Why do soap writers not know how to write compelling storylines?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same. I don't get it either.

I love the UK soaps. I don't keep up like I should but I get annoyed with things like the constant misery or the constant cast changes but that's just me nitpicking. There's gritty realism and then there's misery. I think EastEnders, which I do love, tends to be a bit too miserable at times. HollyOaks is fun for a while but I get tired of the plot plot plot, death death death. And so many new cast members while others go ignored, etc.

• Members

I've tried getting back into Hollyoaks for the sake of my husband in my head, Duncan James

Please register in order to view this content

, but I couldn't do it. It's too sensationalized (like US soaps) for my liking. 

I'm easing back into EastEnders but the Carter clan makes it hard.

Corrie is all over place, so I don't even pay them much attention.

Emmerdale is the ONE for me! Always has been. However, I am pissed at them for making Pierce a damn rapist! That man is too damn fine to made a rapist. I hate that they didn't turn Pierce into a lothario. But other than that, I love ED. 

• Members

I got into Emmerdale years ago for a brief time. I'll have to try it out again.

HollyOaks gets me for a while then loses me. Rory Speed though ... yum. I also think it's way past time for Sienna to hit the road. I don't care how popular the actress is.

I've never gotten into Coronation Street. EastEnders has always appealed to me more but the writing is often too miserable for me but I guess that's the point.

• Members

Though it has been miserable lately, I think how EE has been handling the deaths of Roxy & Ronnie has been good. At least when it comes to Glenda and Jack. I do hate how they'd do cut aways from everyone when they'd learn the truth. Lee's story was good until it was made into another 'woe is me' story for Mick. I HATE how they've made all things Carter revolve around Mick. That's why the family is so piss poor in characterization b/c they have Mick eating everything in his path. None of the other Carters can be well-developed b/c it has to be all about Mick. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The problem with Eastenders in recent years isn't that it's miserable, it's that it's hollow. That's happened yet again with the aftermath of the R&R deaths - we saw almost no reactions aside from Jack's (Ronnie's husband), and most of the scenes just don't feel authentic. They literally cut away any time someone is about to find out. Doug Marland must be rolling. 

• Members

As you brought this up, I would've preferred that b/c they have a gigantic cast that everyone would've learned at once. I would've had someone like Max, Billy, Honey, etc. to have spilled their demise in the Vic and for everyone to react then. That way, we would've seen an array of reactions instead of numerous cutting aways. Everyone could've just dealt with the loss right then and there. 

• Members

To save time in everyone finding out, do the reveal during gatherings where most of the cast are gathered...then deal with the fallout.

Regarding the Cassandra story on AMC, I know a few people had no issue with the story...it was more seeing her torturedaughter over and over.  One friend said, for instance, when Jesse/Angie saw the online video of Cassandra being tortured...that we didn't see any of it...just their reaction to what they saw...leaving the viewer to imagine what they were viewing.

• Members

It's not just daytime.  The reason why cable/online dramas and comedies are as good as they are is those platforms let the creative people be creative more than the four networks do.  Network execs and heads now spend way more time driving the creative direction of their programming than they used to.  And it really shows in the quality of what they produce.

As far as soaps go, you need someone with modern sensibilities and an understanding of tradition and the foundation of the show they are working on.  They also need to love it.  A good HW needs to have a long term goal but with built in mini stories and spikes to show they can drive ratings in order to appease current network expectations.

Some stories will always work.  Young love.  The generational differences between parents and their children.  Social climbers.  Social issues.  The haves and the have nots.

I don't believe every story should always be character driven only.  Sometimes you need a plot driven story to add excitement.  But they shouldn't all be plot only.

I just wish that a show like DAYS or GH would give me a chance.  After years of crap, I know I could bring them better stories than what we are seeing.  And it wouldn't all be just 50 year old vets shoved down viewers throats.  You need balance.  Sigh.

Archived