RUMOR: CBS looking to buy Sony television, could acquire Days?

• Members

Well that too of course....It took me a long time for the resentment to go away.....I am glad ATWT and GL released DVDs so that helps a bit...but this news just brings up the whole messy way both shows were treated.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even on the Sony Pictures website for DAYS, it's all copyrighted to Corday Productions Inc. Sony is a minority owner, but it doesn't have controlling interest over the show - why else is Ken Corday still there? He's the owner. Sony is the distribution company for the show. 

Y&R, on the other hand, is definitely owned in majority by Sony Pictures, but the Bells and Sony, per the Bill Bell biography done some years ago, stated that in the late 1980s a new deal was struck between the Bells and (at the time) Columbia Pictures that gave the Bells profit sharing that made them "akin to partners"...of course, the Bells by that point were on the verge of launching B&B, which they did entirely on their own steam, and retain sole ownership. 

• Members

It's really of no consequence.  Except for the fact that CBS could charge NBC for airing DAYS.  CBS is not trying to "get" DAYS.  LOL.  Let's Make a Deal sucks but it costs them almost nothing.  They barely give away anything on the show, someone wins the "Big Deal" about one out of every 5 times, and on any given day, the show on total gives away like $15,000 in prizes a day.  People usually never win "the car" or "the Big Deal".  They must pay about 1/8 of what they must pay the people at DAYS, including the "cash" and prizes they give on LMaD.  Wayne Brady, the announcer, the model and the staff.  And LMaD gets around 3 million viewers and a .8 Women 18-49.  DAYS would have to SMOKE LMaD in ratings for them to put it on instead of LMaD.  Les isn't gonna cancel his wife's talk show, so there's no room for DAYS on CBS.  DAYS would either continue on NBC if they want to license to air it, or it's done.  Unless ABC wants it.  It gets worse ratings than AMC or OLTL did, so that's a no-go.  Those are its only 2 options at this point - because I can't imagine them continuing production to put it "online"....online soaps haven't panned out. 

• Members

Here's a possible new threat to DAYS: Megyn Kelly is leaving FOX News for NBC, where she will anchor a Sunday night news show, take part in the network's special programming and "host her own daytime news and discussion program."  

From the New York Times: 

"It was unclear at what time the daytime program would run, or how NBC News would ensure that all of its affiliates would carry it, given that daytime television is often filled with syndicated programs. But people familiar with the discussions said NBC was confident that it would not be a problem."

• Members

I think this is a major issue for DAYS - there is no other slot controlled by the network aside from the Today show hours.

Kelly's daytime show is meant to allow her to drop her kids off at school and pick them up. 

Unless NBC has an option to revert the hour previously held by Passions back to NBC the DAYS slot is where Megyn Kelly will land. 

• Members

I'm not sure if it's wasting as much as just not fitting. Megyn Kelly is a very abrasive, if no-nonsense, figure, and not exactly someone the average woman is going to tune in for. Beyond Trump hating her, she's best known for getting furious when some people said Santa Claus was black. 

• Members

Yeah, NBC placing such huge bets on her is a mistake. And especially if they strand her with some sort of talk show in the middle of the afternoon. Katie and Meredith want to say hello, Megyn.

She's better off if they give her the 9am or 10am Today show hour. She needs a lead-in that's about news or she's going to fail no matter her so-called popularity. And that's not me just wanting to see DAYS not get cancelled, they could still cancel the show anyway and give that hour back to the affiliates but a lot of assumptions are being made over this deal.

• Members

The story is that NBC saw/heard that she posted big numbers in her stint guest hosting with Kelly. Numbers that hadn't been seen by Kelly since MS left the show. That with her highly rated show on Fox got them to offer her a deal.  I don't know why people think this woman has any talent or appeal when she's a blonde bimbo...

The only chance Days has to stay alive is if her show goes syndication route.

• Members

Strahan only left the show in summer, didn't he? If they're offering her the moon based on a brief ratings spike only a few months after, then they're idiots. Of course NBC has proven they're idiots many times over. More likely she's getting hired because right wing hacks run the network. 

Archived