2017: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure 

Not sure I agree but we'll never know. She was the newest member.  Her contract was up in October just when Sally and Kay came in.  Writers typically have longer contracts and I doubt she signed on for a year.  And why would she leave the top rated show for a show in danger of cancellation?  I think she was gently let go to make room for Sally's hires.  You can be sure Sally will install a few folks on the staff. She inherited Pratt/Phelps writers.  I respect that they are going to let contracts expire and not clean house willy nilly as Latham did. But there's rarely ever been a head writer who didn't add several of his/her own picks within first six months.

• Members

ICAM.  Of course, I wonder which writers could replace them.  Most of the ex-Y&R scribes, it seems, are working at B&B, retired/out of the business, or dead.  Do Sally and Kay have the time to train new writers?

• Members

The soaps don't train new writers.  They can barely break in.  Some recent high quality writers include Lyndsey Harrison who wrote for YR several spec scripts and was even lauded by Michael Logan but she was never hired.  Marin Gazzaniga was the best new find on the reboot OLTL and she's never been hired by another soap.  I see Sally and Kay bringing back Anne Schoettle or one of the long time fired writers.   Many of Sally's previous writing partners are either retired (Racina) or with other shows (Val Jean). I'd love Kay to persuade Mulcahey to leave B&B but he's got a sweet deal as script editor/writer/consultant and probably doesn't want to do an hour show.  

• Members

Yea Y&R has a pickle since their writers/producers either retired or went to B&B and elsewhere. To rebuild the writing team she'll have to bring in people that fit the vision she has to train them. I also wouldn't be opposed to someone like Sarah Bibel returning who was one of the last new writers hired from the Bell team. Only problem is that she may have moved on from soap writing and won't be interested. 

Archived