejorative form then obviously I resent it enormously. "  

I definitely don't buy the hacking. 

Archived